Knights of the Inner Sphere - Why did they appear? Why did they disappear?

Pages: 1
rider
02/10/11 12:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm the first to admit that I haven't stayed up-to-date on BTech current events or even recent history, but has anyone read anything that sheds decent light onto why the Knights of the Inner Sphere even showed up in the BTech world and why they were so easily gotten rid of?
CrayModerator
02/10/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

I'm the first to admit that I haven't stayed up-to-date on BTech current events or even recent history, but has anyone read anything that sheds decent light onto why the Knights of the Inner Sphere even showed up in the BTech world and why they were so easily gotten rid of?

They appeared c3050 in the FWL at the behest of Thomas Marik, who wanted some knights in shining armor to uphold the best of mankind and such.

They largely disappeared in 3067 when they were attacked with chemical weapons while on parade near the start of the Jihad.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
rider
02/11/11 10:35 AM

I was looking for the behind the scenes answer. Either thru BTech's official website, posts from authors/creators, does anyone know why they even bothered to bring them into existance especially since they did little to nothing with them in the storyline and promptly eliminated them with the next big swing of BTech world change.

If no one knows any concrete explanation feel free to put forth your own theory.

Donald Phillips authored the novel Star Lord where they first appeared. I liked the book, but it was very much like a stand alone sci-fi book than something that fit cohesively into the whole BTech world. Was Philips just a friend of some of the staff, asked to do a novel just to get product out the door, his knights idea just an interesting quirk that were never intended for further development?
Were they just a flash in the pan like the novels that created Avanti's Angels and the Blackthorns?
I guess I could be convinced of that though the Knights concept thing seemed more like a new toe-hold to begin development of the Free Worlds League as a whole - as if to say "here's where the FWL is going in terms of game-history, stay tuned for further developments" - yet nothing really further developed. The knights were an abnormal spike in the data to an already established tone/direction that the FWL was being remade in.

Thoughts?
CrayModerator
02/11/11 09:20 PM

Quote:

I was looking for the behind the scenes answer. Either thru BTech's official website, posts from authors/creators, does anyone know why they even bothered to bring them into existance especially since they did little to nothing with them in the storyline and promptly eliminated them with the next big swing of BTech world change.

Behind the scenes reason for their introduction? No, I don't know that. That's a 1990s FASA question.

Why they were destroyed? That's easy: they were the tool of a Comstar/WoB tool who stopped being a tool. Take away the tool of a rebellious tool to punish the rebellious tool.

You might have better luck getting an answer on www.classicbattletech.com's forums, which have much higher traffic and more attention from the game's developers.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5518

Contact Admins Sarna.net