BM2 Duster A1

Pages: 1
Retry
03/16/14 05:35 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The 2nd U.S. battlemech design was one designed as an all-terrain anti-aircraft weapons platform. While slow, it's armament of two SBGRs were often enough to take out german conventional fighters in one salvo, including BF109s, FW190s, and sometimes Me410s. It started production at very early 1945 after some of the secrets of Japan's jungle based mechs and Germany's GehenPanzers were captured and reversed engineered. Unfortunately the U.S. 1st generation battlemechs, including the Duster, were outclassed by the axis designs thanks to the lack of double heatsinks. The Duster in particular could eventually be flamed out by daring attacks by axis tank lances carrying flamers or infernos.

BM2 Duster A1
IS TW non-box set
85 tons
BV: 1,851
Cost: 8,833,935 C-bills
Source: U.S.

Movement: 3/5
Engine: 255
Heat Sinks: 10
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 130
Armor: 263/263 (Heavy Ferro-Fibrous)
Internal Armor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 27 41
Center Torso (rear) 13
Right Torso 18 27
Right Torso (rear) 9
Left Torso 18 27
Left Torso (rear) 9
Right Arm 14 28
Left Arm 14 28
Right Leg 18 36
Left Leg 18 36

Weapons Loc Heat
Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle LT 1
Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle RT 1
Medium Pulse Laser CT 4
Medium Pulse Laser HD 4

Ammo Loc Shots
Silver Bullet Gauss Ammo LT 8
Silver Bullet Gauss Ammo RT 8

Equipment Loc
CASE II LT
CASE II RT
Karagin
03/16/14 05:46 PM

You are aware that the SB Gauss was built for anti-infantry/BA use right not Triple A fire?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
03/16/14 05:49 PM

Light Anti-Aircraft.

It works very well in the anti-aircraft role. Better than LB-X ACs.
Karagin
03/16/14 05:55 PM

If you say so...
Karagin

Retry
03/16/14 05:56 PM

It really is.(If you can afford the weight that is)
Retry
03/16/14 07:17 PM

Where in the World Wide Web does it say the SBGR was built for anti-infantry? The closest I've seen to suggest that is it's design as a LB X gauss rifle.
Karagin
03/16/14 10:06 PM

Unbound Sourcebook/Mechwarrior Adventure talks about being made for use against Battlearmor.
Karagin

Retry
03/16/14 10:12 PM

The way I have heard it is that the weapon was an attempt to bring LB-X functionalities to gauss rifles and nothing more...

Anyways, alternate timeline, so a bit irrelevant. Anything on the actual mech?
Karagin
03/16/14 10:52 PM

Actually no it is relevant since you are trying to use the weapon for a different function, which is fine, but should be reflected in the fluff.

Also I would suggest you check out the game called GearKrieg by Dream Pod 9, similar things you are doing they have done.
Karagin

Retry
03/16/14 11:11 PM

It functions like a LB-X gauss rifle. It gains the same flak bonuses against aircraft as LB X weapons making it ideal for AA weapons.

"R&D Start Date: 3050 (Federated Commonwealth)
Prototype design and Production: 3051 (Federated Commonwealth)
The NAIS, hoping to combine the cluster effect of the LB-X class autocannon with the heavy punch, low-heat, and substantial range of Gauss rifle, initially attempted to develop a Gauss Rifle capable of delivering alternative "splintering" slug types. Unfortunately, the project was too starved for funds to develop consistently effective flexible ammo-feed mechanisms for the standard Gauss Rifle. Nor were efforts ever completed to adapt pre-fragmented rounds to a conventional Gauss Rifle’s barrel or ammo feed. But while this approach met the solicitation requirements to duplicate the LB-X class cluster munitions, the over-specialized Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle and its ammunition proved unattractive to the AFFC, and the project was scrapped. "

That summary doesn't say anything about anti BA, just an attempt to make the weapon like a LB X
Karagin
03/16/14 11:48 PM

As I said Retry the original write up was in Unbound Mechwarrior Scenario book, I didn't say it stayed the same, I said it was intended for use against BA and infantry, which for the time Unbound came out that would make sense given that the Inner Sphere was still learning to deal with the Battlearmor the Clans used.

