Physical Combat Mech

Pages: 1
Shadrak
09/19/13 11:41 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Does anyone have access to a "pure" physical combat mech? I would like to see the stats on one and, more importantly, hear how it played...

Specifically, I would like to see a mech about 35-40 tons with a vibroblade and claw, jump jets, 5-8-5, FF armor and Endosteel with standard components and TS Myomer...

If there was a way to produce one at 20-30 tons that used an advanced fuel cell for 4-6-4 with vibroblade, standard armor and endo steel, that would be cool too..I am looking at putting together a "low-tech" and "cheap" brawler lance.
Karagin
09/19/13 02:51 PM

Best ones would be the Hatchetman or Axman or many of the Solaris 7 mechs.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Shadrak
09/19/13 07:20 PM

Yeah...I am not looking for a mech that is a battlefield mech...I am looking for a Solaris mech someone has built with those kind of stats. Prefer a vibroblade over a hatchet or mace, too.
Karagin
09/19/13 08:01 PM

The mechs with the weapons for Solairs aren't that popular with a lot of folks, since they are more of a one off kind of thing, or so has been my experience. I can look through my files and see what I have, I am sure somewhere I played around with stuff like that on a mech.

Also check the older postings, my take on Voltron might still be there.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Shadrak
09/20/13 12:42 AM

Quote:
The mechs with the weapons for Solairs aren't that popular with a lot of folks, since they are more of a one off kind of thing, or so has been my experience. I can look through my files and see what I have, I am sure somewhere I played around with stuff like that on a mech.

Also check the older postings, my take on Voltron might still be there.

Thanks, I will track down your Voltron...if it is under 50 tons that should work nicely.
CrayModerator
09/20/13 05:16 PM

There are some light and medium 'Mechs in published TROs noted for their physical weaponry, but they aren't purely melee 'Mechs.

While considering "low tech" and "cheap" Mechs, keep in mind that melee 'Mechs are sort of like using an F22 or B2 as low tech, cheap ramming machines - they're not low tech, they're not cheap, and they can do a lot more than ram. Similarly, even non-fusion 'Mechs are ultra-tech war machines first built in the 25th Century and will be more expensive than an equivalent array of low-tech, non-fusion tanks.

Point being: if you can build 'Mechs at all then you can also build some nice ranged weapons for them. (Particularly if you can build endo-steel, which is a mark of very high tech, Star League-era zero-G manufacturing. Combining endo-steel and other advanced gear like triple strength myomers undermines your "low tech" goal.)

Further, melee weapons can be impressive and memorable - when they hit, and when they're swung by either a really big 'Mech and/or a 'Mech with triple strength myomers. In the mean time, they're simply range 0 weapons that do a modest amount of damage. (Particularly so at 20- to 30-tons, where most melee weapons do damage comparable to a medium laser.)

I recently ran a campaign around a lance of medium 'Mechs. One would-be samurai PC had a Hatchetman and a piloting skill of 1 to wield its hatchet most awesomely. He usually spent most of the game closing with his victims, by which time the other 'Mechs in the lance had usually scored kills or inflicted significant damage with their ranged weapons. Melee weapons only attack at range 0; ranged weapons get many chances to attack at many ranges, meaning they have more opportunities to do damage than melee weapons.

But if you're okay with the drawbacks of melee weapons, then you can probably build some nice melee-only 'Mechs. I just don't think there's any published models with exactly your requirements.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Shadrak
09/21/13 11:53 AM

Quote:
There are some light and medium 'Mechs in published TROs noted for their physical weaponry, but they aren't purely melee 'Mechs.

While considering "low tech" and "cheap" Mechs, keep in mind that melee 'Mechs are sort of like using an F22 or B2 as low tech, cheap ramming machines - they're not low tech, they're not cheap, and they can do a lot more than ram. Similarly, even non-fusion 'Mechs are ultra-tech war machines first built in the 25th Century and will be more expensive than an equivalent array of low-tech, non-fusion tanks.

I am tracking, but I am looking more at a B-52 in a world of B2s and F22s. And I am trying to determine if there are weapon systems that can be mounted independently and don't require advanced targeting systems.

[qutoe]Point being: if you can build 'Mechs at all then you can also build some nice ranged weapons for them. (Particularly if you can build endo-steel, which is a mark of very high tech, Star League-era zero-G manufacturing. Combining endo-steel and other advanced gear like triple strength myomers undermines your "low tech" goal.)

Agreed, but 2 caveats...we can't assume a manufacturer builds every component A-Z. Building an industrial mech is presumed to be much easier than building a battlemech for a variety of reasons...if not, an agriculture 'mech would never see a decent return on investment. So, if a group or company can produce an industrial mech (relatively low-tech) and purchase low cost/high tech components from other manufacturers/groups (Endo Steel, TSM, advanced armor as opposed to advanced engines and weaponry), then, will the manufacturer doesn't have the capability to produce the component, they can produce the design. Like having the ability to produce a medium range missle and purchasing nuclear warheads from a country with nuclear capabilities. But, since I have just been playing with the construction rules, I haven't determined where all of the costs are.

Quote:
Further, melee weapons can be impressive and memorable - when they hit, and when they're swung by either a really big 'Mech and/or a 'Mech with triple strength myomers. In the mean time, they're simply range 0 weapons that do a modest amount of damage. (Particularly so at 20- to 30-tons, where most melee weapons do damage comparable to a medium laser.)

Also tracking, that's why I want TSM, though I am not sure TSM affects Mech VibroWeapons (and I don't know what sizes Mech Vibroweapons are...can a 20ton mech use a large Vibrosword?)

Quote:
I recently ran a campaign around a lance of medium 'Mechs. One would-be samurai PC had a Hatchetman and a piloting skill of 1 to wield its hatchet most awesomely. He usually spent most of the game closing with his victims, by which time the other 'Mechs in the lance had usually scored kills or inflicted significant damage with their ranged weapons. Melee weapons only attack at range 0; ranged weapons get many chances to attack at many ranges, meaning they have more opportunities to do damage than melee weapons.

I want to run something similar, but with LRM/SRM/AC-2/AC-5/AC-10 Carriers.

Quote:
But if you're okay with the drawbacks of melee weapons, then you can probably build some nice melee-only 'Mechs. I just don't think there's any published models with exactly your requirements.

I'm okay with the drawbacks, but what I am really looking for is a 'Mech whose cost is low enough to justify its inclusion in a force that uses LRM/SRM carriers. If you can afford a high-tech mech, you probably should be running high-tech vehicles as well.

If there aren't any models, I will try to build a couple and see where the costs come out (I have the designs, but haven't taken the time to calculate cost).
ghostrider
09/21/13 03:32 PM

Well without using tsm, you could use a lighter mech with masc system to get in range quickly. Having a c3 on it would help its lancemates as well.

Unless they change the tsm, you needed to heat up a mech to past 8 on the heat scale. Another possible issue is only one type of physical attack per round. Kick, single punch, or double punch.
Shadrak
09/21/13 07:00 PM

I have put a 50 ton industrial mech together that has 8.5 tons of armor, 1 large vibroblade (14 damage), and 4 light MGs in a MG array,

It has a 200 rated Fuel Cell engine

Total Cost: 1,661,000 +1.5 tons floating around (I had a supercharger for speed, but that added 2 million to the cost).

Edited by Shadrak (09/21/13 07:01 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5027

Contact Admins Sarna.net