Panhard VBL

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
08/16/02 10:31 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Société de Constructions Mécaniques Panhard et Levassor of the Outworlds Alliance developed the Panhard Véhicule Blindé Leger (VBL) in the late 2980s to meet the Outworlds' requirement for a new light reconnaissance/anti-tank vehicle. The first production vehicle was completed in 2990.

There are two basic versions of the VBL: combat/ anti-tank model with a three-person crew and an SRM 2, and the intelligence/scout model with a two-person crew and armed with twin 12.7mm miniguns. The standard production VBL has a wheelbase of 2.45m, but the vehicle can also be built with a wheelbase of 2.7m, which increases the vehicle's internal volume (something much appreciated by scouts on long missions).

Fully amphibious, the VBL is propelled in the water by a single propeller mounted under the rear of the hull. It has a maximum water speed of 4.5km/h (1 hex/two turns - don't try this in combat, kiddies).

Standard equipment includes an NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) protection system and thermographic night vision systems, though shortages of electronics often result in OA VBL's over a few years old lacking functional night vision systems. All production VBLs are fitted with a central tire-pressure regulation system, power steering, air conditioning, and an NBC filtration and overpressure system. The standard air-cooled diesel of the VBL is just short of being immortal and can be maintained by even the least educated mechanics. It handles extremes of temperature and dusty conditions with aplomb.

Since 2990, the Panhard VBL has spread through Davion planetary guards units and into the hands of independent Periphery militias. Unlicensed copies are being produced in the Marian Hegemony, both in the anti-tank, "Scout-H" version (one MG and one RL-10), and original scout versions. The Hegemony is suspected of using the scout version for crowd control, something the twin MGs would excel at. In 3052, Quikcel began manufacturing a licensed version for the Inner Sphere, which used a 25 Omni fusion engine and carried slightly more ferro-fibrous armor.

code:

PANHARD VBL
5 tons wheeled vehicle
1 ton 25 ICE
Cruise: 9
Flank: 14
0 tons 0 SHS
.25 tons controls
.25 tons turret
1.5 tons armor
Front: 5
Sides: 5
Rear: 4
Turret: 5
1 ton SRM 2 (turret)
.5 tons SRM Inferno ammo (turret)

VARIANTS
The intelligence/scout model replaces the SRM 2 with a pair of MGs and a half ton of ammo. The Marian Hegemony's scout has a single MG, a half ton of ammo, and an RL-10. The Quickcel version has a 25 Omni fusion engine and 1.75 tons of ferro-fibrous armor. Currently, Quickcel only manufactures VBLs with weapons like the original OA model, but laser-based models are due in 3067, and Quickcel claims it has secured a contract to manufacture 100 weaponless VBLs carrying Beagle Active Probes. A popular field modification of the scout removes 1 MG for 500kg of supplies and remote sensors.

Pictures:
Panhard VBL
Amphibious, Seriously
With, uh, SRM 2
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (08/16/02 02:32 PM)
Karagin
08/16/02 02:21 PM

I have a couple of versions of this one...I will post them for you to compare and all.

I like this one.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Acolyte
08/17/02 12:01 AM

Nasty! I can just imagine a company of these things just waiting to ambush my players.........

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
01/02/05 10:29 PM

Code:
  Type/Model:    Panhard ALM
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3025
Config: Wheeled Vehicle
Rules: Level 1-FA, Standard design

Mass: 17.5 tons
Power Plant: 70 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
1 Autocannon/2
3 Machine Guns
Manufacturer: ALM
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Panhard ALM
Mass: 17.5 tons
Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 10 pts Standard 0 1.75
Engine: 70 I.C.E. 0 4.00
Cruise MP: 5
Flank MP: 8
Heat Sinks: 0 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 .88
Crew: 2 Members 0 .00
Turret Equipment: 0 .75
Armor Factor: 8 pts Standard 0 .50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 2 2
Left / Right Sides: 2 2/2
Rear: 2 1
Turret: 2 1

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 Autocannon/2 Turret 0 45 2 7.00
3 Machine Guns Turret 0 200 4 2.50
Miscellaneous Equipment Body 1 .12
TOTALS: 0 7 17.50
Items & Tons Left: 1 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 160,370 C-Bills
Battle Value: 91
Cost per BV: 1,762.31
Weapon Value: 6 / 6 (Ratio = .07 / .07)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 3; MRDmg = 2; LRDmg = 1
BattleForce2: MP: 5W, Armor/Structure: 0 / 1
Damage PB/M/L: 1/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: GL; Point Value: 1

Karagin

CrayModerator
01/03/05 11:23 AM

Karagin, is your Panhard meant to imitate a real world French Panhard armored car, or does it just have the same name?

Either way, your vehicle looks like it's taking quite a gamble with that light armor, but the balance of tonnage, speed, and weaponry is interesting. Is it meant mostly to deal with lightly armed insurgents?

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
01/03/05 01:07 PM

It;s meant to be a close take on the real world Panhard AC, and at the same time a cheap tank for those who need one.

I have used it to harrass mechs and other vehicles, normally running away or hiding in woods etc...

You could say yes it's made to fight lightly armed insurgents and other such groups. Police would be the main user of this outside of a plantary milita or merc unit.
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/10/11 06:29 PM

Bump

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/10/11 10:12 PM

I like yours Cray

Karagin's is way to heavy, I would ditch the AC-2 for a LRM-5 and a half ton of ammo. I would also ditch half of the MG ammo.

Here is my version
tons 5
speed 9/14
2 tons armor
LRM-1
MG with .25 tons ammo

I'm finding that I really like my LRM-1 for ultra light armored vehicles.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10467

Contact Admins Sarna.net