Enterprise

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Deathshadow
09/26/01 08:07 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Well, 4 minutes in. Interesting opening of sorts. Theme song really blows chunks though. And I thought the themes for Deep Stain Nine and Forager were annoyingly whiney.

Heave to and prepar ta be boarded ya scurvy sons of a New Bedford streetwalker.
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
CrayModerator
09/26/01 08:17 PM

Ah, the opening song and montage rocked. NICE change of pace.

Mike Miller, MatE

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
phoenix
09/27/01 12:01 AM

I've been in college for a month now and just realized something last week. We don't get UPN!! I always thought it was just one of those standard channels that everyone got, but its not. I was really looking forward to watching Enterprise and now I can't :-(

breaks down into a sobbing blithering mess

Phoenix

"There is no spoon."
Phoenix
Bob_Richter
09/27/01 02:04 AM

I feel your pain.

Hopefully it'll enter syndication sometime soon and poor bastards like you and me can see what we've been missing.

It's even being ADVERTISED on the other channels. WAAAH!

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
09/27/01 06:27 AM

At points it was hitting a bit heavy handed with the sex*/klingons/action (just to hit all the usual buttons of the target demographic), but Enterprise is a marked step up from Deep Space Nine and Voyager...assuming the first show's quality is maintained throughout the season.

I'm definitely going to be following Enterprise more avidly than the other spinoff series...serieses...serieii?.

*The science officer's sensor arrays obviously took a lesson from the attention-grabbing borg implants of Voyager. Hey, whatever pulls in the viewers...I noticed Enterprise just HAD to have Klingons in the first episode, too.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
09/28/01 03:47 PM

Yeah, that sonic shower rub down...they were really pushing the nippl...er...buttons of the under-18 male viewer demographic really hard. Do all "emotionless" women in Star Trek have to have enormous boobs? First Seven, now the Vulcan science officer...

Understand I'm only complaining on an aesthetic level about the heavy handed manipulation of male viewers. The male pig in me was deeply appreciative.

Mike "Oink Oink Baby" Miller

Black_Phoenix
09/28/01 04:35 PM

>>but it'll probably be impossible for most under the age of thirty to appreciate.>>

What the H@#$ does that mean? I'm only 17 and I understood what was going on in that show (what little they didn't have trouble broadcasting). As for the shower, get a life, both you and Cray. In this day in age the only people that seem to have a problem with that thing is adults, and I'll be glad if I never figure out why. That sort of thing is commonly seen now on TV, which proves that the stigma it carries is begining to fade and hopefully we wont have to hear about the bad part of showing those parts of a person. Here is my thought on censorship for TV: "If you don't want you kids to see it, don't let them watch"

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

CrayModerator
09/28/01 07:02 PM

Actually, Becky, he always uses those fonts, so lighten up with the sniping.

Speaking of sniping:

"As for the shower, get a life, both you and Cray. In this day in age the only people that seem to have a problem with that thing is adults,"

A PROBLEM? No, I don't have a problem with seeing boobs themselves or rubbing in the shower. I mean, damn, I have a Playboy subscription...no, I don't read the articles. (And I give gift subscriptions to my friends - do you know how Playboy rewards you when you do that?) I won't tell you why I save up my spare 1's and 10's for the holidays, seeing as you're under 21. :P

No, my problem is with the delivery. "LOOK!! BOOBS! PAY ATTENTION! WATCH ENTERPRISE AND YOU'LL SEE BOOBS!!! LOOK AT THIS HOTTIE!!! YOU'LL SEE HER WHEN YOU WATCH ENTERPRISE!!! PAY ATTENTION!!!"

Feh. They could be a *little* more realistic with the delivery. I don't like stretching my sense of disbelief when I see someone getting a "casual rubdown" like that. I didn't think Vulcans would be so concerned about physical appearances to use that much silicone (or was I supposed to believe Ms. Science Officer had a wonderbra under that tank top?)

Mike "The Aesthete" Miller

Black_Phoenix
09/28/01 08:09 PM

>>Really. Judging by your over-emotional hyperreaction to something so completely trivial, I never would have guessed.>>

My age has nothing to do with my response. If fact, had I been younger I probably would have cussed up a storm. I just dislike it when people seem to stereotype teens. I probably wouldn't have resonded like that if it weren't for the fact that while I was in certain shops in my town, people were acting a though my friend and I were going to steal something. One store had the audacity to post a sign that read: "No more than 5 students." Were being judged by the actions other seem to think we will take (they're probably the actions they took as teens).
As for the fonts, look at my other posts. They all have them.

Sorry I snapped. I was just angry at the way adults treat teens. I didn't realize you were talking about the begining song. Now that I know I have to agree with you, it had many things that the youth of today take for granted.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

Black_Phoenix
09/28/01 08:16 PM

A playboy subscription? Why am I not suprised?

