Mech's in space!!!!

Pages: 1
Xephan
03/14/11 05:59 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Has anyone found the rules for useing battlemechs in space? And if so what books contain them?
FrabbyModerator
03/14/11 06:18 AM

There's a thread over at classicbattletech.com regarding this topic. It is called "Tell me about... 'Mechs in space combat" (in the "Aerospace combat" section). Unfortunately, it turns out I cannot post links here although I think I used to be allowed that - apparently some security upgrade.

Anyways, check out classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,1622.0/all.html
Xephan
03/14/11 06:22 AM

Thank you kindly sir.
CrayModerator
03/14/11 11:13 AM

Quote:

Has anyone found the rules for useing battlemechs in space? And if so what books contain them?

Short Summary:

Strategic Operations, pg22, discusses conversion of land units (including 'Mechs) to aerospace rules. 'Mechs, for example, have a thrust rating equal to Jumping/3 (round down) and fuel points equal to Jumping x2.

StratOps, pg119, discusses land unit combat in space. 'Mechs, for example, have a penalty of +4 to shoot anything because of the comparatively extreme distances of all targets.

Per SO, pg119, 'Mechs (and other ground units) are also subject to Tactical Operations' rules for 'Mechs in vacuum. (Don't have the TO page number handy. However, on any hit, roll 2d6. On a 10+ that location is holed and every item in that section is considered wrecked. Fear LBXs and SRMs.)

SO pg247 gives a fluff overview of why it's really dumb to use 'Mechs in space, if it wasn't clear from the summary above.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/14/11 02:46 PM

Quote:

Short Summary:

Strategic Operations, pg22, discusses conversion of land units (including 'Mechs) to aerospace rules. 'Mechs, for example, have a thrust rating equal to Jumping/3 (round down).

So I can use my VTOL in space! It just has a speed of 5 (jump of 15 /3 = 5).

*Ducks back into the cockpit of my mech before someone throws something at me bigger than a beer can.*
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Christopher_Perkins
03/15/11 07:20 PM

I would Hazzard that Hovercraft, Naval Vessles, Submarines, VTOLs, Wing in Ground Effect craft, and Aircraft may not be used in Vacuum environments.

Hostile Environment sealing would still be useful for these types for Hostile Environments (ISTR Submarines are already Hostile Environment Rated.?)
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/16/11 02:31 AM

Submarines would be useless in any other liquid than water do to density.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
03/16/11 06:40 PM

Quote:

Submarines would be useless in any other liquid than water do to density.

For an off-the-shelf submarine optimized for water, yes.

However, a lot of plausible extraterrestrial liquids are close to water in density (e.g., liquid nitrogen, ammonia, hydrocarbons). A submarine built for operations in a wide range of environments should get by pretty well with some adjustable ballast weights and over-sized ballast tanks. Buoyancy is actually the least of the problems in making a multi-environment submarine.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Christopher_Perkins
03/18/11 02:19 PM

humm, would Environmentally Sealed Wheeled Vehicles be useful for sea floor operations or would it be tracked only?

Granted, best all around would be Submersible Types with Sealed IndustrialMechs (or BattleMech Chassis) being a distant second.

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Xephan
03/19/11 12:35 AM

What sort of sea floor operations are we talking about? Combat?
CrayModerator
03/19/11 09:56 AM

Quote:

humm, would Environmentally Sealed Wheeled Vehicles be useful for sea floor operations or would it be tracked only?

Environmental sealing does not allow ground vehicles to operate underwater. TacOps would allow them to be amphibious if you gave them an amphibious mod, but not underwater.

Christopher_Perkins
03/22/11 12:47 PM

interesting...
Crush Depth... or mobility Kill from the silt?

CrayModerator
03/22/11 07:33 PM

Quote:

interesting...

No reason given. They're simply not on the underwater units list.

Christopher_Perkins
03/29/11 12:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

interesting...

No reason given. They're simply not on the underwater units list.

Step out on limb... have long given up on compleetion from PTB.

CrayModerator
03/29/11 08:27 PM

Quote:

Step out on limb... have long given up on compleetion from PTB.

Yes, BT's writers and developers sometimes leave out extremely obscure niche vehicle features or rules.

Edited by Cray (03/29/11 08:34 PM)
Christopher_Perkins
03/30/11 03:27 PM

Seriously, considering that there are at minimum real world proposals for seabed wheeled vehicles (solid wheels, of course) appears that would make a good candidate for Experimental (more likely - Pre or Early Spaceflight Technology) or Advanced rules (less likely)

CrayModerator
03/30/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

Seriously, considering that there are at minimum real world proposals for seabed wheeled vehicles

Yes, and they're built as submarines, like the 1897AD Argonaut I. Current rules let you take submarines down to skim the seafloor. You are perfectly entitled to say your submarines have wheels or tracks so their seafloor skimming doesn't get them stuck in muck.

Quote:

appears that would make a good candidate for Experimental (more likely - Pre or Early Spaceflight Technology) or Advanced rules (less likely)

1) No, ground vehicles that can travel below depth 0 water are not good candidates. There's a point where something stops being "completeness" and becomes "pointless waste of words better suited for other rules."

2) Something can be "Experimental" and "Pre-Space."

Edited by Cray (03/30/11 07:20 PM)
Christopher_Perkins
04/07/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Yes, and they're built as submarines

interesting... even with the wheeled chassis i would definately figure that they had the same crush pressure resistance...

Quote:

like the 1897AD Argonaut I.

humm... ill look it up

Quote:

Current rules let you take submarines down to skim the seafloor. You are perfectly entitled to say your submarines have wheels or tracks so their seafloor skimming doesn't get them stuck in muck.

Look at what fluffed out stuff have done to Hatchets, Spotlights, and many other things

Quote:

1) No, ground vehicles that can travel below depth 0 water are not good candidates. There's a point where something stops being "completeness" and becomes "pointless waste of words better suited for other rules."

if the 10% vehicle mass environmental sealing would have been adequate, then no additional words would be required

I had assumed that the 10% environmental Sealing allowed Conventional Wheeled and Tracked vehicles to operate in all the environments that BattleMechs could operate in...

Quote:

2) Something can be "Experimental" and "Pre-Space."

notice placement of parentheticals

Quote:

appears that would make a good candidate for Experimental (more likely - Pre or Early Spaceflight Technology) or Advanced rules (less likely)

This would more likely fall under experimental rules (since it is long out of production in the 3067 time period) than it would be to fall under advanced rules.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11866

Contact Admins Sarna.net