Some rules questions.

Pages: 1
Nightward
09/30/01 01:04 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. Stealtt armour is an armour type of it's own, right? It can't be combined with others, can it? Only, I have a friend who has packed Stealth onto a 'Mech with Ferro-Fibrous, and he won't accept my argument that he can't.....

2. There wasn't a problem before, but there is now. C3 and Targeting Computers. Please tell me you can't target through a C3 network...One of my friends is an FS nutcase and has put together several dodgy machines mounting arrays of RAC/5's, C3 slaves and targeting computers...He uses them badly, so I usually win....but still......

Awaiting your answers or interpretations....

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet"
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Bob_Richter
09/30/01 03:29 AM

1) Right. Stealth Armor IS AN ARMOR TYPE. It cannot be combined with other armor types (this is its second disadvantage vs Null-Sig)

2) Actually, you can. But someone in the FedSuns would have a hell of a time getting his hands on a C3 system (which is a hideously expensive Kurita toy), and someone in the Draconis Combine would have a hell of a time getting his hands on a TC (which is a hideously expensive Davion toy.)

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
09/30/01 07:29 AM

1) Stealth armor does not combine with other armor types. How could you? It has to be on every hit location of the mech. Even Maxtech L3 rules don't allow differing armor types in one hit location. Partial coverage of a mech with stealth armor is like leaving the B2 stealth bomber only partly covered with stealth stuff and the rest bare, unshielded aluminum.

2) As far as I know (and I say this without opening a book)...yes, you can use a targeting computer through a C3 network. The question is just, "How did you get C3 computers (Kuritan) into the same unit as targeting computers (Federated Suns)?"

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Rick Raisley
09/30/01 02:16 PM

1) has already been answered correctly. Stealth armor is an armor type, and you can only mount one armor type in a single location. And Stealth must cover the entire 'Mech to be effective.

2) C3 systems can be used with the standard Inner Sphere and Clan targeting computers, but /not/ with the new Level 3 targeting systems found in Maximum Tech. This is clarified in MaxTech.

Rick Raisley
heavymetal@bellsouth.net

HeavyMetal Pro, Vee and Lite Home Page:
http://www.heavymetalpro.com
Rick Raisley
heavymetal@bellsouth.net

HeavyMetal Pro, Vee and Lite Home Page:
www.heavymetalpro.com
NathanKell
09/30/01 03:43 PM

RE: Your plan for the good ol' combine-fire SLDF to return...imagine clantech TC and clantech C3 systems, used by "dishonorable" but exceedingly effective *soldiers* :D

-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Nightward
09/30/01 09:42 PM

Ehm....

It seems that everyone has C3 systems. The Javelin from RS: Upgrades has it (I think) as well as a TC for all it's munchy Medium Pulse Lasers.

I'm a little put out by the way that evryone can have C3 now. At first, it was real expensive and difficult to field...but now, every 2nd 'Mech lugs a Slave or Master. In the case of the Tais-Sho, it carries 2 Masters....

*sigh*

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet"
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
09/30/01 10:09 PM

The Javelin is a pretty shoddy replacement for the 'Kyrie. Which was a pretty nice 'Mech...30-odd tons with 5/8/5 movement and an LRM-10.....

But I thought the Duan Gung was it's replacement? Same tonnage, same movement, similar loadout....

-Me.
Bob_Richter
10/05/01 04:34 PM

Despite the fact that the two have virtually nothing in common?

There is no need to replace the Valkrie. It's still official. Just because there's no mini for it and it's never mentioned anymore...

-Bob Richter

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
Black_Phoenix
10/05/01 04:39 PM

I'd take the 3025 Valkrie over the 3060 Garm anyday.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Black_Phoenix
10/06/01 09:50 AM

>>BTW, the name is Valkyrie, not Valkrie...>>

Okay, so I make a lousy typist. I should have know how to spell it since, oddly enough, my favorite classical is Ride of the Valkyries.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Bob_Richter
10/06/01 01:37 PM

Pardon me. I was not familiar with that variant. (Only Garms I know use ACs as primary weapons.)

Objection #1 withdrawn.

Of course, Objection #2 (there's no need to replace the Valkyrie)

and

Objection #3 (But it just LOOKS STUPID)

still stand.

-Bob Richter

Bob_Richter
10/06/01 09:12 PM

That would be why most of the hardware deployed by the US was designed in the 80s or earlier, right?

No, in the real world, solid designs stick around, get upgraded a little, and then get retired when they can no longer do what needs doing. The Valkyrie doesn't need to be replaced, thus it won't be (though it could probably use an upgrade)

-Bob Richter

Bob_Richter
10/07/01 02:14 PM

Wartime footing does cause things to change, as armies in the field quickly figure out that they need things they'd never anticipated. A state of CONSTANT warfare will, however, ensure that the armies have already gotten everything they need that can be produced.

The only thing to do then is to upgrade the existing designs (what's the point of re-inventing the wheel?) when new technology becomes available.

-Bob Richter

Nightward
10/08/01 12:44 AM

"Dun-da-da-da-da, Dun-da-da-da-da, Dun-da-da-da-da"

Hmmm. Music doesn't type too well.

I knew there was some weirdo named 'Mech that was more or less a Valkyrie clone. I coudn't remember what, so I put the Duan Gung down.

I can't really remember, but don't they pack...moderately...similar armaments? A few weeks ago, Itidied my room up :(, and I haven't been able to find a damn thing sice...

Not even my lecture notes for Uni, and the exams roll around in two weeks (AKck!)

-Me.
Acolyte
10/31/01 09:24 AM

So, when is that B-52 going to taken out of service? Try 2040 or so.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Bob_Richter
10/31/01 02:40 PM

I had heard it was a little later.

I actually used one in a Shadowrun game once....

(A rigger-adapted BUFF....heh)

...that was interesting.

-Bob Richter

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4729

Contact Admins Sarna.net