Should have kept Sarna.Net the center of CBT forums

Pages: 1
aldous
01/21/11 06:00 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Now classicbattletech.com is down. That would never have happened on nic's site!

Sarna RULES!
Nic JansmaAdministrator
01/21/11 02:26 PM

Uh oh, security breaches aren't fun. Hopefully they can work out the issues!
-- NicJ
Wrangler
01/22/11 09:18 AM

Sarna.net was the center of CBT Forums? I didn't know that.

Only thing is, i don't think Sarna.net could be center, since the offical CGL have an official say on the site I would think. Their bit restrictive on what developers/writers/etc can say and where.
When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
Karagin
01/22/11 10:34 AM

I think you missed the point he was making Wrangler, Sarna.net has been around in one form or another LONGER then the BT forums were and it covered BT before Warner ever put up his version of CBT forums, so yes for a while it was the center of and about BT.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/22/11 12:17 PM

Quote:

Sarna.net was the center of CBT Forums? I didn't know that.

Only thing is, i don't think Sarna.net could be center, since the offical CGL have an official say on the site I would think. Their bit restrictive on what developers/writers/etc can say and where.

Being in the center is not all that its cracked up to be. Would you really want to have the writers deciding what you can and can not say on the forum because it is or is not what they want said? I like it right here where as long as I am behaving my self I can say just about anything I want.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
01/22/11 02:01 PM

Excellent point and well said.
Karagin

FrabbyModerator
01/23/11 08:50 AM

Which reminds me:

There was a thread over at CBT.com about "What is the history of this forum?" with an interesting answer from, um, I think Peter_Smith.

I joined the circus only around 2007 and never knew about Sarna.net's history and that what became CBT.com evolved out of it. I have meant to write an article about the CBT Forums on this wiki for some time (hence bookmarked the thread mentioned above) but haven't done so and now the information is lost to me.

Therefore, if anybody here has the thread archived somewhere, or if you can contribute first-hand knowledge, please let me know. Or go even ahead and start the article on BTW.

Any takers?
*hit Cray button*
Wrangler
01/23/11 09:56 AM

Well, i like this format (software) little bit better than Sarna. I do miss having alot like minded folks around to talk about Battletech. I try work on the wiki-side, i do miss having being ask if something is canon if run into a problem when doing my achriving work with Sarna.net.

I don't mind being monitored, since I alway try to be have. I do know what you me, i think i had alot run ins with Warner Dole, so did bunch of my friends. I don't think (know of) anyone been censored for a long time on CBT since before went down. Alot were moved comments moved it because the wrong categories.
Karagin
01/23/11 12:29 PM

You may like being told what to do and what is okay to post or not, but the rest of us don't want TPTB telling us how to play the game beyond here are the rule books enjoy.

And while you are working on the Wiki, noting here that its' an open source set up and thus not going to be 100% correct since anyone can edit as they want, and then you or someone else has to go in and fix it.

I am glad you are supportive of TPTB, but do realize that there is MORE to BT then just them.
Karagin

fearfactory
01/23/11 03:17 PM

If it was not for sarna.net I wouldn't have known about things like battlemech designer and probably half of the information about BattleTech I know today. This place reminds me about my freshman days in high school when I was bored out of my mind in Montana. Some of my downloads are still up I think....
"The infection has been removed... the soul of this machine has improved!"
Nic JansmaAdministrator
01/25/11 01:59 AM

Search for "site:classicbattletech.com What is the history of this forum" on the Googles (used the Cached version) and you can read Peter Smith's post.

As for sarna.net, I think I started working on it around '96 (check archive.org for some funny old versions). The main content, file archive and forums grew over the following years. The forums were especially active in the late 90s. But I didn't have a lot of time (or desire) to moderate on my own, and there were only a few volunteers. There were some really heated discussions, nasty words thrown, and posts removed. As I was heading off to college, I couldn't handle the amount of moderation required and the forums continued to get ugly. I think people started migrating their discussions to the new CBT forums around then.
-- NicJ
Wrangler
01/25/11 10:32 PM

I'm having withdrawal symptoms from not having the CBT forums around now.

I'm kinda wondering whats going happen if they don't get the forums up soon.

New PDFs for RS:3085 the Cutting Edge and HTP: Falcon's Incursion have come out, yet there isn't really anyone around to talk about them. :/
Karagin
01/25/11 11:53 PM

Gee have you thought about posting your take on them here in say a review? Might get someone talking, also you could visit the other BT sights and boards...more to the game then just CBT forums, in fact there are better forums out there then CBTs, ones with people who actually enjoy talking and not trying to impose egos on others. Check Heavy Metal Pro Forums or Mordel's boards, or any of the other ones out there or better still post something here other then how wonderful you think CBT is. You might be surprised, folks will talk if there is something to talk about.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8640

Contact Admins Sarna.net