MechWarrior personal weapons

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LAMdriver
03/18/11 01:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Have to agree with Donkey on the Heavy weapons in the cockpit of a mech.

My personal favorites to use with my mechwarrior is a Autorifle with an underbarrel grenade laucher. Bullets are easier to find unless you get really particular in the role playing aspect. The grenade laucher is a pretty functional anti-personel weapon, and can lay down some serious advantages like smoke, willey-pete, gas, and other submuntions that you might need.

For a pistol type, I like the run of the mill Magnum Auto pistol. I also pack a hold out laser for the formal settings. I also pack a Flamer pistol as a distractionary weapon. Has come in handy plenty of times.

I also have a commando fighting knife strapped to my lower left leg for the silent kills.

Don't like sub-guns, but can not deny there effectiveness.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Christopher_Perkins
03/18/11 02:31 PM

The Full model SternnsNacht "Claymore" would be best then.

The Zeus Heavy Rifle 8 kg (loaded) or Light Support Weapons like the Light SRM 10 kg (loaded) would be problematic, but workable, taking up the same amount of space as a Rifle or SMG with underslung Grenade launchers.
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (03/18/11 02:33 PM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/18/11 04:37 PM

Mass and area are not the same. Just because two things have the same or close mass that does not mean that they take up the same amount of area.

SRMs are a lot bigger than a field rifle.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
LAMdriver
03/22/11 03:32 AM

I see a SRM as something like the modern day Dragoon or Javilen missle launcher. Those are honkin huge weapon systems.

If the missle launcher was the size of a LAW or maybe a RPG, then it should not be a problem to stow it in a cockpit provided it was broken down and stowed correctly (warheads in a carrier and sighting device off the laucher in the case of a RPG.)

The Zeus rifle, if it looks like a Barrett .50 caliber, would be a huge field rifle and would have to be broken down.

The Autorifle I am thinking of would be like a AK-47, M4, XM8, G36, or one of today's assualt rifles with a collaspable or folding stock which can be stored with little or no effort.

My Mechwarrior that I play usually has a rucksack full of goodies just in case I have to bail out of the Mech. The ruck is attached to the ejection seat in shatter-proof container or stowed it the storage compartments if the Mech is equipped with a full ejection head.
" The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make some other bastard die for his!"--Patton

""War is Hell. Combat is a motherfucker."---General Tommy Franks
Christopher_Perkins
03/22/11 12:13 PM

the Heavy SRM is the Mech SRM equivelent weapon that is close to the Dragon/TOW... 10 KG for the missile, 10 KG for the Launcher (20 kg total), there is a 30 KG 2 tube model (both models 2 damage per missile)

Streak (Heavy) SRM tubes woudl be similar to the Javelin and the mech mounted Streak SRM

The Light SRM is similar to a 2 tube LAW, 10 kg. this is the one that the Lady in steiner uniform is holding, i think in front of a union in the Mechwarrior 1st edition artwork. (1 damage per missile)

The light SRM is probably as long as an assault rifle, but wider... reloadable, but i do not think that reloads are something that a MW would be able to stuff in the seats storage compartment... (unless there were arming pins...)
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield

Edited by Christopher_Perkins (03/22/11 12:14 PM)
10/03/11 03:14 AM

Morgue diving again.

Quote:

My Mechwarrior that I play usually has a rucksack full of goodies just in case I have to bail out of the Mech. The ruck is attached to the ejection seat in shatter-proof container or stowed it the storage compartments if the Mech is equipped with a full ejection head.

This might be something that Cray could answer. A mech's ejection system, does it eject just the mechwarriors command seat or is it the entire cockpit?

If it is just the command seat there is little space to store much of anything weapons or survival gear. If it is the entire cockpit not only would the mechwarrior have a good amount of supplies but could use the cockpit its self as a survival tool if the pilot is in a place that has severe weather.

One thing that would be avoided to have in the cockpit by mechwarriors is anything that is explosive like rockets, missiles or grenades even if there is room for them. It's bad enough having live ammo that could go off and ricochet around the cockpit but anything that is explosive would be quite fatal within the tiny confines of a cockpit.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
10/03/11 10:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This might be something that Cray could answer. A mech's ejection system, does it eject just the mechwarriors command seat or is it the entire cockpit?

The vast majority of 'Mechs only eject a seat. "Full head ejection" is a rare but known feature on some 'Mechs. The Hatchetman was the first example, and I think there's less than half-a-dozen designs with full-head ejection as of 3085.

Quote:

If it is just the command seat there is little space to store much of anything weapons or survival gear.

Fighter aircraft ejection seats typically include a survival kit with a fair amount of gear.
http://www.lifesupportintl.com/products/ACES_II_Ejection_Seat_Survival_Kit_SSK_Upgrade-1596-77.html
http://www.ejectionsite.com/seatkit.htm
http://www.ejectionsite.com/ejctpic/survivallg.jpg

Quote:

One thing that would be avoided to have in the cockpit by mechwarriors is anything that is explosive like rockets, missiles or grenades even if there is room for them. It's bad enough having live ammo that could go off and ricochet around the cockpit but anything that is explosive would be quite fatal within the tiny confines of a cockpit.