Oh and by the way the Ammo blows up when hit so you have a lot of it in this mech...I believe you can purchase the Unbound book from CGL.
Karagin

Retry
03/16/14 11:50 PM

Good for it, the Duster is still using it for AA.
Karagin
03/16/14 11:56 PM

Pg 71 Unbound (Print date of 1991) states:

SB (Silver Bullet) Gauss Rifle:

This project is a variant on the Gauss Rifle that projects a burst of shrapnel, rather than a massive slug of nickel ferrous metal. This explosive is PRIMARILY GEARED TOWARD ANTI-ELEMENTAL ATTACKS, but is it also effective against BattleMechs and other vehicles distributing the damage done by a normal Gauss rifle attack to multiple target areas.

That is word for word from the book and the all CAPS part was done by me to show you want I was referring to. Hope that helps you out.
Karagin

Retry
03/16/14 11:57 PM

I see what you refer to.

I also see "primarily", which to me means "not necessarily".
Karagin
03/17/14 12:06 AM

Okay Retry.
Karagin

Retry
03/17/14 12:10 AM

Well, that discussion was rather pointless.
ghostrider
03/17/14 01:39 AM

look at the rifleman for primary. The only thing it is good for in anti air was the fluff of the radar. Otherwise it was a just a mech.

But with this new weapon, as well as others, I think the designer that came up with it needs to leave battletech along and go design robot computer games that you mix and match weapons.
Retry
03/17/14 01:41 AM

I assume the Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle is another advanced technology you could care less about?
ghostrider
03/17/14 01:48 AM

It's another step in the might as well have a naval ppc that targets other mechs step.

No. I am not thrilled with an lbx gauss rifle.
Why bother with large lasers or ppcs when you wont even get in range of them.
Next step is the gyro ammo combine with these so you don't even have to be on the firing arc to hit anything.

And not care less about.
More like doesn't need to be in the game.
Retry
03/17/14 01:56 AM

That's a bit of an overexaggeration.

The SB gauss rifle cannot use solid shell ammo like normal gauss rifles. And, IIRC, their ammo explodes too due to ammo feed problems. Part of the reason why the concept was cancelled, even though it was still very workable.
Regular lasers and PPCs are all but obsolete anyways. The SB gauss changes little to nothing, considering the regular gauss rifle didn't do so... and that weapon always hits in one cluster of 15 points. So I don't see the SB making anything obsolete anytime soon.
Still don't get your third point. Seems like another exaggeration.
ghostrider
03/17/14 02:49 AM

gauss rifles range makes alot of things on the verge of obsolete. Why bother with a lbx cannon when the gauss rifle can be used at further ranges.
Only a close range battle might be an issue.

And I would expect them to start coming out with an ultra model soon. They have it in the movies, why not in battle tech?

The comment of the gyro ammo was supposed to be a little exaggerated. It feels like that is where the game seems to be headed anymore.
Retry
03/17/14 03:22 AM

Making autocannons obsolete? I'd suggest you blame every single other weapon system ever available first. The AC/5 and many of the other autocannon series has been obsolete ever since they were first produced.

The clan LB-5X has similar ranges to the SB for much less tonnage. The LB-2X goes well past the silver bullet. The LB-10 loses out on range, but that's a common occurrence with autocannons compared to many of it's compeitors...(Basically any energy weapon ****s in the face of ACs in one way or another.)
ghostrider
03/17/14 04:01 AM

I blame the designers that made them too heavy, and to low on ammo to be worth much.

Now as for the range, I did not know it was less then a normal gauss. But that would probably change with the next set of rules.
Retry
03/17/14 12:30 PM

No, the range on the SB gauss rifle is equal to the range of the normal gauss.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7571

Contact Admins Sarna.net