Armament:
5 Medium Lasers
2 MRM-10
6 ammo MRM-10

The MRM's are in the two arms
two of the medium lasers and half of the ammo bins are in each side torso
the last medium laser is in the center torso

I want to see what people think before I explain this design
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KitK
04/30/11 12:02 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Looks pretty solid, durable, and affordable. I can't imagine you need that much ammo though. 6 tons is 72 shots per launcher. You might be able to go with ER mediums if you cut 4 tons of ammo for heatsinks (and have the space). C.A.S.E.?
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/30/11 05:19 PM

Sorry I was to busy with work to finish.

The idea behind this mech would not be quite within the rules.

The rockets would be fired over a couple kilometers into very large targets like supply dumps, grounded drop ships towns and so on. There meant to do a great deal of collateral damage to large areas and not hit specific targets. It has a large amount of ammo so it can keep a bombardment up for some time before defenders can arrive to stop the bombardment. The medium lasers are to help it extract its self if attacked directly.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/01/11 11:22 AM

Quote:

Sorry I was to busy with work to finish.

The idea behind this mech would not be quite within the rules.

Indeed. The MRMs - weapons I avoid like the plague because of their abysmal short range, low accuracy, and lack of indirect fire - only have a 450-meter range. However, there are several in-game options to make your plan work:

1) Arrow IVs. Too big for your 'Mech, but they give more than a "couple of kilometers" range and represented classic rocket bombardment weapons.

2) LRMs. You get an automatic range extension to 630m, much better short and medium range brackets, and they combine better with Option 4, below.

3) ELRMs. These have a 38-hex range (1140 meters) without pulling out optional rules. They are, hands down, the longest ranged non-artillery weapons in the game.

4) Extreme and Line-of-Sight Ranges (pg85 TO). Extreme ranges double the medium range of a weapon, so ELRM would have an extreme range band of 39 to 44 hexes (1320m). Line-of-sight ranges (LOS) allow weapons to attack at ranges "equal to the size of the playing area." If you're playing on a grid of 20 x 20 maps, then you can fire across those with LOS rules. Weapons must have a minimum of 13 hexes range to use LOS ranges, which does include MRMs, but MRMs blow chowder. In both Extreme and LOS cases, there is damage reduction and severe to-hit penalties.

Quote:

There meant to do a great deal of collateral damage to large areas and not hit specific targets.

You'd definitely be better off with LRMs, then. MRMs have no alternate warheads; they only rain dumb explosive missiles on a target (or, more likely, some empty hex several hexes away). LRMs, however, can deliver anything from mine fields to incendiary and smoke shells on targets. Got a bridge you want to interdict? Spray Thunder mines on its from LOS distances. Got a fuel dump in your sights? Spray incendiary missiles on it. See a mass of infantry in parade formation? Spray fragmentation missiles on them. Is there a forest hiding the bad guys? Again, incendiary. Don't know where the bad guys are exactly? Find a navigational choke point like a valley and spray it with mines.

Quote:

It has a large amount of ammo so it can keep a bombardment up for some time before defenders can arrive to stop the bombardment.

That is a good idea. When firing at extreme and LOS ranges, you'll miss often. Lots of ammo is a must.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
05/01/11 04:02 PM

The thing that I like about the MRM over any other missile system is that the ammo costs next to nothing. Great for blind shooting of none specific targets.

I have a mech full of ammo that will take forever to use up for the cost of one ton of LRM ammo that will be gone faster than you know it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/01/11 07:43 PM

Quote:

The thing that I like about the MRM over any other missile system is that the ammo costs next to nothing. Great for blind shooting of none specific targets.

That's true, but do you want cheap ammo or a versatile war machine that can get a lot of missions done? Sometimes the price is worthwhile.

Though, honestly, if you're using the line of sight rules and are concerned about ammo costs, then you probably want energy weapons. A PPC doesn't run out of ammo.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ix
05/04/11 09:44 PM

"is that the ammo costs next to nothing"

This is an interesting concept and something it'd be interesting to see taken into account in a campaign scenario. MRMs are cheap but heavy, good for a planetary defence force while a force that comes via dropship should have costs based more on weight.
05/05/11 05:13 AM

The idea behind this mech was more for a story than game play.

In a story you can be more realistic in how things work than having to worry what makes things work for making a game manageable.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
12/16/16 03:27 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7923

Contact Admins Sarna.net