AC80 Assault Suit

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Retry
03/07/14 11:59 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The AC/80 is an alternate faction's assault battlesuit intended to be "the ultimate frontline vee-mobile battlesuit". Though you need pretty substantial transport bays to get them to the front, when you can they have a tendancy to clear it of enemy battle armor. Their ER Medium Pulse Laser "Buzzsaw" is the staple of the design, being one of the most powerful BA weapons in existance. 16 points of reflective armor is near the maximum possible for such a design, and makes them incredibly resistant to laser fire from other sources.

Three AP weapons mount also lets them tackle conventional infantry with ease, and sometimes it can destroy other BA with only their AP weapons too... but this depends on the weapon in question mounted.

They are slow and best used as if they were conventional foot platoons.

AC80 Assault Suit
Clan experimental
BV: 881
Cost: 5,257,000 C-bills
Source: Crossroads

Movement: 1/1

Internal: 5
Armor: 80 BA Reflective
Internal Armor
Trooper 1 1 16
Trooper 2 1 16
Trooper 3 1 16
Trooper 4 1 16
Trooper 5 1 16

Weapons Loc Heat
ER Medium Pulse Laser (Right arm) Point 6
Infantry Clan Mauser IIC Inferno (APM) Point 0

Equipment Loc
Basic Manipulator (Right arm) Point
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Body) Point
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Left arm) Point
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Body) Point
Basic Manipulator (Left arm) Point
ghostrider
03/08/14 12:21 AM

what is this?
A vehicle or a power suit?
Retry
03/08/14 11:37 AM

battlearmor...
Karagin
03/08/14 07:30 PM

Yeah Retry, can you please use another design program that actually tells us what the unit is you are posting and list ALL the things needed for said unit.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/08/14 08:40 PM

I have to agree with Karagin this time. I had no clue what this was either
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/08/14 08:45 PM

Well, it's battle armor.
ghostrider
03/08/14 11:37 PM

It is a single suit?
No wonder the enemy has issues trying to fight.
You have 5 troopers together with more firepower and armor then a light mech dreams of, then I guess they split into their components once the main armor is gone?
Using this is actually adding more mechs in to the fray, and I would guess they get the infantry bonus of being spread out and you can only kill one at a time.
Retry
03/08/14 11:39 PM

It's 5 suits. They come in squads of 5. That way you can fit them easily into a 10 ton bay.
ghostrider
03/08/14 11:42 PM

might have been better to list one suit instead of the unit.
I believe this is a point of elementals.
Retry
03/08/14 11:44 PM

I think it's done this way in case one of the suits has a squad support weapons mount(not in this case though)
Retry
03/09/14 01:55 AM

Anyways it is a kind of mech killer unit.
ghostrider
03/09/14 03:06 AM

Time to show why this route for infantry will destroy the game.
1st. This unit has 5 tons of armor on it. Unlike any mechs, they have no internal structure. They have no criticals that can remove things from the game like movement or weapons. NO engine to hit. No ammo to hit. They are pure armor.

2. They do not make any sort of consciouness rolls when hit. They get bounced around constanty, but no roll. A mech pilot has to roll when the head is hit by even a machine gun, possibly knocking them out.

3. This particular armor can not be stopped by a single gauss rifle hit. Any light mech would probably lose a limb from one, but not the suit.

4. Extra damage done to the armor does not transfer like a mech does. That means if they have one point left and you slam it with an ac 20, you do only 1 point and the rest is wasted.

5. They have more firepower then some of the light mechs, as well as protomechs.

6. They do not build heat when firing energy weapons. They do not worry about venting heat either.

7. They can enter buildings and use that to lessen or stop damage from being done to them depending on the building construction.

In general, they have all the advantages of infantry, and mechs, but non of the disadvantages except speed, but that is only the current design. I'm sure they can move faster then some of the mechs and vehicles they fight with more speed, like elementals.
It this continues, mechs will no longer be the top, but battle armor will.
Karagin
03/09/14 03:08 AM

What he built is more akin to Protomechs not battlearmor
Karagin

Retry
03/09/14 03:10 AM

Then you hit it with a Long Tom by tagging the hex it happens to be in.

