I.C.E. Mechs

Pages: 1
Tripod
03/14/07 03:58 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A friend and I are working on a perversion of Bettletech and we wanted to make use of ICE mechs. As most posts begin here, I dont have a rulebook handy. I do remember ICE's weigh 2X the normal weight. Can someone list a brief overview of how they differ.

First off, I tried TDB(The Drawing Board) and it required 10 heat sinks, no less, costing 10 tons...this is not correct?

Vehicles that use ICE's and mount balistic weapons dont require heat sinks for these weapons correct? Would mechs?

Mechanical Jump Boosters only.

Gyro's Sensors Life support and cockpit's are still standard rules?

Also...

What is this Utility Mech Internal Structure? it weighs 2X and has 2X the points of internal structure? would this mean you could mount 2X the armor?

TY in advance
TBA
Toontje
03/14/07 04:17 PM

There is a new book (out now?) which contains all rules, including several other engine types if I read it right such as fission, battery and fuel cell type.
Rather to blow up, then.
Tripod
03/14/07 04:27 PM

What is this new book called?
TBA
CrayModerator
03/16/07 03:09 AM

Quote:

A friend and I are working on a perversion of Bettletech and we wanted to make use of ICE mechs. As most posts begin here, I dont have a rulebook handy. I do remember ICE's weigh 2X the normal weight. Can someone list a brief overview of how they differ.

First off, I tried TDB(The Drawing Board) and it required 10 heat sinks, no less, costing 10 tons...this is not correct?

That's wrong. You get 0 free heat sinks with the ICE. You are NOT required to add 10 heat sinks, but you should add some.

Quote:

Vehicles that use ICE's and mount balistic weapons dont require heat sinks for these weapons correct? Would mechs?

ICE mechs generate heat like normal battlemechs. You might note that fusion-powered tanks generate heat very differently from fusion-powered battlemechs.

Quote:

Gyro's Sensors Life support and cockpit's are still standard rules?

Yes. Everything else is normal battlemech stuff.

Quote:

What is this Utility Mech Internal Structure? it weighs 2X

Yes.

Quote:

and has 2X the points of internal structure?

No. It has normal internal structure points and is more vulnerable to critical hits. See Total Warfare for the latest rules on bringing WorkMechs into combat. (Hint: it's about as advisable as bringing a bulldozer into battle against an MBT.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
03/16/07 03:10 AM

Quote:

What is this new book called?

Total Warfare gives you the game play rules.
Tech Manual gives you the construction rules.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Tripod
03/16/07 04:20 AM

a friend picked up the TW book. we saw the bit about fuel explosions from overheating...

what about fuel consumption? conventional ICE fighters burn fuel correct? do ICE vehicles or mechs?

also, would a supercharger be compatable with an ICE engine? i know it's supposed to be lowtech but is it not an interesting thought? i never understood a supercharged funsion engine anyways...lol

side note, is the term " ICE Engine " correct? shouldn't it be " IC Engine " ?
TBA
Toontje
03/16/07 07:13 AM

havent seen tech manual yet, but fuel consumption and such ought to be listed therein.

My guess (guess, I stress that) is a fuel listed such as 400 MP, with every MP spent reducing fuel supply by 1 (possibly running/flank MP costing double the MP for fuel consumption), and damage as MP remaining/10.

Seperate list for conversion from fuel mass to MP for different units of different weight. (Would be more or less similar to aerofighter rules in this regard)
Rather to blow up, then.
CrayModerator
03/16/07 06:21 PM

Quote:

what about fuel consumption? conventional ICE fighters burn fuel correct? do ICE vehicles or mechs?

Standard ICE mechs have a 600km range without additional fuel tanks. Fuel cell-powered WorkMechs have a 450km range without extension.

Quote:

i never understood a supercharged funsion engine anyways...lol

The term "supercharger" in that application is a generic term for a gizmo meant to enhance the engine. It isn't necessarily a compressor driven by the engine's crankshaft.

Quote:

You are correct.

KamikazeJohnson
03/16/07 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are correct.

Whew! That clears that up...now if I can just remember my PIN number so I can get cash at the ATM machine...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
03/17/07 01:04 AM

Oh no not that joke again! LOL!
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Askhati
03/18/07 05:37 PM

Spank me if it sounds silly, but what about a fission engine? It could function as an intermediary between the ICE (lowTech) and the standard fusion - maybe 1.25x or 1.5x standard tonnage, 0.75x normal cost, and two extra crits in the CT?

Call it a brain-fart if you want...
Evolve or DIE!
Tripod
03/18/07 07:30 PM

"There is a new book (out now?) which contains all rules, including several other engine types if I read it right such as fission, battery and fuel cell type."

new books are "Total Warfare" or "Tech Manual"

not sure of the rules/stats...

If i started a new thread, would anyone be interested in coming up with, or sharing some ICE designs? Some friends and i are coming up with our own tech manual for a scenario we are working on. most of the designs will be theme based so fluff should be easy, and somewhat interesting...
TBA
Askhati
03/19/07 05:21 AM

So does anyone have this new book yet? I am quite curious on the new engine types - can someone please give a quick summary on how they differ from the standard fusion engines?

