Loc: New York
#162669 - 12/03/11 05:55 AM (220.127.116.11)
With all the recent work being done on the hardware and software of Neveron, we eventually got around to looking closely at the databases.
What has been discovered is that the terrain db has bloated into an incredible lag beast. It will continue to grow and expand and will just keep getting worse every day.
I spoke with Randy about how they kept this issue addressed in the past. There used to be a 'policy' of Neveron to simply reset all terrain when the db got bloated beyond a certain point. The terrain reset was simply announced, and then a full terrain reset was done shortly after 'for the good of the game'.
This reset has probably not been done in at least 5 years. Unchecked growth for that long has allowed that database to get really out of control.
Even when that db is moved to modern hardware, it will still be a source of tremendous lag, when it comes to both the world and battle maps.
With the realization that some players have built very specific defenses, around specific terrain, a full reset does not seem like the best option.
The following announcement is for the player that wishes to retain the current terrain in specific zones:
- players can submit a list of zones that should keep its current terrain configuration. this policy is not intended to keep every zone that has ever had a tower placed in it. This is for specific zones that a player has meticulously placed a defense plan in
- each empire can submit up to 5 zones requests per empire level
ie L2 can submit 10 zones max, where a L10 can submit 50 zones max
- this list MUST be submitted NO LATER than midnight [server time] on December 31st, 2011
- the list is subject to Admin review, and can refuse any or all zones requested on the list. There is no expectation of refusal, but there may be unforeseen events in the future
- the list is to be submitted, in a properly formatted Help Ticket, from the specific empire that those zones are located in.
The 'subject' must be 'Terrain Reset List'
The list must contain the X, Y zone coordinates for each zone requested
The list must contain the 'name' of any zone requested
The list must contain a BRIEF description of why that zone should be exempted from terrain reset. If you have a group of zones in a 'core', a single explanation can be used for that core
The 'format' of the list is NOT to be a 'blob' of data. Tickets that are sent in with word blobs will simply be permanently closed and ignored. Be sure to insert 'new line' and 'new paragraph' tags into your Help Ticket
- players that do NOT submit a list are presumed to have agreed to all zones in their empires being reset to reduce the overall size of the terrain database
- total terrain 'reset' will likely occur at some point in mid January. watch game updates for more specific information as that time gets closer
After reviewing some comments and past updates, it appears that this reset may have been done only to zones with out buildings or 'towers' placed in them.
The 'terrain reset' of the database will be inititally be flushed using just the undefended zones, and then we will revaluate the database bloat. Should the database still be signifiacntly bloated, then we will proceed with the 'full' terrain reset as originally announced.
Please at least take a look at your empires and have a rough list of zones available if it is decide that a full terrain reset is in fact still needed.
Sometime in January / February there will be at least 2 full weeks dedicated to fixing a lot of nagging issues with Neveron, and it would be nice if we could deal with this issue then as well during that time frame.
There may be a new update in early January saying that we will be pressing on to a full reset.
Please be prepared so that we dont have to delay other projects dealing with this issue!
Is it true? Do you really suck that bad??
Neveron Promo Code: online gaming rocks
Edited by ShadowMasterCM (12/19/11 11:42 PM)