Alpha Strike

Pages: 1
ATN082268
01/08/14 05:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Here is the review I posted on Amazon about Alpha Strike:

"Alpha Strike is essentially a rule set where you can play larger scale Battletech battles by sacrificing detail. There are a lot of factors which determine how long a game will last including, but not limited to, player knowledge of the rules, units used, the battlefield and skill of pilots. The vast majority of my standard Battletech games that use 4 ‘Mechs against 4 ‘Mechs take about 4 hours to play. I use map sheets for the battlefield, so the setup of 4 map sheets or so, the handing out of 8 or so record sheets and getting the miniatures out, takes maybe 15 minutes at most.

I understand that Alpha Strike was meant to speed up game play so that you can use more units than standard Battletech. I really don’t understand the appeal though. O.K. so you can use more units but at the cost of detail. Does that make the game more interesting? And honestly, learning how the standard Battletech rules work isn’t rocket science. Even with Alpha Strike, there are a lot of large scale canon battles in the Battletech universe that would be impractical to play out. My opinion is just to use fewer units with the standard Battletech rules and acknowledge that in most cases, it is just one small section of the battle.

It really depends upon what you are looking for... "
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/08/14 09:31 AM

link?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
01/08/14 01:41 PM

You can fire all weapons on a unit when ever you want. Wiether or not you can survive the side effects are a different matter.
Anyone that doesnt use the alpha strike with units like the shreik needs their head examined.
I think mechforce called the maneuver overburn.

I must be stupid, since the fascination with alpha strike really amazes me. Unless heat is a factor, almost any strike would be an alpha with what can hit at that range. It would be absolutely stupid to fire off small lasers at a range of 10. And if I know right, thats what an alpha strike does. Fire everything at once.
CrayModerator
01/08/14 06:23 PM

Alpha Strike is Battle Force's replacement. It uses the same principals as Battle Force to trim individual units' details to allow faster, larger-scale play.

In addition, Alpha Strike is meant to appeal to new players who are coming in from other low-detail wargames like WH40K and other miniature wargames. Compared to them, classic BT has an extreme amount of detail and is relatively slow to play. Slow play and excessive detail been a frequent complaint of new players.

If you're happy with classic BattleTech and its high detail, then Alpha Strike isn't for you. If you never used Battle Force or wanted to accelerate really large battles, then Alpha Strike isn't for you. No biggie, classic BattleTech is still around.

Edited by Cray (01/08/14 06:28 PM)
CrayModerator
01/08/14 06:24 PM

Quote:
You can fire all weapons on a unit when ever you want. Wiether or not you can survive the side effects are a different matter.
Anyone that doesnt use the alpha strike with units like the shreik needs their head examined.
I think mechforce called the maneuver overburn.

I must be stupid, since the fascination with alpha strike really amazes me. Unless heat is a factor, almost any strike would be an alpha with what can hit at that range. It would be absolutely stupid to fire off small lasers at a range of 10. And if I know right, thats what an alpha strike does. Fire everything at once.

ATN is referring to the new BT publication, "Alpha Strike," the successor to the old Battle Force.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4562

Contact Admins Sarna.net