MechCommander 2 Map Trouble

Pages: 1
BobTheZombieModerator
08/01/13 03:35 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've been trying to make some custom maps in MC2, but for some reason, they are not appearing in the "Solo Missions" list in-game. Could someone help?
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
BobTheZombieModerator
08/02/13 01:57 PM

Here is a background to bring you up to date: I made multiple maps a few years ago, but they curiously stopped working and, in turn, started corrupting. So I deleted all the maps in the data\missions\ folder and didn't mess with it for a while. I came back to it a week ago (the game works 100% of the time now!!), and I tried making a few test maps, but none of them showed up in the solo missions list, only a map that I had deleted! I went back to the folder and found the file, so I deleted it again. Now one of the saves (an old one with a similar name to a current one) shows up in 3 versions: Filename.fit, Filename.fit.old, and Filename.pak.old ... but none of the others show up in the folder: they only exist as temporary shortcuts that lead to nowhere. And when I go to solo missions, none of my maps show up there (except the normal campaign missions). I'll try searching further into the "shortcut saves" and see if I can locate them. Other than that I don't know what to do...
BobTheZombieModerator
03/01/14 10:04 PM

Now I'm also noticing that in the single player campaign, the squares that have road on them turn pink for no reason (the road is visible, but pink is under it). Oddly enough, intersections and curves in the road aren't affected. Any help would be appreciated.
ghostrider
03/01/14 10:44 PM

New windows?

some of the older games don't work as well as they should on the new os's.
BobTheZombieModerator
03/01/14 11:27 PM

Yes, it is windows vista, 32 bit, and doesn't use the disk. I hadn't played the game for a few months, and when I came back to it, this was happening. I also brought this up (the MC2 solo mission problems) at NGNG.net, but they kinda left it.
ghostrider
03/02/14 01:32 AM

Should have asked if you installed a newer version of windows, then had the problem, OR if it has been running on that windows version and are starting to have problems?

It may be possible the game is corrupted.
I would assume you have anti-virus and don't have a bug messing with your system.

Did you update the game or put in any mods? They might be the problem.
With your second post, did you download any maps from other people? It is possible you downloaded a trojan with it, but not saying that is what happened.

Deleting the maps folder and having the game work properly sounds fishy.

I know its stupid, but did the game remake the maps file again? I have had dos games not work because the game could not find the files because I added another hard drive, moving all the storage units letters around. Ie... drive d became drive e. The newer stuff should auto detect their stuff, but haven't added a new drive and tried it out.
BobTheZombieModerator
03/02/14 03:02 AM

Quote:
Should have asked if you installed a newer version of windows, then had the problem, OR if it has been running on that windows version and are starting to have problems?

No, I haven't changed windows versions; I simply hadn't played the game for a couple of months and I just recently played it again and noticed the road bug. I managed to get the game working by messing with a file so the graphics card would cooperate. But it didn't happen immediately after that.

Quote:
It may be possible the game is corrupted.
I would assume you have anti-virus and don't have a bug messing with your system.

It very well might be corrupted, because the game was an old copy and quite buggy. And no, I don't have any viruses; I have good antivirus + script blocking software (yay for Firefox).

Quote:

Did you update the game or put in any mods? They might be the problem.
With your second post, did you download any maps from other people? It is possible you downloaded a trojan with it, but not saying that is what happened.

I generally don't like mods in the first place, and have never added any for MC2. Also, I've never installed any updates for it. No, I didn't download any maps from other people (always look too shady), so that couldn't be it.

Quote:

Deleting the maps folder and having the game work properly sounds fishy.

I deleted maps from that folder, not the folder itself. The fix was changing some text in a file so the graphics card would function properly.

Quote:

I know its stupid, but did the game remake the maps file again? I have had dos games not work because the game could not find the files because I added another hard drive, moving all the storage units letters around. Ie... drive d became drive e. The newer stuff should auto detect their stuff, but haven't added a new drive and tried it out.

I didn't move around any drives, so that couldn't be it. It is quite possible that it is saving them to some weird hidden folder I can't find. It doesn't help that the editor seems to be royally messed up as that has so many errors and bugs (kinda like the MCX editor, but i digress).

At this point I'm more worried about getting the single player campaign working right (the road issue), though this is merely cosmetic. The solo missions thing is extra.

I guess I could try reinstalling the game, but I'd need the disk again, and I have no idea where that is.
BobTheZombieModerator
03/02/14 03:08 AM

[Further explanation of a term in an earlier post, posted to ngng.net , but not here]

Here is what I mean by "shortcut saves": when I search the name of one of my test maps it comes up with only one result. I open the file location to see where it is stored, and find it in a list of shortcuts. I open the properties of said shortcut and go the location, and nothing is there. WEIRD.
ghostrider
03/09/17 01:30 AM

Not sure if this was brought up before or not, but the QA people have been over paid and underworked with mech commander 2.

Got an old system going again and played it a few days ago. The pilots you have in battle sometimes give you feed back, and the little videos has them looking like telemarketers in a room. Not a single one of them has a neural helm on, nor do they appear to have a cooling vest on.
I found this amusing, as it makes it appear neither are needed in the board game. And remember. This game is about a small merc commander that barely had 2 bushwackers and a razorback mech. So they could not possible have all of their mech warriors with neural implants, especially those they recruit while on carver V.

Off topic, but it deals with mc2.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8070

Contact Admins Sarna.net