Adding images from MWO

Pages: 1
RL_Nice
02/23/14 07:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I know MechWarrior Online is canonically apocryphal, but I couldn't find anything in the images policy against posting apocryphal images so long as they're official.

I've been thinking of adding artwork from the game to their respective BattleMechs' pages. I'm not sure if there'll be any issues with that, and since I'm new to editing this wiki, I'd like to run it by this board before I do anything.
FrabbyModerator
02/24/14 05:55 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
First off, welcome to Sarna!

And thanks for asking. It's great to see that people actually read the policies. And you're right, there are technically no limits as to what may be uploaded - canonical, apocryphal or entirely non-canonical or OOC images are all fine if they meet the sole criterion: They must be relevant to an article.

"Sarna.net BTW is not an image repository", as someone put it, and we don't want images uploaded just because they are pretty pictures. (That would typically also be a copyright problem, as we're heavily reliant on the Fair Use doctrine and just wanting something does not constitute fair use.)

So it boils down to whether or not the images you propose to upload are relevant.

I think they are. Many 'Mechs have galleries showing various renditions of the 'Mech in question, and their MWO appearance should be there, too. For Hero 'Mechs, the MWO appearance is the only depiction we have, so their image could be inserted into the Variants section when discussing the apocryphal Hero variant.

What's more, MWO may be apocryphal as a whole, but on the other hand it has a very big following and is a premier advertising venue for BattleTech as a whole. Catering to the MWO fans is something we should positively try to do, without becoming an MWO wiki. (There is already one anyways.)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4825

Contact Admins Sarna.net