Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 18 Double [36] 12 8.00
(Heat Sink Loc: 2 LA, 2 RA)
Gyro: 4 4.00
Small Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 4 2.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA R: Sh+UA+LA 14 .00
Armor Factor: 217 pts Ferro-Fibrous 14 12.50
(Armor Crit Loc: 2 HD, 7 LT, 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 22 33
Center Torso (Rear): 11
L/R Side Torso: 15 22/22
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 8/8
L/R Arm: 11 22/22
L/R Leg: 15 30/30

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
--------------------------------------------------------
1 PPC RA 10 3 7.00
1 PPC LA 10 3 7.00
1 MML 7* RT 4 34 6 6.50
(Ammo Locations: 2 RT)
1 Machine Gun RT 0 200 2 1.50
(Ammo Locations: 1 RT)
1 Machine Gun LT 0 1 .50
1 ER Medium Laser LT 5 1 1.00
1 ER Medium Laser CT 5 1 1.00
CASE Equipment: RT 1 .50
--------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS: 34 78 70.00
Crits & Tons Left: 0 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 16,590,866 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,512 (old BV = 1,311)
Cost per BV2: 10,972.79
Weapon Value: 2,004 / 2,004 (Ratio = 1.33 / 1.33)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 27; MRDmg = 19; LRDmg = 6
BattleForce2: MP: 5, Armor/Structure: 5/3
Damage PB/M/L: 5/3/2, Overheat: 0
Class: MH; Point Value: 15
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
12/15/13 10:21 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
That's a lot of heat sinks when your main weapons only generate about 25 heat.
Karagin
12/15/13 11:34 PM

It has enough to cover all the alpha strikes one could want to do at close range...since that seems to be the new norm for the game.

I could shave a few out of there as variant or two, though.
Karagin

CrayModerator
12/16/13 06:42 PM

With the tech put into this - XL, DHS, composite, MMLs - ER PPCs would be a 0-weight upgrade that makes better use of the installed DHS, even in alpha strikes.

I mean, if you wanted to do so. There's also something nice to be said about having reserve heat sink capacity for hostile environments.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (12/16/13 06:42 PM)
Retry
12/16/13 07:12 PM

I have custom mech types for fighting in hostile environs.
Anyways, not everyone fights with mechs as if they are within a gladiator arena. I like going against the norm, which explains my like for quad mechs, naval units, and ferro-lamellor helicopters. I'd personally remove the MGs and ER lasers, upgrade the PPCs to ER, and turn the MML into a 9 attached to an Artemis IV for maximum ammunition efficiency.
CrayModerator
12/16/13 10:32 PM

Medium lasers are too useful to ditch. They're a low-heat, low-weight enhancement of short-range damage. The MML-9 doesn't bring as much extra, ammo-independent firepower to the table as the pair of ER MLs. (Through I could be talked into turning them into standard MLs for heat control; Inner Sphere ER MLs won't add much more when paired with PPCs compared to standard MLs.)

As for custom 'Mechs for hostile environments, you don't always have the option of swapping out your current units for custom-crafted units. BT is a particularly bad about flexible force structures, keeping the same 'Mechs in a force for decades. A more versatile unit is helpful when you're stuck with the forces you have.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
12/16/13 10:48 PM

IMO if you don't have the option to pick the better options, someone up in the chain of command screwed up.

If I want a versatile jack of all trades I take tanks. If I want super special operation warmachines that are capable in deserts, frozen wastelands, amphibious operations, or Zero-G environments. Which, when you consider their C-Bill costs and their awesome most-terrain capabilities, is the niche that makes the most sense for them to fill.

