Karagin, how much heat?

Pages: 1
KitK
07/19/10 12:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

From Re: Which is the better MC MkII Redesign? thread: "enough heat sinks to cover Alpha striking damn near every turn (boring)"

Hi Karagin. You make this kind of comment often, but I usually ignore it because in the past I have prefered heat efficency over the extra firepower. That design philosophy is slowly changing, so what I am curious about is what you consider a good minimum, average and maximum overheat from a single weapons salvo? Do you prefer to build in the overheat at long range or short range, or both?

KK
Karagin
07/19/10 02:33 PM

For me, a mech that builds up some heat is not a bad thing. You won't need to fire everything every turn so having 20 double heat sinks is pointless if the main weapons are two PPCs.

A mech that runs hot forces a player to think about things. Do I need to fire the LRMs this turn or should I wait and fire them next turn? Or okay we are at medium range, I am at 4 heat, so if I drop the medium laser I cool down to zero, so next turn I can fire just about everything and be back to 4 heat.

Things like are how I played and been beat, by folks who manage their heat, unload everything only when they need to, then go back to heat managing. So I am more keen to over time buildup. Now that doesn't mean I won't use mechs that equal out on heat, but at the same time knowing the weapons and their ranges means you won't be firing everything every time.

Average heat should, and this is my opinion, run at the most 4 to 5 on heat scale over the alloted heat sinks, this is what most 3025 and some 3050 mechs ran with and did well enough. Part of my issue with Alpha Strikes is two fold, one the folks who tend to do it are the players who found out about the board/miniature game via the Win95, 98, etc...MECHWARRIOR games or the Nintendo/X-BOX versions. Where the computer allows you to fire everything with out much worry about overheating, yes you may have to stop for a couple of seconds but you pay no plenties for it really. Then the other issues I have are power/munchkin gamers who need this to win all the time.

I prefer to play where you have to think, not just move shoot and destroy things in a single shot. If I wanted to play a game like that there are plenty of tank games for that.

So to sum up, a mech that runs 4 to 5 on the heat scale is something I see as an average, a zero heat mech that allows it to fire it's main guns more times then two or three can be fine as long as that if the secondary weapons (ie those medium or small lasers) people added means the heat goes up then that too is fine. Mechs that can fire all of it's weapons and build up zero heat and then do it again next turn, too me those are boring.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Zandel_Corrin
07/19/10 07:43 PM

I also used to follow the "enough heat to fire everything, every turn = win" policy but have found that it is a waste on most mechs. It only works for designs like the Awesome and even that required heat management.

Now i tend to choose a range bracket (short, med, long) and build enough heat sinks to cover that. This then becomes what my mech is designed to fight at... I still use the other ranges and add weapons that sometimes can't fire at my "Main" range but i don't worry about heat for those ranges as much as my mech shouldn't be there often. i have found that this allows me to add extra weapons / equipment and gives me a greater tactical advantage...

I like designs like the old 3025 T-Bolt and Stalker... sure they could never really Alpha strike safely but you could use one in any situation with a good chance of success.
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3816

Contact Admins Sarna.net