MechWarrior 3

Pages: 1
AncientxFreako
11/11/13 12:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Does anyone still play this old game?

I do, and I've been making mods for it, if anyone's interested, contact me at mech3.org
EdmondDantes224
12/15/13 04:28 AM

I literally just picked this game up at a used game store. So far its been a blast, but man is it tough!
BobTheZombieModerator
12/15/13 10:30 AM

I just started this game a little while back, and still have yet to finish it, but I'm not too interested in mods right now.

Oh, and the reason that it's tough is because it is an old-enough game that they don't just hold your hand the entire time, and you really have to get into it.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
EdmondDantes224
12/15/13 11:00 PM

It's weird to hear 1999 being called "old." Being someone who grew up with the NES and 16-Bit console wars, to me Mechwarrior 3 is around the edge of "Modern" gaming.

But yeah, still justifiably tough as nails. Every Instant Action I've been in, I've had to resort to Alpha Strikes on legs to down my opponent before they down me.
Karagin
12/15/13 11:35 PM

Old would be the days of the Commodore 64 or Apple IIe time.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
12/16/13 07:06 PM

Quote:
It's weird to hear 1999 being called "old."

I have interns go by my desk at work, see my TI-81 high school calculator, and comment that the calculator is older than they are. Oldness apparently begins when the pop songs of your high school era show up mostly on the oldie stations.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
12/16/13 09:29 PM

commadore old? try the pet and the vic 20. I do like the commadore games, especially things like mule.

As for mechwarrior 3, taking down the enemy before they get in range is nice, but all the mechwarrior games Ive played dont give you much chance. They like starting you off to close to do that. I remember the first mechwarrior played on a 8 mhz system with a turbo boost up to a whole 16 mhz. Think it was an 8088 processor chip. The same one the comadore used. Battlemaster was the bad boy in that one. Head shots were easier to get. Still difficult, but doable.
EdmondDantes224
12/17/13 02:06 AM

NOTE TO ADMINS: Check the forum code... it keeps warning me to remove the links in my post, when I never put any links here to begin with.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
12/17/13 04:19 PM

Hi Edmond,

When is it prompting you? After you've typed your message and clicked on Continue? Does it block you from posting or is it just warning you?

It will warn you for the first X posts that you cannot post links.
-- NicJ
EdmondDantes224
12/17/13 10:04 PM

It was warning me when I clicked "Continue." And yes it blocked me from posting.

It seems like I've gotten permission to post links now tho, so it should be cleared up. Just it was weird that it was seeing links where there weren't any.
BobTheZombieModerator
01/02/14 01:16 PM

Quote:
It's weird to hear 1999 being called "old."

Yeah, it really is. Most of my favorite games are from around the turn of the millennium, as they have such great replay value.
EdmondDantes224
01/02/14 07:09 PM

If Mechwarrior 3 is old, then what's Mechwarrior 1 for DOS or SNES?
ghostrider
01/02/14 08:23 PM

played the original mechwarrior on a 16 mhz machine. It was dos run software that could be run in windows. The game speed was based on the cpu speed. I posted this already. It was fun, but didnt realize there was an actual mission that you were supposed to do instead of just buying a nice lance of battlemasters. It did have one issue that newer games have taken care of. If you forgot what comes next, there was no way to find out.

When i had gotten a 3 mhz machine, it was almost unplayable. By the time you realized the ppc was online again, the enemy was bumping into you.

Kinda like wing commander in later times.
EdmondDantes224
01/03/14 02:39 PM

The infamous "old game runs too fast" issue.

However, Dosbox is a good way to fix that issue for most games. I actually still have an older comp for older games, too.
ghostrider
01/03/14 10:16 PM

problem im running into is that the newer upgrades dont work with them. I keep getting contact the manufacturers and have them update it. More then a few dont exist anymore.

try the original ultima on the newer systems without anything to slow it down. funny as hell to watch the demos.
EdmondDantes224
01/04/14 11:09 PM

What do you mean "newer upgrades?" Who the heck is still making upgrades for older Mechwarrior games?

And yeah, I've seen Ultima run faster than the speed of light.
ghostrider
01/05/14 01:30 AM

sorry. Should have clarified that. Newer upgrades seems to be anything newer then windows xp or vista.
As for the manufacturer of the games, that is my point exactly when windows tells me the game will not work with this version of windows. So much for being downward compatible anymore.
EdmondDantes224
01/05/14 11:19 PM

That's largely because Windows 98 (and ME I believe?) were built on DOS kernals, but XP and above weren't, so they're lacking some essential features older games required to run.

