Rules Question - TAG

Pages: 1
PhoenixTheBlack09
02/13/12 07:43 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi

Can anyone tell me exactly what a TAG does???

According to Total warfare:
"...the target unit is designated for any number of attacks from any number of units using TAG."

So I assume that this means that it benifits my attacks from the targetting mech, or from other TAG equiped mechs in my force, but in what way?

Also, the C3 rules state that masters have built in TAGS. Does this have any bearing on using targetting modifiers for attacks using the C3 system. Does this mean that you can only use the nearest Masters modifier, and not the nearest slave

Thanks
CrayModerator
02/13/12 10:33 AM

Quote:

Hi

Can anyone tell me exactly what a TAG does???

TAG is a laser designator that "paints" a target for smart weapons:

1) Artillery (described in TacOps) is the biggest user. Guided Arrow IV and Copperhead rounds for tube artillery will make direct hits on targets that have been painted with TAG.

2) Laser-guided bombs (which I think are in Total Warfare; check air-to-ground attacks) can also benefit from TAGged targets.

3) Semi-Guided LRMs (which should be in Total Warfare) get to ignore some movement penalties on TAGged targets.

Not much else benefits from TAG.

Quote:

Also, the C3 rules state that masters have built in TAGS. Does this have any bearing on using targetting modifiers for attacks using the C3 system. Does this mean that you can only use the nearest Masters modifier, and not the nearest slave

The TAG of a C3 master functions like a normal TAG. You paint a target with the TAG and then call in the fun. Artillery and bombs do not benefit from C3 systems (I don't think), so the C3 function is moot. Semi-guided LRMs probably benefit from both C3 and TAGging, so you'd use the appropriate closest C3 spotter to determine range for the LRMs and then add in the benefit of TAGging.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
PhoenixTheBlack09
02/14/12 10:17 AM

Thanks for the help.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8949

Contact Admins Sarna.net