And that is why it won't ruin the game.

ghostrider
03/09/14 03:10 AM

No disadvantages of a protomech.
And reflective armor? Most mechs use lasers for some damage.
Karagin
03/09/14 03:12 AM

Retry can you come back to reality of the game, the average player is not going to use Long Tom artillery.
Karagin

ghostrider
03/09/14 03:15 AM

hit it with a long tom? So how long does it take to target the hex?
How long in flight time?
And it is possible only one of the armor is destroyed by the artillery. The rest are likely to survive.

Now let's talk your tactics of using a regiment of them.
Retry
03/09/14 03:16 AM

The average player won't use ammo carriers either.

My group uses arty. Arty is a reality of the game.

Anyways, this has to be attached to units with 10 tons of cargo or omnis, it is painfully slow.
ghostrider
03/09/14 03:19 AM

I would suspect you can put jump packs on them like dropping non jetted mechs. Drop them on the target or in a city.

Barring that, hover apcs are nice to move them.

This is only the begining of the problems.

Air drops of ammo is very possible for the units. So is the hover idea again.

That is not even talking about the use of the weapons. Range, damage, nothing.
Retry
03/09/14 03:24 AM

Then destroying the hovers will slow the BA to a crawl.
ghostrider
03/09/14 03:27 AM

Even with your love of pulse lasers, that will not be enough. And that does nothing to stop a halo drop into the middle of a city. And this is IF you know they are coming.
Infiltration is a nasty thing.

As you said. Ride mechs. Hell, just have some decoys running around while the infantry advances while everyone is distracted.

I can see the game designers making the mistake of allowing this to happen. Hell, if the stuff you are using is canon, they already have.
Retry
03/09/14 03:33 AM

Well, they would be good at area denial.

Hmm...

I guess the Kopis is an IS assault that duel wields IS MLs. For an iS design it is similar to this, yet not game breaking.
ghostrider
03/09/14 03:43 AM

Now bump that up a little and use hardened armor on them. Survive a long tom shot.

That's also not saying about using stealth armor. Maybe a heavy weapons team with a tag from a hardened building, or maybe using an infantry gauss rifle.
I don't see why battle armor couldn't have a man portable ppc pack on them, or lrm packs. Any infantry weapon can be fitted on them.

And maybe if you put jets on them like elementals do, that would increase their movement dramatically.
Why not make a partial wing for the armor? Really make them move.
You want devious? Use savanha masters or something like that to move the unit. Each has their own transport. Now try and stop the rush.
ghostrider
03/09/14 03:50 AM

what happens to the armor when they go tumbling out of a 200 khp vehicle?
They get back up and continue on like they just got out of bed.

And there has not been an answer of the halo drops, or even vtol transport drops.
Retry
03/09/14 03:52 AM

BA can't use hardened I don't believe. And I'd it did it wouldn't have the tonnage to keep the weapon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think a splash hit from arty deals full damage to each and every BA unit in the squad.

The man portable PPCs are lighter but inferior to the primary weapon.

BA can use LRM packs.
Retry
03/09/14 03:54 AM

Idk much about halo or VTOL drops.
ghostrider
03/09/14 03:57 AM

I don't know if they changed the rules for arty. Issue is hitting them to begin with.
And that is IF there is arty to use.
I would send a strafe against any arty found.

But I believe you can see why this road is a dangerous one for the designers to go on. Making suits that you could use to assassinate one of the leaders of the innersphere states could very well come from this. They are supposed to have sneak suits.

Depending on the weight of battle armor, I am sure you could find a way to use hardened. It isn't like you can slow it down anymore.

And as I said, there is nothing from stopping people making personal transports for battle armor. Once you kill the transport, now you have to kill the armor itself.
Retry
03/09/14 04:01 AM

Sure, but you must realize this is one of the highest tiers of BA development. As in, it's weaponry won't be getting better, neither will armor.
ghostrider
03/09/14 04:07 AM

Be honest, retry.
Do you think they will not come up with something new and improved a year or so down the line?
They did it with the battle armor to begin with.
Then they came out with all this other crap to add onto it.
The elemental armor had a small laser on it, as well as 4 srms. Now they have more armor, different types of armor, more and better weapons.

Same thing with the mechs. How long will it be, before they decide to put in something that partially cloaks a unit. Oh wait. isn't that the ews systems?
Retry
03/09/14 04:09 AM

Let me rephrase.

It consists of the best weaponry and armor a BA could hope for up to 3145.

Plus mechs and vees will improve as well, along with BA.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 11757

Contact Admins Sarna.net