You make a good point though. That scene was used to "advertise" the show. Are we suprised? Not me, that's life in the 90's. The only down side is that all of the "pure-hearted" families are going to claim that it was used in a sextually explicit way and will offend the younger viewers. Yeah right. If they didn't want to see it, they had more than enough warning that it was coming.

Black_Phoenix
09/28/01 10:22 PM

Voyager was good and it did lose something when it replased Kess with Seven. The worst part is now that the Voyager actors are out of work FOX is going to be using Jeri Ryan in the show Boston Public. I think that they shouldn't do that because after only a short "trail" season the use of Jrei Ryan will cause trouble for the show. This is bad, as far as I'm concered, because Boston Public is one of the few non sci-fi or anime shows that I enjoy watching. It would be a bummer to see it lose the passion (for lack of a better term) that it had when I was started.

CrayModerator
09/28/01 10:45 PM

"That scene was used to "advertise" the show. Are we suprised? Not me, that's life in the 90's. "

I'm not in the least surprised by it and recognized the "advertizing" (that's what I was griping about).

And, um, it's not the 90s anymore... :P

Mike "Horn Dog" Miller

Acolyte
09/29/01 01:46 AM

I thought that the final episode of Voyager should have been left for the next Star Trek movie. I mean, Voyager finally getting home, what a better idea for a movie?

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Black_Phoenix
09/29/01 10:59 AM

>>And, um, it's not the 90s anymore... :P>>

Hey, I don't need your help to look like an idiot. I'm doing a perfect job all on my own. Okay, so I'm 2 years off, so what? The mentality of the nation hasn't changed that much in those 2 years. Everything on TV is made the same way it was back in the 90's.

phoenix
09/29/01 05:09 PM

The actress that played Kes grew up in the town next to mine. She come back a few times and spoken at the community college. Her mom was even a substitute teacher for my 6th grade class.

Phoenix

"There is no spoon."
Phoenix
sidewinder
09/30/01 12:04 AM

guess what happens?

1) T'Pol's Pon Far
2) The Romulan War

Bob_Richter
09/30/01 03:07 AM

I understand it's being re-broadcast on local network affiliates....so I just have to find a television schedule...which is not the easiest thing in the world, but which is not impossible.

-Bob Richter

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Bob_Richter
09/30/01 03:11 AM

He was talking about the music score....
...commenting on how the tastes of the elder and younger generations do not always align.

Personally, I was downright offended by the shower scene. (Yeah, I managed to snag a recording of it.) I'm 20. Too adult for you?

-Bob Richter

Bob_Richter
09/30/01 03:19 AM

Ending a series on such a sour note would have been a real downer.

Where does this idea come from that happy endings are somehow not good?

They're as valid as unhappy and unsatisfying (that is, everyone dies or it doesn't end) endings.

A happy ending is still not a Disney ending. That possibility was destroyed in the first episode, and severely mangled ever since.

-Bob Richter

Bob_Richter
09/30/01 03:21 AM

I should hope T'pal doesn't have a Pon Farr. That would make her male. :)

-Bob Richter

Bob_Richter
09/30/01 07:57 PM

>>>But would prevent that nasty thing we call Temporal Paradox...<<<<

Can't be done. This is STAR TREK (and BAD Star Trek at that. Voyager had the worst time-travel episodes....)

>>>
I never said they weren't good...just not as effective in alot of cases as having mixed or tragic endings...for instance, ever see "Crouching
Tiger, Hidden Dragon"? How about the ending to "Vision of Escaflowne? "X"? Neon Genesis Evangelion"? "Record of Lodoss War"? The original
ending for "Return of the Jedi"?<<<

Randomly killing people adds nothing whatsoever to a story and is a sign of a deeply disturbed consciousness.

Happy endings are EVERY BIT as effective as any other kind of ending. The important thing is that the ending be appropriate and meaningful, not tragic or indifferent.

-Bob Richter

Black_Phoenix
09/30/01 08:24 PM

Yes, happy endings are effective. But they are also slightly boring. Almost every movie, show, or even video game has a happy ending. It's very rare to see anything that has so much as a sad ending, and most of those are only partialy said and used to leave room for a sequel. It wouldn't be wrong to make a movie where the bad guy wins for once, and to me it would be a welcome surprise. There are times when I would have prefered to see an unhappy ending. Something such as the hero saving the day but then passing away from his wounds would work, it would give people the action they want then would give them a surprise that they didn't expect. For those who have seen Starship Troopers, the scene where they had Diz die from here wounds was a good one because it showed just what happens in wars, as opposed to just having her recover in a medbay (boring). A sad ending would add more realism to a movie instead of making you bored to the point of tears. With all the cheap scripts and happy endings movies start to get redundant which takes away the fun in watching them. Just my opinion.

Bob_Richter
10/01/01 02:12 AM

Bad guys win all the time.

There's a genre called "horror", where the good guys almost never win (and when they do win, it's a pyhrric victory.)

And sad endings? You want sad endings?

Try tragedies. They've got 'em. Many have even been ported to movie form with some excellent acting and directing.

