Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception - Chameloen vs Jenner (escape from the Citadel)

Pages: 1
Hythos
02/09/12 06:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I can't remember how many times I had played through attempting to destroy the Kurita Jenners, then hope for a chance to salvage.
I *think* the best I was able to do was to take down the Jenners - but I never was able to salvage one... I think attempting to mod the Urbanmech results in "Hey, we don't deal in that kind of Mech". LOL

Was anyone ever able to salvage/capture anything more than a Locust, Wasp, Stinger, or Commando? I think I had read somewhere that game-files allowed for other mechs, but I was curious to know if a Jenner was ever one.
KamikazeJohnson
02/10/12 07:27 PM

A friend of mine salvaged a Lasp once. It had the Wasp's weaponry but the Locust graphic. Got a Ltinger as well in the same game. Still don't know how...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
KitK
02/11/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

Still don't know how...

Sorry for the tread hyjack but that reminded me. I know a guy who claims he was able to chose to fly one of the aerospace fighters in MechWarrior2 Mercenaries. I don't believe he is lying to me, but I do think he must have had one of those dreams where you would claim it hurt if you pinched yourself in it.

KK
NeverSayNever
02/11/12 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Still don't know how...

Sorry for the tread hyjack but that reminded me. I know a guy who claims he was able to chose to fly one of the aerospace fighters in MechWarrior2 Mercenaries. I don't believe he is lying to me, but I do think he must have had one of those dreams where you would claim it hurt if you pinched yourself in it.

KK

As far as I know and if I remember correctly there used to be a fan-made, non-official mod / add-on for "MechWarrior2 - Mercenaries" which offered additional skins / units to play around with.

One of the skins looked like a Phoenix Hawk LAM and was kind of limited to ground combat mode, at least IIRC. The model looked like a combination of a jet fighter mixed with Mech legs instead of landing gear and one could walk / run around with this hybrid and the animation of the hybrid Mech's legs worked.

Not 100 percent sure if there was a way to actually fly / control a Stuka in flight mode via the mod but the unmodified "MechWarrior2 - Mercenaries" already contained aerotech elements, for example AFAIK and IIRC (note: please keep in mind this was many, many years ago) one could hire some air support (e.g. a merc with a Stuka?) for some missions and treat them like lance / wing mates which could get ordered to "attack / defend (my) target(?)", or something like that, which could turn out really useful for some missions where speed and firepower were the key elements to success. IIRC there was at least one mission where one had to protect / support a friendly unit, or defend a building, far, far away and the Stuka merc could get there faster than any ground based support. So if the Stuke lasted long enough till you arrived with some big, bad, ground based reenforcements the rest of the mission (cleaning up) was rather easy.

Not sure if the fan-made, old mod for "MW2 - Mercenaries" is still available somewhere on the web but Nic Jansma might know, maybe he even has the old mod buried somewhere in the files section here at sarna.net?
Karagin
02/12/12 04:43 PM

I recall wanting to salvage the AC10 off the Urbanmech...sigh...still shooting up the arena was fun...now that Star Map thing...yeah talk about a headache.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
NeverSayNever
02/12/12 06:14 PM

update:

I just remembered the name of the mod / tool for "MechWarrior2 - Mercenaries" which added additional Mech skins / models, it was called: NAIS shell.

Warning, there are various versions of NAIS shell available, so you better be careful and backup your old "MechWarrior2 - Mercenaries" installation before you start messing around with the NAIS shell and its options!
NeverSayNever
02/12/12 06:43 PM

Quote:

[...]now that Star Map thing...yeah talk about a headache.

Headache? As far as I know and if I recall correctly the star map puzzle in "The Crescent Hawk's Inception" was easy to solve, all you needed was the original documentation which showed which planets (icons) to activate in the map room in order to enter the correct code and 'win' / end the game.
Hythos
02/12/12 07:24 PM

Some year I may revisit Inception =)
OH, and think I remember now, that they would tell you that 'they do not deal with that kind of mech' in reference to the Chameleon, and they would say something like "Woah, that mech is hot" (referring to the stolen arena mech).

Mechwarrior2: Mercenaries had a 'hack' (possibly an actual "mod") that allowed you to fly an aerospace figher. I had heard that you could also fly a LAM, but I didn't put much effort towards it

Mechwarrior1 had easy exploits - extended defensive campaigns could be easily ccompleted with a single locust, if you swing wide around behind and MG their legs... Max salvage, 9,999,999c-bills for the mission completion...
Also, the A/C-5 and LRM-5's could be fired beyond 'max range' (I believe PPC's could be too). When on 'attack' missions (not scrimish), the defending mechs are on garrison. Just move outside of their engagement range, zoom in, position your crosshairs over one leg, then fire off an A/C or PPC volley and wait for the hit. Shell off just enough to clean out the leg, and move on to the next unit. They don't engage fast enough, so with shell flight-time, one could get enough shots off to disable the target.

MechCommander had text files, within which you could modify the stats / equipment locations... I didn't have an internet service at the time I played it, so there may be an editor for it.

