Which Battlemechs should have dual cockpits?

Pages: 1
Karagin
03/19/10 09:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
My choices for this:

Archer
Stalker
Catapult
Warhammer
Battlemaster
Atlas
Yeoman

This is just start of the list for me, so what mechs do you guys feel should have dual cockpits and why do you think they would gain something from that or not.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
FrabbyModerator
03/19/10 06:53 PM

Given that a Dual Cockpit with a trained crew is flat out better (effectively a power multiplier), your inner munchkin wants it in each and every 'Mech that can fit one. Much like with Clan stuff, the drawbacks are rooted in the fluff, in this case the scarcity of trained MechWarrior teams.

That said, the advantages of Dual Cockpits favor faster 'Mechs with heavy firepower (and the heat sinks to use both); armor is less of an issue because of the improved to-hit movement modifiers.
ix
06/27/10 11:38 PM

"your inner munchkin wants it in each and every 'Mech that can fit one"

Has my inner-munchkin missed some rules? Why would you want more than one for the initiative bonus?
FrabbyModerator
06/28/10 05:10 PM

Check out the rules for the Dual Cockpit on Sarna.net's wiki - it grants vastly more than just an initiative bonus.
ix
07/30/11 06:32 PM

Wow, those rules are terribly broken. Limiting them by cheesy canon about their rarity is not a good workaround, if they were that good every mech built would have it. One'd need to add something that enforces the rarity like requiring identical twins as pilots or something even rarer.
CrayModerator
07/31/11 10:27 AM

Quote:

Wow, those rules are terribly broken. Limiting them by cheesy canon about their rarity is not a good workaround, if they were that good every mech built would have it. One'd need to add something that enforces the rarity like requiring identical twins as pilots or something even rarer.

Dual cockpits have not been republished in works following the Mechwarrior Companion (for the 2nd edition MW RPG). They didn't appear in subsequent publications like BattleTech Master Rules, Maximum Technology, Total Warfare, or Tactical Operations. Technically, the dual cockpit rules are still valid but they haven't been used in any published design or mentioned again. Basically: swept under the rug.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Lord_Kjeran
11/08/11 09:36 PM

Chello!

I think the op list is a good. I think maybe the Orion as well?

From a fluff standpoint, they're good for command vehicles. Wasn't it "Heir to the Dragon" where theodore Kurita goes into battle in a dual-cp Battlemaster? The rationale being that as the regiment commander, he could concentrate on running the battle while his pilot ran the mech.

From a crunch standpoint, yeah, not much use without become way overpowered. Maybe a rationale for stripping some armor or weapons to add ECM equipment.
Lord_Kjeran
11/08/11 10:52 PM

ah, and I forgot to add, that the one rule from the wiki article that's not unbalancing, is the 30 damage to check for unconsciousness rather than 20. I can see that. the others though....
purdyrc
10/27/13 12:46 AM

The Battlemaster for sure. The cover of Rolling Thunder clearly shows the dual pilot/gunner design.

Another one would be the Scorpion. There are two hatches on the model of the mech so I think it would fit (again some sort of commander and gunner set-up).

One oddity I encountered when looking through some original Dougram books is that the Wolverine is actually a two person mech with pilot and gunner sitting one on top of the other (the gunner actually sits behind the small ball turret on the mech's chest/throat and the pilot sits above him in the head).

And finally, the Goliath, definitely. That machine could support a whole crew similar to a modern battle tank.
ghostrider
11/06/13 12:26 AM

The pics of the origanal mechs ran into copyright issues if I recall. Alot of them looked like mechs from macross, or robotech in later time.

With the newer books, if you look closely at alot of the pictures, and read the text/tech specs, there are alot of mechs that dont look right. The atlas has an lrm 20 pack in the first version, but there isnt that many tubes for it. The text said something about firing salvos of 5, quickly to make the 20 shots.
A few other things makes me wonder about mechs, like no arms on the stalker, so trying to get back up from a fall is alot harder then mechs with arms, much less hands.
mwam
10/02/15 07:45 PM

Post deleted by Cray
happyguy49
10/04/15 05:47 PM

IIRC, under the new rules for Tripods, they ALL have dual cockpits.. the superheavy Tripods actually have a TRIPLE cockpit. (pilot, gunner, technician/commander). Superheavy tripods therefore give you the +1 initiative bonus as if they had a Command Console.

Even a sub-100 ton tripod has a pilot and a gunner; there is no gunnery bonus as with the now-defunct (was it in Unbound?) older dual cockpit rules. You DO get a +1 to pilot skill however, including physical attacks. I've been thinking up a sub-100 ton Tripod Brawler design for this reason. (I am unsure of the cockpit weight. I THINK it is four tons for a sub-100 ton tripod cockpit.)

If you want two pilots in a normal mech without resorting to those goofy-**** possibly game-breaking "Design Quirks", it needs to be a Heavy or Assault. That is required in order to mount a Command Console on it.
Karagin
01/01/16 02:21 PM

Was looking back over some mechs, and came up with this:

Dual Cockpits:

Archer
Stalker
Longbow
Witworth
Yeoman

Those are the ones that came to mind quickly.
Karagin

Akirapryde2006
01/01/16 03:09 PM

Doesn't the Battlemaster have a duel Cockpit according to the 3025 TRO?
Karagin
01/01/16 04:57 PM

Fluff counts for nothing, unless the new quirks are innuse. But yes a Battlemaster did have a dual cockpit according to fluff and the novels.
Karagin

ghostrider
01/01/16 05:32 PM

The dual cockpit battlemasters were not made that way originally. The rules were out after the first ones were suggested, though it sounded alot like they were supposed to have them in all of them. Just not used that way.

I think it was rolling thunder company pack that had one on the cover of it. Which looking back a few posts, someone else mentions. Though I guess the question comes up is there a difference between a 2 person cockpit and a dual cockpit. I could actually see them being different, as one would only have one set of controls while the other is basically the coms officer. Kind of like the training combat aircraft. A spotter section so to speak.
The dual cockpit would have controls in both sections.

As for mechs that might help with a second person, might be the cyclops if you go by the fluff of it being a command mech.
I would guess any support type heavy/assault mech would benefit from it, though a few do sound like it would be more of a hinderance with them. The Awesome comes to mind.

Granted having an ecm tech in some units would make sense as well or recon. Someone to get pictures while another watches for enemy units.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11830

Contact Admins Sarna.net