Do note that the ejection seat already includes a sizable solid rocket motor, if not additional pyrotechnics. The modern ACES II Ejection Seat includes:

A 10-kilogram rocket motor (not all rocket fuel by weight, obviously, but still 1/6th of the seat's full mass);
A parachute-deploying mortar;
Two thermal batteries (which have internal temperatures of 750-1300F when ignited);
A stabilizer rocket to help with off-center pilots in the seats;
A high pressure oxygen tank (if you've never seen a SCUBA tank blow up, you need to Google that up now - those things are bombs)
Plus a bunch of little pyrotechnic toys for various operations.
http://www.ejectionsite.com/acesiitech.htm

Adding a firearm with bullets or some grenades isn't a large additional risk since the MechWarrior is probably already sitting on a rocket motor. Taking the time to put the weaponry in a fire-resistant cover (e.g., Nomex backpack) will leave the weapons safer than the MechWarrior.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
10/03/11 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If it is just the command seat there is little space to store much of anything weapons or survival gear.

Fighter aircraft ejection seats typically include a survival kit with a fair amount of gear.

If you look at the photo that gear does not take up all that much space. By the look of the kit it looks like it sits under the pilot and to get to the kit with out ejection requires the removal of the seat first. I doubt that there is any extra space in that kit or where the kit is placed to add anything extra the pilot might want to carry.

Having extra equipment hanging onto the seat that the seat was not designed to have might prevent the seat from working as it was intended. For example having a rifle hanging from the seat could catch on something when the seat is clearing the cockpit or that rifle could get tangled in the parachute during deployment when the pilot separates from the command seat.

Quote:

Quote:

Do note that the ejection seat already includes a sizable solid rocket motor, if not additional pyrotechnics. The modern ACES II Ejection Seat includes:

A 10-kilogram rocket motor (not all rocket fuel by weight, obviously, but still 1/6th of the seat's full mass);
A parachute-deploying mortar;
Two thermal batteries (which have internal temperatures of 750-1300F when ignited);
A stabilizer rocket to help with off-center pilots in the seats;
A high pressure oxygen tank (if you've never seen a SCUBA tank blow up, you need to Google that up now - those things are bombs)
Plus a bunch of little pyrotechnic toys for various operations.
http://www.ejectionsite.com/acesiitech.htm

Adding a firearm with bullets or some grenades isn't a large additional risk since the MechWarrior is probably already sitting on a rocket motor. Taking the time to put the weaponry in a fire-resistant cover (e.g., Nomex backpack) will leave the weapons safer than the MechWarrior.

I disagree.

First, the ejection seat is designed to be in highly dangerous situations and has safeties to prevent it from going off accidentally where weapons do not have any safe guards other than the standards they normally come with from the manufacturer.

Second, a pilot would not add additional ricks to the ones that they already face.

From photos of fighter pilots the only weapon that I have seen them carry is one pistol with some extra clips.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
10/03/11 07:16 PM

Quote:

First, the ejection seat is designed to be in highly dangerous situations and has safeties to prevent it from going off accidentally where weapons do not have any safe guards other than the standards they normally come with from the manufacturer.

I have contributed to ejection seat design and provided fire safety modifications to sensitive items in my career.

Yes, sticking a container on the outside of an ejection seat is bad practice. It is, however, trivial to include incredible fire protection to an item like a grenade, and existing ejection seats can have substantial equipment lockers - enough for a collapsed rifle and some grenades, if desired.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
05/23/12 11:37 AM

I guess I just love zombies because once again I was caught morgue diving.

Because MW3 has subdivided weapons into more categories I will need to change my weapons that I carry.

Zeus Heavy rifle
It has good range and hitting power. This would be my long range weapon. I'm a mech warrior not a infinity sniper. I don't need ultra long range weapons.

It would be loaded with armor piercing ammo. That has a kinda sorta chance of penetrating the lighter suits of battle armor and will go through any lesser body armor. I would have extra clips of armor piercing and explosive ammo.

It has a scope and laser sight

Nakjma laser pistol
The range is OK. The damage is on the light side for laser pistols. But I like it because with a high capacity power clip you have 30 shots before needing to put in a fresh power clip. Nothing is worse than running out of ammo before the fight is over.

I carry two extra clips.

It has a laser sight

Revolver
This would be the weapon that I would fall back on when my target was under 20 meters. It does double the damage than the Nakjma laser pistol.

It would be loaded with explosive ammo.

It has a laser sight

Hold-out laser pistol
I have quite a few of these hidden around my body. About the only thing I like about these are that there tiny and easily hidden on ones self. I always carry at least two, one in each boot.

Boigie knife
I carry this more for show and keep others out of range than to really use in a fight. I like to bring a gun to a knife fight.

All lasers are equipped with high capacity power clip of the size of clip used.

I am a mech warrior not a ground ponder I am not sure that I would have my support weapon skill high enough to really carry a more powerful weapon system than a rifle.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
05/23/12 11:44 AM

I find one thing odd when it comes to burst fire for lasers.

Lasers don't create a recoil because there is no physical object leaving the barrel. So why do they have a second number on there recoil rating?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
02/04/14 01:28 AM

Bump.

Just for the heck of it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
02/04/14 03:03 AM

It has like the xbox controllers. They vibrate to let you know its firing so you don't do something stupid like look down the barrel and fire?
I agree that it is no logical to have recoil on a weapon that does not propel mass out of the barrel.
11/15/17 09:27 AM

Someone really should do something about all of that morgue diving to jump topics to the top of the list.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 29888

Contact Admins Sarna.net