What about a Sagittaire – H design

Pages: 1
scheinlen
05/24/12 08:27 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
OK, I just was not happy with the Sagittaire figurine. So I started cutting…
I cut off the Small pulse laser on the right Shoulder. Evened out the two “Wings” as it seems know.
So I wanted it to have a “CLAN” upgraded design.
I think that an H version would be nice. I’d drop the rear firing ER medium laser and the small pulse laser, plus any armor and structure around it.
Equipment & Weapons list… for a Sagittaire – H design in clan style.
Targeting computer
Jump jets
2 Heavy Large lasers
4 Heavy Medium lasers
1ER PPC
Model SGT- H
Class Assault
Cost ??? C-bills
Technical specifications
Mass 95 tons
Chassis Skuel Heavy TRQ
Armor Starshield Special Heavy
(Replace Armor with Ferro ?)
Engine
(Replace with a Clan XL ?)
Pitban 285 XL

Speed 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets HildCo LFT 9-X
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
CrayModerator
05/25/12 09:28 PM

I posted this on rec.games.mecha in 2002. I prefer it to anything with heavy lasers; their drawbacks mean they're significantly less effective (by weight) than Clan pulse lasers or even most Inner Sphere lasers.

The -C suffix on the SGT-10C Sagittaire reportedly means "cheap," which is entirely possible. The SGT-10C is 10.25 Million C-bills vice the SGT-8R's 20.25 million C-bills. The modifications to the -10C addressed a number of shortcomings in the SGT-8R, like a lack of range and unexceptional target numbers at all but point blank range (despite the erroneous reputation of pulse lasers), plus cost and endurance. The modifications were as follows:

1) Remove the Pulse Small Laser with extreme predjudice.
2) Ditch the pulse large lasers. Replace with 2 ER LLs.
3) Remove the 5 pulse medium lasers.
4) Add 7 ER medium lasers in the place of the MPLs and SPL, all forward firing.
5) You've saved 8 tons of direct-fire weaponry, so reduce the TC by 2 tons and 2 crits. 10 tons are free. Replace the XL with a standard 285, burning 8 tons and freeing 6 crits. Use the remaining 2 tons to fill in the XL's side torso space with 2 more DHS, for 38 heat capacity.

Results:
1) You just saved a dumptruck load of cash.
2) This ain't a field variant, but it shares an engine with the old Banshee-S.
3) With 19 DHS, you can fire 2 ER LLs and an ER PPC together until the cows come home. Not perfect, but the range breaks are identical for ER PPCs and ER LLs - the ER PPC just has 4 extra hexes of range in the long range bracket.
4a) Anyway, damage is increased 160% in the 11-19 hex range bracket compared to the SGT-8R and is only 2 points lower in the 4-10 hex range bracket (where the ER LLs and ER PPC have the same target number as the -8R's PLLs). Damage is unchanged at 20-23 hexes.
5) At 4 hexes, the ER MLs have the same target numbers as the ER PPC and ER LLs, but are more heat efficient, plus you've probably picked up a few heat points from long range fire and want to jump now. Max damage increases from 26 to 35 points by switching from long to short range weaponry. Versus the original Sagittaire, the ER MLs have better target numbers than its PLLs and PMLs, while the PSL can't shoot 4 hexes. Potential damage is 35 at a target number 2 lower than the 36 potential damage the original Sagittaire has.
6) At 3 hexes, the situation is the same but the PSL can now be fired and the PLLs' target numbers drop to that of the ER LLs. The original Sagittaire is finally starting to shine after being outgunned for 16 hexes.
7) At 1-2 hexes, the original Sagittaire's target numbers drop for all of its weapons but the PLLs. It now completely outguns my version and has mostly better target numbers.
8 ) The -10C, of course, doesn't whine and cry about flesh wounds like losing side torsos. It's a proper assault mech without an XL engine and you can buy 2 for the price of one -8R.

SGT-10C SAGITTAIRE
95 tons
9.5 tons internal structure
16.5 tons 285 fusion engine
....Walking: 3
....Running: 5
....Jumping: 3
9 tons 19 DHS (2 RA/LA, 3 LT, RT)
3 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit
18 tons armor
....Head: 3 9
....CT: 30 44/15
....RT/LT: 20 30/10
....RA/LA: 16 31
....RL/LL: 20 39
7 tons ER PPC (LT)
10 tons 2x ER LL (RA/LA)
7 tons 7x ER ML (2 RA/LA, H, CT, RT)
6 tons Targeting Computer (RT)
6 tons Jump Jets (RL/LL/CT)
No hand or lower arm actuators

VARIANTS
You can probably juggle equipment placement to get the jump jets into the torso so the mech can jump from depth 1 water. My initial draft had 6 ER MLs but I came in a ton short - you can use the extra ton for another DHS with more equipment juggling (plenty of room in the legs for ER MLs). And, now that I think about it, a C3I or C3 slave would make the -10C pretty darn evil.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (05/25/12 09:29 PM)
scheinlen
05/25/12 09:34 PM

Nice mech, For the way I cut up my mech figurine, I would lose a ERML and some armor on the RT but add a C3i that would work well in my KH battalion...By using clan Tech I could also save some weight for geting a different engine for even better speed. I also like the relocation of the leg jump jets.

Edited by scheinlen (05/25/12 09:38 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/28/12 12:03 AM

Its OK but I would rather drop some of the long range fire power for more short range fire power.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
scheinlen
05/28/12 09:45 PM

At times that is true, but for my style of combat I rather hit at long range as much as possable while my brawler close under covering fire...
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/29/12 04:36 AM

Yes fire support mechs are good in there place.

My preference is a well rounded mech.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
scheinlen
05/29/12 05:29 PM

I like the medium to be general mechs, some heavys most of my assault and heavys mechs are brawlers . I prefer my lights to be general but need at least a long range weapon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5624

Contact Admins Sarna.net