Mirage Multipurpose Chopper Series

Pages: 1
Retry
10/12/13 02:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm using these for a series of alternate history skirmishes.
Crossroads, a non-canon periphery faction, was formed when Aleksandr Kerensky found a planet that could sustain some life in the moderately deep periphery. It couldn't sustain the entire fleetsworth of people at a first glance. Those who wanted to get off most were allowed to get off, and the majority of the fleet continued to make up what the Clans are today. Aleksandr, for reason known only to himself, deleted the charts to the discovered planets, so it's whereabouts were unknown until recently.
Anyways, not long after the fleet's departure, large He3 deposits were discovered on a nearby moon of the planet. With a couple jumpships Kerensky left behind for the colonists, they were able to jump to larger periphery nations, selling He3 and gaining money, tourists, and new colonists in hope for a better life. Before long the planet, who the origional colonists dubbed "Crossroads" as it really started it's incline when it became the main periphery trading planet of He3.
Those who know about the planet sometimes call it the "last remnant of the star league". Military technologies are up with Clan quality weapons, but the planet is not afraid to utilize technologies such as TAG, C3, and artillery as the honorable clans are.
Both the inner sphere and most of the descendants of Aleksandr Kerensky were unaware of the existence of this nation until 3098, where an unknown civillian of Crossroads revealed the location to several potential IS factions in hopes of selling them his products. Though this could open new trading opportunities(not so much with the Clans as the IS), most believe this means it's only a matter of time before someone attempts to plunder the planet.
----
Anyways, enough of this alternate nation fluff.

The chopper variant itself, the Mirage Raider, is best operated under TW rules. Anything that deals less damage than a Gauss Rifle does not deal damage to the rotor thanks to it's FL armor and TW rules. (However, hits to the rotor still decrease walking speed by 1 per hit, and the VTOL will still suffer severely and crash at 0, even though it isn't rendered useless outright like 2 hits to the rotor normally does.). Extremely expensive for a VTOL, this is a favorite for veteran VTOL pilots that can afford it due to it's excellent survivability and firepower that isn't seen in most VTOLs. The Mirage Raider is the principle Crossroadian Attack Chopper in the military, and is generally seen as one of the most advanced choppers in existence.
----
Mirage Multipurpose Chopper(Raider)
Mixed (Base Clan)
30 tons
BV: 1,442(Personally this seems a bit inflated to me, even in TW rules)
Cost: 3,970,000 C-bills

Movement: 8/12 (VTOL)
Engine: 100 XL

Internal: 15
Armor: 126 (Ferro-Lamellor)
Internal Armor
--------------------------------------
Front 3 50
Right 3 25
Left 3 25
Rear 3 24

Weapon Loc Heat
----------------------------------------
ER Medium Laser FR 5
ER Medium Laser FR 5
LRM 15 FR 5

Ammo Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
LRM 15 (Clan) Artemis V-capable Ammo BD 8
LRM 15 (Clan) Artemis V-capable Ammo BD 8

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
Artemis V FCS FR
Sponson Turret FR
Targeting Computer BD
Armored Chassis BD
-----------------------------------
I have more types of Mirages which I may post later.

Edited by Retry (10/12/13 02:16 PM)
Karagin
10/12/13 03:03 PM

Given that the ArtV is built into the launch it is not suppose to be listed as separate equipment and the Sponson turrets are side mounted items not front mounted items, chin turret would be a better idea for the weapons.

So either the weapons are in a turret of some type or they are in the front arc facing forward with the limited firing arc to that location. Also what program did you use to build this VTOL?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
10/12/13 03:21 PM

Also you really don't need the XL engine is this, standard fusion will give you the same speed for a lot less cost. As for the newer Ferro armor, do you really need that on a vehicle that can be killed faster then hover craft? I say cut more cost and stick with standard Ferro Armor.

Here is another take, I went with Laser Reflective since well the new Ferro is that more or less.

