under water jump jets

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/10/10 09:26 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was reading this http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/158280 and thought about under water jump jets for mechs. There are two ways of going about doing that. First is to superheat water to well above boiling point to give thrust. Or the other way if to have turbines that pump in water and shoot it out some nozzles. In either case the water jump jets can only bring a mech up to level 2 depth and so can only be used in depth of 3 or deeper. At best the mechs head could be above water and can use any weapons located there to hit targets that are not in the water. Of course that does mean any return fire that hit would only hit the head making it extremely dangerous for the pilot.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
FrabbyModerator
10/11/10 06:16 AM

Why so complicated? All you really need is a small turbine or even propellers. Remember that the water environment generates a lot of lift already (I seem to recall a BattleMech would float if its external hull was completely sealed which it isn't) and your underwater "jump jets" only have to handle a mere fraction of the weight.
I reckon a single "jump jet" equivalent with a mass between 0.5 and 1.5 tons (just what a single jump jet would be on a given 'Mech) would allow a 'Mech to maneuver underwater just like a submarine.

That said, while you can houserule in a system along these lines, it would be a fringe product for a very narrow range of missions. Much like Torpedo Launchers, only even less useful. I can see some appeal in arena fighting (Solaris VII) but elsewhere it would definitely just be an oddball field refit.
10/11/10 08:43 AM

No that is not correct.

First mechs are sealed that's why there if flooding rules.

Second mechs are WAY to compact to float. Remember ships are mostly air. The fact that air inside of the ship that is displacing the water is what makes ships float.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
10/11/10 08:46 AM

Now I could see you getting two movement points per water jump jet because water is more dense than air and requires less lifting power.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Venom
10/11/10 06:26 PM

At any rate it has already been done. See UMUs and MASS
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5453

Contact Admins Sarna.net