@ Tripod:
Sure, what are you looking for specifically? I did a theme-based series of BattleMechs some time ago (search this forum for the PAF company and designs like the Sparviero, [Saetta) for a Periphery-based BattleMech supplier, and this ICE idea of yours has a very definate Periphery sound to it. Would love to see what you guys have so far.
Evolve or DIE!
CrayModerator
03/19/07 09:06 AM

Quote:

Spank me if it sounds silly, but what about a fission engine? It could function as an intermediary between the ICE (lowTech) and the standard fusion - maybe 1.25x or 1.5x standard tonnage, 0.75x normal cost, and two extra crits in the CT?

Fission engines are available for WorkMechs only. They are addressed in the new Tech Manual.

Askhati
03/22/07 05:09 AM

Since we are on the topic of WorkMechs and the like, could anyone please explain why the WorkMechs have an internal structure that weights twice as much as the IS on a BattleMech? Also, are there any perks to this extra weight (eg increased lifting capacity, extra crits), or not?
Evolve or DIE!
Toontje
03/22/07 08:48 AM

Probably similar to the difference between standard IS and endo IS. No perks, just cheaper at the cost of some additional weight.
Rather to blow up, then.
CrayModerator
03/22/07 05:24 PM

Quote:

Since we are on the topic of WorkMechs and the like, could anyone please explain why the WorkMechs have an internal structure that weights twice as much as the IS on a BattleMech?

For the same reason that a fighter jet has a lower structural weight (for the same strength) than a civilian aircraft.

BattleMechs are built with complicated composite materials. Standard internal structures are composites of foamed aluminum cores cased in strong steel and wrapped in silicon carbide fibers. Endosteel uses super-strong, heavily alloyed steel produced in zero-G, cored with a modified aluminum foam that is also a zero-G product.

WorkMechs are built with simple, cheap, civilian materials, like plain steel tubing.

There are no perks to the WorkMech structure except (per Tech Manual) reduced cost. The WorkMech structure is more vulnerable to crits, twice as heavy, and provides the same number of internal structure points as BattleMech structures.

Oh, there is another advantage to WorkMech structures: civilian firms can buy it. Governments won't be inclined to let John Deere-3067 build its latest DiggerMech on a BattleMech structure.

Askhati
03/23/07 02:40 AM

Point. Although that lovely shade of green John Deere uses would look SO sexy on a refitted WorkMech...
Evolve or DIE!
Askhati
03/25/07 09:03 AM

Are there currently any items in use that can increase the lifting capabilities of a 'Mech? Something perhaps like enhanced actuators, a different IS, anything like that?
Evolve or DIE!
CrayModerator
03/25/07 06:43 PM

Quote:

Are there currently any items in use that can increase the lifting capabilities of a 'Mech? Something perhaps like enhanced actuators, a different IS, anything like that?

There's the lift hoist item for workmechs. The Tech Manual covers it.

KamikazeJohnson
03/26/07 02:06 AM

Quote:

TSM doubles your lifting capacity when active, but I gather you're looking for something more low-tech?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Toontje
03/26/07 03:57 AM

industrial TSM

Always on, but has some drawbacks that slipped me for the moment.
Rather to blow up, then.
Askhati
03/26/07 05:25 AM

Where can I get the rules on this Industrial TSM? And how exactly does the lifthoist function - is it basically like a crane built into the location (I assume torso only), or does it work differently?
Evolve or DIE!
Toontje
03/26/07 11:04 AM

TW
Rather to blow up, then.
Christopher_Perkins
05/17/08 03:17 AM

Quote:

Oh, there is another advantage to WorkMech structures: civilian firms can buy it. Governments won't be inclined to let John Deere-3067 build its latest DiggerMech on a BattleMech structure.

Exception to that would be Diving Mechs and Minining Mechs that would need the closed construction of BattleMechs...

Environemntal Sealing or Water Proofing of these would probably be costly enough to just make it cheaper to do it Battlemech Chassis with construction mech options
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Flouralok
04/18/11 12:11 AM

Hello, I'm renewed to the forum turned up here to essay support and your moral hearts.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/05/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

(Hint: it's about as advisable as bringing a bulldozer into battle against an MBT.)

Bulldozer blades make great armor against smaller weapons. A great many solders where saved by hiding behind a bulldozer blade. Now that wont protect you from a modern main gun of a tank. But back in WW2 it could from some of the smaller main guns of tanks.

Also bulldozer blades are mounted onto tanks for anti mine duties. The mine might put a big hole into the blade but with the space between the blade and the tanks armor the blast would not hurt the tank.

Also with modern missiles a solder could hide behind a bulldozer blade protected from the tanks machine gun and fire the missile into the tank.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
07/11/13 06:16 AM

Tanks do not fight alone, they have their buddies with them, three other tanks and if it is a combined arms battalion you run into then the PBI are there as well...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 23064

Contact Admins Sarna.net