Battletech2: Revenge - When running the "gauntlet" towards the prison, keep one Rommel tank on 'do not fire' (I can't remember the setting any more). This will allow him to save his ammo to to take out the Drillson after rescuing prisoners... Also, park him right on the road as you enter the city, so he's got crack-shots on the drillson when it spawns.
Karagin
02/13/12 12:26 AM

I had the book/document and even with that it was still annoying, because on the Commodore 64/128 you could enter the right combo and still NOT win because the damn game may or may not want to work with you. Then again some times it would let you. I was enjoying bashing mechs more then anything and it was a lot of fun...infernos fired at attackers...
Karagin

Karagin
02/13/12 12:28 AM

Yeah it had some oddities as far things went, but still fun game.
Karagin

KamikazeJohnson
02/26/12 07:01 PM

IIRC, someone posted on these boards waaaay back that the files include most of the TRO:3025 designs, but you have to hex edit to actually use them.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
02/27/12 07:05 AM

Yes I recall seeing that here or somewhere else too, also here while the weapons and armor would show up the graphic would always show the Chameleon.
Karagin

FrabbyModerator
07/05/12 01:25 PM

Quote:

OH, and think I remember now, that they would tell you that 'they do not deal with that kind of mech' in reference to the Chameleon, and they would say something like "Woah, that mech is hot" (referring to the stolen arena mech).

I played CHI a lot to write its article here on Sarna.

"We do not deal in that kind of 'Mech" was the canned answer from Techs if you tried to modify something else than a Locust, Wasp, Stinger or Commando (in particular the Chameleon or UrbanMech). I wasn't able to salvage a Jenner, nor did I ever encounter much less salvage a Spider or Javelin.

"This 'Mech is hot" was referring to the "Blazing Inferno" variant of the Commando which you get when you modify it for the second time. Extra armor, 4 medium lasers, 6 small lasers. (No extra heat sinks...) Wish that one was canon, it sounds like a ton of fun. Alas, as a computer game, CHI is apocryphal.
RichLongess
10/31/14 01:37 AM

CH Inception was a lot of fun. I played the sequel first, and everything made a lot more sense after playing Inception.

From what I have read, those other mechs were POSSIBLY available on different releases of the game for non-DOS/PC computers, but this is still a rumor. I certainly never was able to get ahold of one in the game. If you have any other questions about the game, I might be able to help.

My favorite tip...I think I remember the following things correctly:
Since at least one member of the team always turns out to be a double agent (which you then kill) I always make sure to save a game right after leaving the big city for the first time, and attempt to rescue the guy from the jail. He was qualified to pilot mechs, so if he is not the double agent then you get one more mech for when you are romping around Pacifica. I think the game decided who would be the double agent randomly, so if the team ends up killing your new mech pilot because he's a traitor, I quickly loaded that game and tried to get him again. He was usually not the double agent the second time.
GiovanniBlasini
03/02/15 06:58 PM

At least on the Commodore version, I've salvaged Spiders and Javelins. I've never succeeded in getting a Jenner as salvage, though, nor did I ever get an UrbanMech: when renting a 'Mech in the arena, I unfailingly get a Locust, and even when I escape and blow up an Urbie, I've been unable to salvage it.

From the halt in days of 1990-1991, I recall that full weapons files are available for all weapons, and a friend and I sector-edited a save file to build an Archer, Marauder and Warhammer, but there are no other image files in the game for them, so your 'Mech will look like whatever its starting point was.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
ghostrider
03/03/15 01:23 AM

I don't remember seeing a spider in dos version. The only time I seen jenners was in the hit on the citadel, and the only mech I was able to pull out of there was the one was driving. No salvage.

Didn't play the commodore version of it, but quite a few others games, and sector editing was fun. Before the gig drives came out, you could do it on the pc. Windows had a version as well, though you had to unlock the drive first, then relock it afterwards. Most or the turn based rpg's were fun to get into like baldur's gate. 25 for stats made it playable. Also made a few maps on command and conquer barable once you figured out where money was at.
Kovax
07/11/17 10:21 AM

Many years ago, when CHI was still somewhat recent, I spent the better part of a month hacking the saved game files with a sector editor, and tried a lot of different things. Apparently, there were a lot of things coded in that weren't used in the hastily finished and released game, like most of the weapons used in BT. The real limiting factors were that: 1- you couldn't buy more ammo for most of the autocannons, and 2- you were limited to less than a handful of graphical "skins", where the Stinger and Wasp already shared a skin. Clearly, the game was intended to have a LOT more in it (like a full range of opposing 'Mechs), but was forced out the door before the additional content was completed.

With a bit of editing, you could alter the stats of the 'Mechs in the game into most of the "stock" 3025 designs, but they all looked like the "vanilla" content they replaced. It also enabled you to alter pilot stats, and even manually add another team member beyond the game's normal limit. Eventually, I found the section to modify the 'Mechs that randomly appeared as opponents, so you could change them from something like Locust/Wasp/Stinger to 3 other types. For example, I altered the Chameleon into a Marauder, and changed the 3 random "opponent" slots into Warhammers, Grasshoppers, and Phoenix Hawks. Unfortunately, my Marauder soon ran out of AC ammo, and I couldn't buy more. Ah, the days when I had a lot more time and ambition.
The_Fifth_Horseman
09/01/17 11:10 AM

Quote:
IIRC, someone posted on these boards waaaay back that the files include most of the TRO:3025 designs, but you have to hex edit to actually use them.

CHI does not, at least not in the DOS version of it, but existing mechs can be replaced with them.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14590

Contact Admins Sarna.net