ER MLs are moderate heat, not low heat, and if you are going to switch to ER PPCs while still utilizing alpha strikes they will be too taxing. MML-9s, for the same heat, can provide excellent short range crit seeking power while being capable of enhancing long ranged firepower(Which medium lasers cannot do). Without artemis they are still very capable with all sorts of alternate ammunition loadouts possible with a couple tons. It's a lovely weapon system that I frequently utilize on my lower-tech machines and occasionally even high tech clan level tanks and mechs.
Karagin
12/17/13 12:00 AM

One thing, those choices always get made by the politicians control the purse strings...the military can ask for what it wants, and then has to be smart enough to know that it will only get a fraction of what it wants.
Karagin

TigerShark
12/17/13 02:31 AM

This seems very "Kurita" to me, especially after the revelation of the WHM-6Rk came about in ER:2750.

A 5/8 WHM- is definitely a solid design, however. The backup weapons are simple. Gives me an idea...
CrayModerator
12/17/13 06:33 PM

Quote:
IMO if you don't have the option to pick the better options, someone up in the chain of command screwed up.

There's also enemy action, which often denies you the opportunity to get the equipment you need in multitudes of ways: blowing up your factories, cutting your supply lines, destroying that load of specialized equipment before it gets to you, etc. And when your interstellar supply lines are months long, simply scheduling accessibility of specialized combat units for a certain mission is difficult.

The history of warfare is more often filled with, "making use of what's available" rather than "having every item desired."

Quote:
ER MLs are moderate heat, not low heat

My opening statement of "Medium lasers" referred to the whole class of weapons; my bad for the lack of clarity. Later in the paragraph I differentiated between standard and ER MLs.

Edited by Cray (12/17/13 06:37 PM)
ghostrider
12/18/13 01:10 PM

Battle tech did come out with a quicker way of changing weapon loads. Its call the omni-mech. Even the omni-vehicles did it for tanks.
I do find it mildly suprising that the innersphere has yet to match the clans ability to lower the number of crits for a normal weapon. Granted not alot of mechs run into a lack of critical spots unless they use the innersphere endosteel and ferrous fibre armor. The same with missle launcher weights. Also why hasnt the innersphere got a zero weight case system yet?

The one thing I do wonder about this design is something cray asks about not using erppcs on it. Yes it is a second line mech according to the story info. Depending on the story line/set up of the second line units, I would think maybe a tag system would help. But that would be an option.
TigerShark
12/18/13 05:30 PM

It's not that the IS is incapable of reproducing Clan-grade technology; it's that it's too cost- and labor-inefficient.

It's a rough comparison, but imagine suggesting that all cars be equipped with bullet-proof glass. The cost of each unit would go far beyond what anyone would want to pay for a simple car, so they use a "lower-grade" of material.

The Clans don't have the same economics. 100% of their labor force works under a system of communal property. Whether they spend 12 hours or 24 hours on a job, you don't have to pay them since money is a moot concept. That's why the Clans have better stuff, for the most part. They can "afford it" due to a zero-wage balance sheet.
Retry
12/18/13 06:16 PM

In the Soviet Clan Worlds...
Anyways, XL engines aren't exactly the go-to equipment for either second-line units or something that just happens to be lying around for use. It, along with the advanced composite structure, are cutting edge equipment for cutting edge mechs, not items you scrounge up for use of whatever happens to be available.
ghostrider
12/18/13 10:35 PM

some of the tech may not be cost effective, but necesary, like limb regeneration. That would allow alot of the skilled warriors in the innersphere to go back into the front lines, even years in the future, making it more efficient that training new warriors.

I would suspect, that lighter launchers would be worth it, since that would mean more weapons and other equipment on the second line mechs. What is a couple hundred thousand on a multi million dollar maching, especially if it might save you from losing the unit.

The use of ferrous fibre armor would definately benefit from using clan armor for the extra armor points would help.

The more you make, the cheaper the item gets.
Retry
12/18/13 11:15 PM

A couple hundreds of millions? I'd estimate the costs are more than many trillions just to start up.
Anyways, I believe some of the technologies of the Clans use resources only available on clan worlds.
TigerShark
12/19/13 01:42 AM

There really aren't any unique materials. It's more about the metallurgy and purity of materials. They probably have better methods for polishing lenses in the lasers, better methods for extracting impurities from the metals, etc.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5953

Contact Admins Sarna.net