Code:
          BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
VALIDATED

Type/Model: Swifter
Tech: Clan / 3060
Config: V.T.O.L.
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 30 tons
Power Plant: 100 Fusion
Cruise Speed: 86.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 129.6 km/h
Armor Type: Laser Reflective
Armament:
1 LRM 15 w/ Artemis V
2 ER Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Swifter
Mass: 30 tons

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 15 pts Standard 0 3.00
Engine: 100 Fusion 0 3.00
Shielding & Transmission Equipment: 0 1.50
Cruise MP: 8
Flank MP: 12
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 1.50
Crew: 2 Members 0 .00
Rotor Equipment: Dual Rotors 0 3.00
Armor Factor: 128 pts Laser Reflective 1 8.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 3 46
Left / Right Sides: 3 30/30
Rear: 3 20
Rotor: 3 2

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 LRM 15 w/ Artemis V Front 0 16 2 7.00
2 ER Medium Lasers Front 10 2 2.00
1 Targeting Computer 1 1.00
1 C.A.S.E. Equipment Body 0 .00
TOTALS: 10 6 30.00
Items & Tons Left: 5 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 3,100,000 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,381 (old BV = 1,928)
Cost per BV: 2,244.75
Weapon Value: 961 / 869 (Ratio = .70 / .63)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 24; MRDmg = 19; LRDmg = 6
BattleForce2: MP: 8V, Armor/Structure: 0 / 5
Damage PB/M/L: 3/3/1, Overheat: 0
Class: VA; Point Value: 14
Specials: if

What do you know same VTOL, cheaper and lower BV, (not that I personally worry about BV), but there you go.
Karagin

Retry
10/12/13 10:10 PM

Ah, the program was Megamek. I basically copy-pasted the export info from the original design and put it here.
The purpose of the XL engine is to mount extra FL armor. The purpose of the FL armor is to dampen the effect of rotor hits from AA weapons like LB-X ACs.
So, in TW rules damage applicable to the rotor is divided by 10 and rounds to the nearest #. A weapon dealing 10 damage normally would deal 1 to a rotor, something dealing 15 damage would deal 2(1.5 rounds up) to a rotor. If I interperated this right, FL armor must negate at least 1 point of damage. Thus, it takes a 15 damage hit or more to deal tangible damage to a rotor. It's not a 100% cure to the normal fragility of VTOLs(Every rotor hit decreases cruise MP by 1, so instead of 2 rotor hits to take down it's more like 8). Testing these against the AI in megamek I was able to take down light mechs at the same tonnage thanks to the fact that they didn't fall down when they were stared at.
I'm not sure I fancy your chopper, though I appreciate you trying to help. Here's why:
>It's considerably more vulnerable to rotor damage and lucky crits, especially to armor piercing ammunition. Pilots thus have a much lesser chance to survive. Considering it's supposed to be elite VTOL pilots using these, not treated as disposable.
>For being only 1 million cheaper it's also significantly easier to destroy in TW. That said it still costs 3 million. Not really work it IMO.
Thanks for the input, I plan to edit out the sponson turret shortly!
Karagin
10/12/13 10:24 PM

Even with the extra ability of the armor, the VTOL is still going to die faster then anything else, the cost of the craft goes up if you are going to use the new stuff and as you said its' not worth it if you aren't gaining much in return. Though the need for VTOLs remain, it just seems that one has to weight what they want vs what they can have.
Karagin

Retry
10/12/13 11:52 PM

I disagree with your first point on the basis of my tests with AI but I do not wish to argue further. (If you wish to test it's durability you may. Make sure you move at least at least max flank speed to make use of the VTOL's, inherent difficulty to hit). Overall how would you "grade" the chopper in comparison to other XL engine attack helicopter designs?
Karagin
10/13/13 12:06 AM

The idea of the XL engine is to gain either speed or weight to mount bigger items. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. If you are going for cost issues, then non-XL machines win hands down. As for this one versus other XL VTOLs...I would say it has it's place among them.
Karagin

Retry
10/13/13 12:46 AM

Yeah, it gains 2 tons spare with the XL. This doesn't seem like much, but those two tons allow the VTOL to carry it's intended payload while keeping sufficient armor to shrug off quite a bit of attacks. That -28 I'd have to sacrifice in armor(That's the only thing I'd be "willing" to sacrifice) to mount a fusion engine certainly would save some cash, and is a potential variant that could be used for lend-lease(That or a fuel cell engine, writing off them lasers), the current raider is hell-bent at allowing elite VTOL pilots to give them the best chance of survival and the best chance to inflict major damage.

I just may make such a version with a fuel cell for general purposes, not just elites.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4838

Contact Admins Sarna.net