This is why you need stuff like Dosbox, or a Virtual Machine for Windows games.

The whole speed thing is an issue too.
ghostrider
01/06/14 11:30 AM

didnt have issues with xp or vista. The games i got run on them. Its the newer versions of windows that im having issues with. Wierd thing is not all the games are having issues.
As for the speed issues, did have a laugh with dungeon keeper. Got invaded before i knew what was up. also trying to catch one of the fast imps and he was gone before i could click.
This part of the conversation can be moved to the off topic section. Started a thread about old games and would like to see them redone. Kinda threadjacked this one.

Not sure If i got mechwarrior 3 or not. havent unpacked the games box. Not even sure if my joystick works.
YSIM
01/22/14 11:52 PM

Don't need a stick for MW3, that's why it was still the superior game... MW4 ruined the franchise IMHO... MW3 was the last of the great MechWarrior games.

Sadly, my disk is so scratched up it wont install anymore...
BobTheZombieModerator
03/01/14 07:24 PM

Quote:
Don't need a stick for MW3

Yes, it is quite nice to be able to go without the joystick, yet the edge it gives makes it feel like you're cheating.

Quote:
that's why it was still the superior game... MW4 ruined the franchise IMHO...

I dunno, maybe I disagree because I played MW4 first.They both have their ups and downs, so I won't hate on either one. I surely find myself playing MW4 more though...
AncientxFreako
03/08/14 08:32 AM

Hey guys! Wow, nice response in here! Feel free to highjack this thread all you want, maybe I'll rename it to "Old Mech Jocks Start here", haha, nice to see some guys from the old days. I'm guessing Sarna is probably where we old never-say-die die-hards congretate, and it makes sense.

Myself, I'm an old Mech3 multiplayer vet...never really had much interest in other games. Did some time in the Mech4 era but it never really floated my boat. So, I've been working on modish modules for Mech3 and Pirate's Moon since about 2003.

Quote:
EdmondDantes224 writes:

I literally just picked this game up at a used game store. So far its been a blast, but man is it tough!

My friend, if you think the game is tough out of the box I would say put in a lot of practice before trying my improved AI campaign and instant action modules. This inspires me to perhaps get to work on an idea I had a while back to re-make the "training missions" to a more advanced level. But, if you don't want to wait here's three suggestions: Never stop moving, use lateral movement at all times, and when entering into firing range of a group of enemies using lateral movement wait until your lance has formed a "skirmish line" behind you...lead them perpendicularly facing the enemies..THEN order them to attack. This will save you and them from a lot of damage.

Link to my Mech3 Mod website:

http://mech3mod.weebly.com/index.html

Anyway, BobtheZombie, here I am reporting for proof-reading duty!

Edited by AncientxFreako (03/08/14 08:36 AM)
BobTheZombieModerator
03/09/14 02:03 PM

Quote:
AncientxFreako writes:
Link to my Mech3 Mod website:

I didn't know you ran the MW3 mod site; that's cool!

As for the wiki - for some reason the accounts for the forum and the wiki are separate, so you'll need to make an account there also. If you need to contact people on the wiki, leave a message by editing their User talk page or, if you must, you can email them.

What you want to proofread/work on is completely up to you. There are many different lists/means by which you could help. I'd suggest finding what you are most interested in and focusing on that, or if you want you can just hit the "random page" button and usually there will be something worth improving. You could go by category if you wanted or even browse every page that has a {{cleanup}} tag on it. I think that the BattleMech pages and other famous pages *should* be better kept, so perhaps you could look at those. The biography pages also seem to have lots of variation in tense and style, so perhaps those also are a place to start. Either way, do what you want and I'll make sure to help you along the way.

Edited by BobTheZombie (03/09/14 03:26 PM)
EdmondDantes224
03/12/14 01:33 PM

Well, prepare to be jealous (or not),

I just picked up Powerhits: Battletech! So yeah, now I have Mechwarrior 1, 2, and 3! (Just need Mechwarrior 4 and I'll have the whole quad damage...)

And you guys thought Mech3 was tough... Mech1 literally kicks your face in the minute you start a mission.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9690

Contact Admins Sarna.net