vtols

Pages: 1
ghostrider
03/01/14 08:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is there a limit on how high one can fly?

The question crossed my mind on why a vtol can't just gain altitude to fly over or away from any problems, instead of having to fly in weapons range ground level set up?
Don't want to deal with a patrol, fly over them. Bomb factories from out of weapons range by kinetic forces, ie gravity.

With them adding the enhance ability to take damage to the rotors, I would say the vtol would be the best thing to use in any fight now. You don't have to touch the ground ever.

Carry any weapons or equipment, while being able to pick up and drop off where you want.
You could deploy from a dropship that doesn't have to touch down, as well as load into one as well.
Retry
03/01/14 08:22 PM

Check out my Mirage VTOL to see what could possibly be one of the best high-tier designs for a ground-attack helicopter that one could have access to.
ghostrider
03/01/14 08:32 PM

I know there are good designs for them, but would like to have the questions answered, especially the first one.
Retry
03/01/14 08:37 PM

1.On the ground map, technically no, but it doesn't effect your range for some really odd reason.(Also odd:AAA units like partisans still suffer from the fact it can't fire at 0 range rule where it can't fire at anything on the same hex, which while making some sense against infantry does less so against high flying VTOLs, assuming the platform is capable of firing upwards 90*)

2.Same, technical rule limitation.

I don't think the VTOL can get on the high altitude maps at all whatsoever.
ghostrider
03/01/14 08:47 PM

An lrm has a range of 21 hexes. That like 630 meters.
A kilometer is 1000 meters, but it is less the a mile, but more then half a mile.
Shooting one straight up, you are saying a vtol can not fly higher them the lrm can?
This defies the logic of combat choppers today.

And if it can't shoot straight up, then it wouldn't be able to go even that high.

Now as for not being able to fire in your own hex, I can see infantry hiding beneath the range of the turret, but not a 30 foot mech. But there are circumstance that can change that, ie grabbing the barrals and holding them apart.
Retry
03/01/14 08:50 PM

I'm saying that under normal rules, a VTOL's elevation has no effect on the range in hexes a weapon needs to have.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/01/14 08:58 PM

I believe that has been updated in the newer rule books, your VTAL altitude counts as range. I could be wrong.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/01/14 08:58 PM

You can make it a house rule
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/01/14 08:59 PM

I hope so, that'd be nice.
ghostrider
03/01/14 08:59 PM

Hmmm. They don't change range for atittude differences. That means that a unit hovering at level 10 at 3 hexes away, could still be shot down by an mg. Yet if you were to be straight away from it, you would be out of range.

I know you did not come up with this retry, so don't take the sarcasm personally.
It is completely stupid logic. So a bullet will fly further is the target is at max range, but high in the air.
I know trying to keep the game simple and flowing good, but some things should be taken into account.
Karagin
03/01/14 09:59 PM

They did try to take height and such into consideration and had rules for it in the Tactical Handbook, but alas that book was so badly criticized..
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
csadn
03/02/14 04:14 AM

Real-World: The absolute altitude record for rotary-wing aircraft is 12,442 meters (40,820') -- and higher altitude may have been possible, but for the (jet-turbine) engines flaming out [Fusion VTOL, anyone?]. (BTW, this also led to the world record for Longest Successful Autorotation.... ) Convert that into altitude levels, and you have a rough idea of how high a VTOL can fly.

As to the "range at different altitude" problem: At a 45-degree angle (or, phrased another way: When Horizontal distance and vertical distance are equal), the increase in effective distance is ~x1.4 (calculate a^2 + b^2 = c^2 where a and b both equal 1). Since I can't provide a graphic illustrating exact values, figuring exact values for "how many altitude levels equals a hex" would require more math than I'm willing to subject you to.

Personally, I just add 1 to range for every level difference -- so, for ex., a _Rifleman_ doing its assigned AA job could fire its ACs at a target which was at the same level 18 hexes away, or in the same hex 18 levels above, or some combo thereof. Of course, the VTOL would have the same problem shooting back; and let's not forget it takes time for a bomb to fall from an altitude, so the target might not be there when it arrives....
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
CrayModerator
03/02/14 02:15 PM

Quote:
Is there a limit on how high one can fly?

They're not allowed onto the high altitude map, so they're limited to 18,000 meters. See the low altitude movement rules of Total Warfare to see how that translates into range for weapons.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6764

Contact Admins Sarna.net