Anyway, basically what I'm telling you is "You've been watching the wrong movies" if you're getting bored with happy endings. I've long since become bored with sad and indifferent endings. All endings bore me. The important thing is that the movie HAVE one and that it make sense.

There are four things that it is absolutely vital for any story to have:
A beginning.
A middle.
An end.
Conflict.

These alone are not enough to make a story good, only vaguely passable (that is, at this point it IS a story, any number of authors miss the third or fourth one, and it really pisses me off.)

To get me, a movie/show needs:
1) Good special effects. In a visual medium, the only unique thing is the ability to engage the eyes. A movie or TV show that fails to do so should have been a novel or a series of short stories.

2) Witty dialogue. Nothing like it to make me watch a movie again and again and again.

3) Good fight choreography. I'm a stage fighter myself, so I have an idea what to look for, and most fights are just downright cheesy....wasted motion, the "Robin Hood and Little John" effect (where two guys are clearly just banging their weapons together to make noise), and bad characterization are all symptoms of bad choreography. The Matrix had some of the best fight choreography I have ever seen.

4) Engaging characters. I don't mean "interesting" or "unique" (for there is no such thing as either. Nothing new under Heaven.) I mean characters whom I can readily accept. Folks who seem either "real" or "cool" to me.

As for wanting the good guys to lose, that's a childish phase which may or may not ever pass. I got over it years ago. There's nothing more annoying than a protagonist that suddenly drops dead or just spends three hours beating his head against a brick wall. The trick really is to not have the protagonists be good guys.

Again, this depends on the genre, and Space Opera is one of those genres where Men are Real Men, Women are Real Women, and Small Furry Green Things From Aldeberan are Real Small Furry Green Things From Aldeberan.

Which is to say that they're not realistic at all.

-Bob Richter

Black_Phoenix
10/01/01 07:33 AM

>>There's a genre called "horror", where the good guys almost never win (and when they do win, it's a pyhrric victory.)>>

The only time they tend to win is when the writers want to make a sequel. Both sides only win half-victories and that is a good thing to me because there is no predictable ending like in most movies.

>>Try tragedies.>>

Not my kind of movies. I prefere Sci-fi/action, horror, and comedy. Tragedies always bore me. I only remember bits and pieces of Julius Ceasar.

>>Good special effects. In a visual medium, the only unique thing is the ability to engage the eyes. A movie or TV show that fails to do so should have been a novel or a series of short stories.>>

Every movie has that now and most of the effects are good. I think some of the older effects are interesting. Like in Alien when they had the alien get blasted by the pods engines (high pressure water and strong lights).

>>the "Robin Hood and Little John" effect (where two guys are clearly just banging their weapons together to make noise)>>

If you are talking about "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" then that was supposed to be that way. That is the humor of Mel Brooks.

>>Witty dialogue.>>

I think that anding one dumb person that always says something at the wrong time adds to the movie a little.

Just my opinions.

Bob_Richter
10/01/01 12:33 PM

>>>The only time they tend to win is when the writers want to make a sequel. Both sides only win half-victories and that is a good thing to me because there is no predictable ending like in most movies.<<<

That ending is no less predictable than any other one...

>>>I only remember bits and pieces of Julius Ceasar.
<<<

Perhaps Shakespeare is not for you. Unless you like his comedies?

In any case, there are more modern tregedy writers whose work might appeal to you more.

>>>If you are talking about "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" then that was supposed to be that way. <<<

I'm talking about every other movie that does it. What that fight was lampooning.

-Bob Richter

CrayModerator
10/01/01 02:03 PM

Wait...what was unhappy/mixed about Vision of Escaflowne's and Neon Genesis Evangalion's endings? The ones I saw were reasonably happy and effective.

Curiousity: What "original ending" to Return of the Jedi? Is there any other than "Darth dies, Party at the Ewok Pad?"

To be sure, Crouching Tiger had mixed ending.

CrayModerator
10/01/01 03:01 PM

Gee...I guess those are cases where happy endings were better. I sure liked the way the happy endings turned out. I think you just made a great case against sad/mixed endings. :P

sidewinder
10/02/01 11:10 PM

not neccessarily, just because we havent seen the female's Pon Farr doesnt mean they dont have one.

Bob_Richter
10/03/01 12:50 AM

No, Pon Farr is a male Vulcan thing. That has always been abundantly obvious.

Find me one quote in any Canon source that explains Pon Farr without linking it specifically to males, and I'll give you $20.

-Bob Richter

sidewinder
10/03/01 09:14 PM

two problems that i see.

1) Most Cannon sources are written from the human perspective, and the Vulcans are not very forthcoming with information, especially something that personal.

2) Enterprise is throwing some cannon out already, why not a little bit more?

Theres going to be discrepancies, in fact, tonights epsiode conlficts with "The Cage". Most information in "The Cage" was printed out on paper, or written on paper, in Enterprise, they are using PADDs, similar to the palm pilots we have today.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5903

Contact Admins Sarna.net