Superchargers

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
01/03/14 09:41 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is it just me, or are the construction rules for Superchargers weird, as well as being out of whack with just about everything else? In my mind, a Supercharger on a 300 ton-rated engine should be the same regardless of whether the engine in question is a Standard, Light, XL, or XXL, rather than shrinking along with the tonnage of the engine.

Example being, I posted a 'Mech some time ago which used a Supercharged 330XXL at a cost of 0.9 tons, boosting the 'Mech's speed into the realm of the ridiculous.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
01/03/14 09:51 PM

I am not sure if it has changed with new rule set out there but it does indeed need to be looked at. With MASC I don't see the need of the Supercharger for a mech, given how it works on a vehicle in real life. But then again it seems that a lot of things in BT of late don't make sense.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
01/03/14 10:17 PM

Supercharger has its applications. First and foremost, installing both on a 'Mech allows the pilot to alternate, keeping the risk of failure at the minimal 1/36 chance. Alternatively, engage both for an even greater burst of speed.

Secondly, they fail differently. MASC failure cripples the 'Mech, while SC failure still allows the 'Mech to continue fighting (or withdraw).

Overall, the Supercharger is a better option, especially on heavier 'Mechs.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Retry
01/04/14 12:12 AM

Battletech superchargers =/= IRL superchargers.
TigerShark
01/04/14 03:39 AM

It really is the best option for a cheap boost to a unit's speed. Far better than MASC, since it doesn't cripple your leg actuators, is less tonnage and less critical space to mount and has a very low tech rating/availability level.

That means that while it's rare ("F"-grade rarity), its complexity is very low (Tech Rating "C"). Any backwater world capable of producing cockpits, repairing an IndustrialMech, etc. can fabricate or repair a Supercharger. Compare that to MASC (Tech Rating "F") and you will notice that only the most advanced (Comstar, Clan, NAIS, etc.) facilities can produce MASC in any sufficient quantity.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3450

Contact Admins Sarna.net