What happened to the Smoke Kitty castes?

Pages: 1
LAMdriver
04/01/11 02:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

This is a question that has been rolling around in the empty space between my ears for a while now.

What happened to the Smoked Jaguars' castes after the Clan was destroyed on Huntress?

I can guess that most of them were swallowed up by the other Clans, joined the dark caste, or joined Paul Moon to form The Fedalis, but were some of the scientists and techs captured by Inner Sphere forces?

The reason that I am asking this is Experimental Mechs and such in the XTROs like the FedSuns one have Mechs that have Clan equipment. Where these captured ones put to work to help understand the Clan technology and help them produce it?
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
CrayModerator
04/01/11 09:21 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

I can guess that most of them were swallowed up by the other Clans

This. Their territories were claimed by other Clans.

Quote:

joined the dark caste,

Note that the "dark caste" is not really an organized caste. Saying, "A civilian Clansman joined the dark caste" is like saying, "An American became a homeless hobo."

Quote:

but were some of the scientists and techs captured by Inner Sphere forces?

Not in any great numbers that impacted research.

Quote:

The reason that I am asking this is Experimental Mechs and such in the XTROs like the FedSuns one have Mechs that have Clan equipment. Where these captured ones put to work to help understand the Clan technology and help them produce it?

The Inner Sphere has been collecting Clan salvage since 3050, almost a decade before the Smoke Jaguars died, and XTROs are written almost two decades after the demise of the Jaguars.

By 3080, the Inner Sphere had been defeating and overrunning Clan military units (and their civilian caste support teams) and capturing Clan DropShips for almost 30 years. The Inner Sphere has been running covert ops against the Clans for 30 years, and the Clans are so inept at spying/counter-intelligence/covert-ops that they make the Boy Scouts look like veteran ninjas. Further, the Inner Sphere has been trading - for military goods - with the Clans for about 20 years.

The Smoke Jaguars are a non-issue. The Inner Sphere has had 3 decades of collecting Clan technology, Clan personnel, and Clan blueprints to reverse engineer the goods. Even before the fall of the Jaguars, the Inner Sphere was building its own samples of Clan technology (I believe the Tactical Handbook or MaxTech indicates that) - they were just extraordinarily expensive and built in lab quantities.

By the late 3070s, the Inner Sphere was able to buy more goods from the Diamond Sharks, had 3 decades of salvage and covertly stolen supplies, and 3 decades of practice building Clan technology. If you flip through XTRO:Marik (especially the Awesome), you'll notice domestic production is still haphazard and flawed, but the Inner Sphere is getting there.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4620

Contact Admins Sarna.net