Sea Sparrow

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
11/21/10 07:21 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
To continue to assist the militia forces of the Inner Sphere Assinine Industries has came up with some more lightly armed and armored but affective designs in the way of coastal patrol boats. The Sea Sparrow, Egg, and Albatross are not meant to be really used against front line units but for anti pirate and coastal patrol.

One thing that all three craft have in common is there inability to be sunk. The craft are meant to continue to float even if the hull is split in half. They are also meant to survive in the worst of seas. The craft are self correcting so if they are turned over they will correct them self’s with out the crew doing anything. The craft where tested in the worst seas available to Assinine Industries, and where able to survive being hit by a ten meter wave that would have swamped a ship a hundred times their size. The pilot was badly shaken up but no harm was done to the craft or the pilot.

Sea Sparrow

Cost 50,569 CBills

tech level IS L3
chassis Hydrofoil
vehicle weight 5t
engine 25 ICE 2t
cruse speed 17
Flank speed 26
Hydrofoil equipment .5t
control .25t
IS .5t

Armor 10p .625t

Front 1/3
FL/FR 1/2
RL/RR 1/2
Rear 1/2
Turret 1/1

Weapons
SRT 2 front 1t
SRT ammo body (10) .2t
Turreted MG .55t
MG Ammo Body (75) .375t

The Sea Sparrow is a fast attack hydrofoil that is based off of the old world torpedo boats. Its primary mission would be patrolling the local waterways and to deal with any problems if the threat is not great or to call in support and to continue to monitor the situation at a safe distance until the support arrives. If there is need to inter combat it is meant to come in fast, launch its torpedoes, and run away before the target can react to its presents. To allow it to inter areas that are very shallow it’s hydrofoil wings can retract into the haul so they will not be damaged if the boat hits bottom or debris.

The one real drawback is the crafts critically light armor. It can barely take light arms fire and survive let alone anything a well-armed craft might carry. Its only hope is to be fast enough not to be where the return fire is landing.

Both weapon systems are modular so the right weapon can be used for the right target. There are two machine guns that are available depending on what the intended target is. There is the 20mm cannon to penetrate hardened targets and then there is the 5mm mini gun to put lots of rounds into soft targets. The entire turret is removed and replaced to change out the machine guns. The SRT 2 can be swooped out for a SRM 2 system if there are to be targets that will not be in the water. Like the machine gun the entire weapon system comes right out and the new one is popped in. The MG and or SRT/SRM can be swooped out in a matter on minuets.

In a pinch the Sea Sparrow can carry mines or depth charges on the back of the craft.

Notable crew: During the demonstration of the Sea Sparrow and the Albatross abilities to some visiting VIP the test pilot of the Sea Sparrow decided to jump a part of a peninsula to so what the little craft can really survive. The section of land was 37 meters wide and covered with some light trees and underbrush. He intended to retract the hydrofoils at the last possible second sliding the boat over the land hitting the water on the other side then hit the targets that where set up for him to hit. Unknown to him in the middle of the night it was decided to move the VIP pavilion to that area to take advantage of the late afternoon shade.

The pilot of the Albatross knew what the other pilot intended to do. As the Albatross pilot rounded the peninsula he saw that the VIP pavilion was not where he expected it to be but was where the Sea Sparrow was expected to be sliding over the peninsula. He was just starting to radio the other pilot to abort the stunt when he saw all hell brake loose. The Sea Sparrow came flying out of the brush missing the VIP stands by less then ten meters. But completely obliterated the refreshment tent that was set up for the VIPs after the demonstration was over. He heard later that some of the VIPs where hit by some minor debris. Luckily no one was hurt. As the Sea Sparrow hit the water it continued on to hit all of the targets with the torpedoes and machine gun fire.

Despite the fiasco of the Sea Sparrows close call of taking out some VIPs the demonstration was successful. The VIPs where impressed by the crafts ability to survive such a stunt undamaged.

It was reported that the test pilot was seriously reprimanded for the stunt but was allowed to keep his job with Assinine Industries as a test pilot.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
12/24/10 11:43 PM

Nice blue/brown water fighter.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/16/16 03:29 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6290

Contact Admins Sarna.net