The new look

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
08/19/13 11:01 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Am I the only one that does not like the new look and wishes the old one to be brought back?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
08/19/13 11:21 PM

It is bright. I do like the logo and the headers. The quick reply could be dropped to below the already posted thread comments. I do like that i don't have to un-select preview and all of that before submitting.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/20/13 02:18 AM

What don't you like about it?
-- NicJ
Karagin
08/20/13 06:27 AM

I don't like having to keep removing the check mark in the Preview Reply box, I don't think we need the feature to be a default to always being checked.

Also I don't follow the Neveron boards, the old board had it that I could hide those sections, that was I think a good feature to have brought forward to here.
Karagin

08/20/13 10:31 AM

Before the update what the person wanted to do attracted the viewers attention. Now all that yellow attracts the viewers attention and the bare bones stuff for the reason people come to the website has been so down played to almost plane text that it is hiding behind all the flash.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/20/13 10:45 AM

Quote:
I don't like having to keep removing the check mark in the Preview Reply box, I don't think we need the feature to be a default to always being checked.

I didn't change anything with regards to this setting or checkbox, I'm not sure why it changed for you.

You can stop the Preview option from being checked by default by setting "Do you want the preview post screen default off or on?" to "Off" in your Settings | Display preferences.
-- NicJ
Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/20/13 10:47 AM

Quote:
Before the update what the person wanted to do attracted the viewers attention. Now all that yellow attracts the viewers attention and the bare bones stuff for the reason people come to the website has been so down played to almost plane text that it is hiding behind all the flash.

I don't really understand your sentences...

Is this an accurate rewording of what you were saying?

"Before the update, the common actions a user wanted to take (such as Replying, Editing, Quoting) were easy to spot and attracted the poster's attention. Now, the standard sarna.net navigation yellow bar at the top attracts the user's attention more than the relatively muted action button/icons (Reply, Edit, Quote, etc)."

If so, then yes, I would agree, but that is part of the design aesthetic I am going for. The previous forum interface was far too cluttered, had too much text on the screen, and all of the million interface buttons detracted from the core value of the forums, which are the posts' content. I purposely minimized the real-estate for these actions (such as Reply, Quote, Edit) so the posts' text would be highlighted front-and-center.

However, if there are specific interface elements that you commonly use and that you find to be obtrusive and / or annoying to use now, please let me know and I can try to tweak how they show up.
Gunner
08/20/13 08:23 PM

It needs a box around our names and posts. With some people having no signature line or anything, some of the posts blend together and are hard to see where the new one starts.
It's a bird...It's a plane...Goddamit! It's another NUKE!
Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/20/13 08:31 PM

That's true. I've added a border between posts.
-- NicJ
Gunner
08/20/13 08:38 PM

Also, there's no icon for a locked thread. This makes it difficult to respond to SM, or an edit post button. Honestly, it looks like a horribly underdone forum site from the 1990s. I mean that constructively, it's just far too plain.
Karagin
08/20/13 10:27 PM

Any chance the mark all read setting could be move to the front page of the boards?
Karagin

Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/21/13 01:37 AM

Quote:
Also, there's no icon for a locked thread.

On the topics list, locked threads should have an icon. Is there another place that I've missed? For example:

http://www.sarna.net/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/neverongd

Quote:
This makes it difficult to respond to SM, or an edit post button. Honestly, it looks like a horribly underdone forum site from the 1990s. I mean that constructively, it's just far too plain.

Plain and clean is what I was going for. In my opinion, many of today's forums look far too busy and cluttered. The focus should be on the content (the posts), not millions of UI options littered about.

Note this is the exact same forum software that you were using a week ago -- all that's changed is the font, extra padding, and many of the UI buttons were de-focused. Sadly we're using the same forum software that we started with in 2001, so yes, it's features will be 1990s-era.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/21/13 01:39 AM

Quote:
Any chance the mark all read setting could be move to the front page of the boards?

Was the option there before and I removed it? Or do you just want a link on the front page?
Karagin
08/21/13 06:25 AM

It was never on the front page always in the settings of the user...I would like to see it on the front page but that is just me.
Karagin

Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/21/13 11:00 PM

Quote:
It was never on the front page always in the settings of the user...I would like to see it on the front page but that is just me.

It was easy enough to add, so I added a link in the bottom-left of the forums index.
Gunner
08/21/13 11:08 PM

It's possible my computer wasnt seeing the icons I suppose. All topics started at the same distance from the edge of my screen withy the topic name, but I see the icons on my phone now. The lines separating our posts are great.
skiltao
08/22/13 12:58 PM

Right now, the "Last Post" column on the main page looks like this:

Quote:
Re: Thread Link
Username - 08/21/13 08:08 PM

Could you switch the datestamps to the left and usernames to the right? It would make it quicker to see which boards have new posts.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
08/22/13 04:15 PM

Good idea skiltao, updated.
-- NicJ
11/20/13 08:23 AM

I still dont like that my name reads as
His_Most_Royal_Higha
ss_Donkey.

It makes it look like I support nazisom. =(

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7587

Contact Admins Sarna.net