Mechs designed around rarely used equipment

Pages: 1
ix
01/10/11 02:25 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I wanted to see people's ideas for mechs that use rarely used items for specific roles. As an example here is my concept- a high speed Inner Sphere anti-personnel Sniper mech, designed to pick off unarmoured, high value human targets from range.

HVSniper

Mass: 25 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-F
Production Year: 0
Cost: 4,242,500 C-Bills
Battle Value: 530

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 225 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 97.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 151.2 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 HV AC/2
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 43 points 1.50
Internal Locations: 2 HD, 2 LT, 2 RT, 3 LA, 2 RA, 2 LL, 1 RL
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 225 5.00
Walking MP: 9
Running MP: 14
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 10 0.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 RL
Gyro: XL 1.50
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 89 5.00
Armor Locations: 4 LT, 4 RT, 4 LA, 2 RA
CASE II Locations: 1 RA 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 8 12
Center Torso (rear) 4
L/R Torso 6 9
L/R Torso (rear) 3
L/R Arm 4 8
L/R Leg 6 12

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HV AC/2 RA 1 2 8.00
@HVAC/2 (30) RA - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 7
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/10/11 10:41 AM

I would have to say that this is defiantly a different concept.

Personally I would say its not worth the effort to build and field. Hiring a highly skilled infinity sniper or an assassin would be far better. A man can go places where no mech can even dream of going.

Some suggestions, bumping the weight up to 30 or 35, adding some medium lasers for defense from other mechs, adding a targeting computer to the AC to increase the likely hood the target will be hit, bumping up the mechs speed, and adding jump jets. Everything I suggested except the TC is for the escape after the target is attacked.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
01/10/11 04:36 PM

Quote:

I wanted to see people's ideas for mechs that use rarely used items for specific roles. As an example here is my concept- a high speed Inner Sphere anti-personnel Sniper mech, designed to pick off unarmoured, high value human targets from range.

That's pretty specialized, but I like the attempt to use a HV AC.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ix
01/10/11 09:38 PM

Cray: cheers! Well it would be able to snipe at ammo, coolant tanks and any other lightly protected asset from extreme range, putting pressure on an opponent in a strategic scenario to deploy more assets in patrols.

Donkey: The targeting computer could certainly make sense. Jump jets seem rather heavy at this weight for the mobility it would provide and I see the mech more as following the contours of terrain. Adding more advanced tech to it would make Stealth Armour, Null Sig or Void Sig make sense to fit the sniper concept. I disagree with the idea of adding medium lasers to it as it would almost never win any engagement so there is no point trying, it would always be a machine that would flee.
01/11/11 12:33 AM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I put at least three medium lasers on any mech that I design no mater its use. You just cant beat the fire power at the weight and heat output. No matter what you come across you will have something to fire back with that will at least do something. Since it does not over heat nor use ammo it really does not matter if you hit or not. The intent is to delay being followed for long enough to give you some breathing room.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
01/11/11 08:27 AM

Quote:

Donkey: The targeting computer could certainly make sense. Jump jets seem rather heavy at this weight for the mobility it would provide and I see the mech more as following the contours of terrain.

On 25 tons, yes, jump jets require weight you don't have. However, even a few points of jumping mobility open up terrain that would otherwise be very difficult for a 'Mech. For example, jump jets allow you to fall any distance safely. Mountainous terrain will get a lot less bothersome and you need less supplemental equipment to perform orbital insertions. Again, your 'Mech won't fit them, but they're worthwhile in most circumstances.

Quote:

Adding more advanced tech to it would make Stealth Armour, Null Sig or Void Sig make sense to fit the sniper concept.

Stealth armor, at least, requires the additional tonnage of an ECM suite.

Quote:

I disagree with the idea of adding medium lasers to it as it would almost never win any engagement so there is no point trying, it would always be a machine that would flee.

Usually that's a dangerous gamble, but I think you're right: if this stuck around to fire its popguns, it'd be in trouble. Better to encourage caution in the MechWarrior.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
01/11/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Donkey: The targeting computer could certainly make sense. Jump jets seem rather heavy at this weight for the mobility it would provide and I see the mech more as following the contours of terrain.

On 25 tons, yes, jump jets require weight you don't have. However, even a few points of jumping mobility open up terrain that would otherwise be very difficult for a 'Mech. For example, jump jets allow you to fall any distance safely. Mountainous terrain will get a lot less bothersome and you need less supplemental equipment to perform orbital insertions. Again, your 'Mech won't fit them, but they're worthwhile in most circumstances.

I think that the 25 ton mech is a total wast of C-bills. It can't carry anything worth wiled. All it is is a fast hard to hit target. I would bump it up to 35 tons so you have more to work with.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Christopher_Perkins
01/12/11 03:02 AM

Perhaps a hussar mod?
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5795

Contact Admins Sarna.net