TRO3085 is out

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/29/10 05:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay it is out, bought the PDF/Book combo. Wife might be killing me here soon. So first look through...something of the mechs look decent, some well, they are different.

Artwork is better then some of the past TROs. The mechs are looking like mechs for the most part, then again I did cut the old teeth on the original line drawings of TRO3025 (the original and what was found in the original box set rule book). Overall decent artwork for the book. Plog once again shows he is better at adjusting other folks art then coming up with original work, he should stick with that talent. Though I wish they would do away with Cobra Commander faceplate look for the P-Hawk and Shadow Hawk mechs.

I did like the old is new again section, it seemed to follow a lot of the common sense approaches we have come up with ourselves over the years.

The updated PP mechs were nice...then comes the LAMs, yeah not sure about these, they are cool, but limited. Guess I will have use them and see if I like the new rules. The Shadow Hawk LAM was interesting none the less. The art looks still way to close to the Robotech/Southern Cross stuff for my taste.

Now I guess we will have about six months to a year to get to know these mechs and vehicles before a new TRO rolls out...

Also the Infantry section I think, could have gone in a supplement for the RPG, the level of detail given is more fitting to that game then board game.

And the rules for the LAMs are found with the Record Sheets...guess those will be in the next version of the core rule books when ever we get those.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CYBRN4CR
07/30/10 01:17 AM

O_O

LAMs? OMG I gotta see how they interpreted them. But overall I have to say one big fat resounding "About Time!" Especially with the reseens coming out in Project Phoenix, the LAMs were yet to be officially reintroduced into the BT universe.

The only thing is that with the Jihad done and over with around 3081 (maybe with a few WoB stragglers as there almost always are), what is the story now? The LAMs making a comeback make me think Star League v3, or just some continuance of the status quo but now with no Succession Wars to wipe out the technological progress, technological research centers like NAIS (don't know any others) analyzed the mechanics behind the LAMs in the Successor House war museums and were able to finally replicate the technology to make it workable in a modern scenario. A lot like how Stealth armor and the Void-Sig systems attempt to replicate and surpass the SL Null Sig and Chameleon LPS systems.

Either way, I look forward to Interstellar Ops, or whatever book contains those new rules.
CYBRN4CR
07/30/10 05:46 AM

Got the PDFs! Dayam! O_O Those LAMs blow my mind! They remind me a lot of the WoB Striga Omnifighter...but I like em. Very cool and glad to see the conversion equipment still has the same tonnage for each of the LAMs and for the first time Fuel points are allocated. Also took a sneak peak into the LAM quick start rules in the Record Sheets, and after a quick glance I'm impressed with the new thoughts on piloting a LAM and what happens with critical hits to the actuators. Plus it seems that the Airmech Cruising MP still remains 3x Jumping MP and now there is a Flanking MP based off that (though I'm not sure if that was always there from the start).

I'll have to look at it more in depth, but overall I'm happy for the reintroduction! Well done Catalyst!

On a side note, now I know what Eliz's Phoenix Hawk LAM looks like.
Karagin
07/30/10 01:26 PM

The Quick Start rules for LAMs are in the PDF called RECORDS SHEETS 3085
Karagin

CYBRN4CR
07/30/10 07:25 PM

Thanks. However, notice I did say that in the previous post.

Also written in pg6 of Record Sheets 3085 is a direct statement that the rest of the rules will be in Interstellar Operations so I will be very happy to get that when it finally comes out.

Quote:

The following quick-start rules allow players to use the LAMs
presented in Technical Readout: 3085. The complete rules for LAMs,
including construction rules, are found in Interstellar Operations.

Again, well done Catalyst! You have my full support!
Karagin
07/30/10 07:37 PM

Awesome for that...not all of us really care one way or the other about the LAMs, they have not been a huge part of the game, a side part yes, more of a "gee they are cool", then you use one and find out they are fragile and not worth the time or the effort. So if you want to use them enjoy.
Karagin

CYBRN4CR
07/30/10 08:43 PM

Yes those who will use them will see what happens. But overall I'm glad that little loophole in BT has been finally absolved. Now all the whiners will shut up about "bringing back the LAM" or "this is what the rules for LAMs should have been" (myself included to a degree but that's because there were rumors of their reintroduction and I wanted to contribute) since now they are canon again. Yeah there will be more people posting LAM designs, but I can live with that.
Karagin
07/31/10 08:15 AM

Munchkins will be tripping over themselves to get the perfect LAM.
Karagin

Voidshape
08/03/10 09:19 AM

What is an LAM?
New to the game... And little obsessed.
Karagin
08/03/10 10:53 AM

Land Air Mech, think of the Veritechs from Robotech or Starscream and Thundercracker from the old Transformers cartoon.

They transform from a mech into a hybrid Air Mech then it to an aerospace fighter. And one very rare and most folks didn't use them very much.
Karagin

Voidshape
08/03/10 12:31 PM

AH. ok.
New to the game... And little obsessed.
AJC
08/05/10 07:36 PM

LAMs are a bit more fragile than normal mechs due to the transforming components if those get damaged the mech is stuck in what ever form it was in at the time.
CYBRN4CR
08/06/10 01:15 AM

Incorrect now. The new 3085 Record Sheets tell otherwise.

Quote:

Damage to a LAM never forces it to change modes, but does
affect conversion as follows:

Shoulder, Upper Arm and Lower Arm Actuator Critical
Hits: May convert between Fighter and AirMech modes, but
not into or out of BattleMech Mode.

Hip, Upper Leg Actuator and Lower Leg Actuator Critical
Hits: May convert between BattleMech and AirMech Modes,
but not into or out of Fighter Mode.

Gyro Critical Hits: May not convert between modes (if the unit
mounts a heavy-duty gyro, see the last footnote on page 11).

If the LAM has a heavy-duty gyro, treat the first hit as a +1 Piloting
Modifier, and the second hit as the first gyro hit on this table. A third
hit to a heavy-duty gyro destroys the gyro. The first hit to a heavyduty
gyro does not impair conversion.

Edited by CYBRN4CR (08/06/10 01:18 AM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8490

Contact Admins Sarna.net