Vehical mounted MRM-1

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/09/14 12:06 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Once again Assanine Industries is here for the little guy that wants to show the big boys that they are not someone that can be stepped on with out having something to give back.

MRM-1
Missiles fired per round (1)
Heat (1)
Damage (1)
Range
Min *
Short 1-3
Medium 4-8
Long 9- 15
Tons 1/2
Ammo special (36)

Cost 2,000 C-Bills
Ammo 500 C-Bills

Can not be mounted on battle mechs do to lack of ability to integrate the weapon to a mechs advanced targeting system.

The ammo is internal and no additional magazines can be added.

A critical hit to the weapon is treated as an ammunition hit. All remaining ammo explodes doing standard damage. If there was no ammo left the weapon is destroyed as standard rules.

Since there is only one missile fired there is no roll to see how many missiles hit.

The MRM-1 has the standard +1 to hit that all MRMs have.

Like the Assanine Industries LRM-1 this was meant for ultra light vehicles that don't have the weight for anything bigger. Medium range missiles are so easy to build that even on back water very low tech planets ammunition for this weapon can be manufactured. And since the weapon does not use a great quantity of missiles one does not need a factory of any real size to make enough missiles to keep this weapon system supplied with missiles.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
03/09/14 12:19 PM

Alright, mostly non-MRM1 discussion moved to the SRM 8 thread. The moderator tools are a bit ham-handed in excising bits of a thread so this comes across as almost a clean start.

Anyway, nice system. Sort of a more controllable rocket launcher.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
03/09/14 12:24 PM

You also moved my (1) post that did pertain to the MRM launcher.
CrayModerator
03/09/14 12:55 PM

Quote:
Retry writes:

You also moved my (1) post that did pertain to the MRM launcher.

And I apologize for that. However, like I said, the moderator tools are a bit ham-handed. I went to the root of the topic change, and every post that stemmed from that post was moved.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
03/09/14 01:56 PM

What's funny is that due to the mod tools the new topic you created is off-topic
03/09/14 11:39 PM

Quote:
Anyway, nice system. Sort of a more controllable rocket launcher.

That was the idea. I thought you would understand it. =)
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/09/14 11:42 PM

Still kind of munchy.
03/10/14 03:43 AM

In what possible way can this in any way be munchy?

Munchy is power gaming where one is using every which conceivable way to use every glitch in the game rules to create the most powerful thing that one can get away with. I would love to know how this can be used to over power everything else in the game.

If you would like to have a perfect textbook example of something that is munchy look at your own Nephilidae Mk.I Infantry Support Mech. I don't think that I could think of a better example.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/10/14 09:52 AM

This together with the other two 1s make a stupidly good crit seeker and easy replacement with the MG. Much lighter than the LBX series

And no cluster hits table to boot.
Retry
03/10/14 09:54 AM

I'd like to know, is the Nephilidae useless or munchie? Thus far both have been claimed and both can't be right.
Karagin
03/10/14 09:59 AM

Actually BOTH can be right, for some it's useless due to it's speed and cost, for others its' too munchy cause it uses mixed tech and has NO draw backs to it to counter the exotic tech wonders. YMMV but for myself it's both.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
03/10/14 10:50 AM

Glad to know your groups do not consider speed a drawback apparently.
Retry
03/10/14 10:51 AM

Err lack of.
03/10/14 11:57 AM

Quote:
Retry writes:

I'd like to know, is the Nephilidae useless or munchie? Thus far both have been claimed and both can't be right.

Yes they can because being useless and munchy are not exact opposites so both can be true. Even things that are exact opposites it is possible for both to be true.

I would not call it totally useless persay. In an EXTREMELY limited role it would be of great use because it is totally munchy. Out side that extremely limited role its is completely worthless because of its almost non existing movement ability and a cost that is so outrageous that no one would ever buy one. That is why its both munchy and useless.

Now as for the subject of the MRM-1 it is not munchy because its so under powered it would be of little use to anyone out side ultra light vehicles it was designed to be mounted on.

As for your comparison between the machine gun and the MRM-1.
MRM-1 +1 to hit, MG no mod (in my house rules the MG get a -1 like pulse lasers but that is my house rule so has no affect here)
MRM-1 one point of damage, MG two points of damage
MRM-1 one point of damage to infinity, MG double damage to infinity
MRM-1 can not use targeting computer, MG can use targeting computers
MRM-1 can not use extra ammo bins, MG can use all the ammo bins it wants
The only advantage the MRM-1 has over the MG is range.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/10/14 03:18 PM

If you and Karagin really want to keep on the Nephilidae, bump that thread, don't post here; I shall not answer here.

The MRM can reach much farther than the MG, and you need 1 ton to use a MG(ammo).

Also compare 8 single MRMs to a normal MRM with 1 ton of ammo. Which is where I get the "munchy" from. The 8 of these outclasses the MRM10.

Only thing preventing that is crit space requirement which is admittedly an issue except on swarms of ultralights.
Karagin
03/10/14 07:40 PM

The speed is not a draw back, it's slow, it's an assault mech, got that part. What the issue is, is all that high tech wonder toys and no draw backs other then the slow speed.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/11/14 12:02 AM

The slow speed explains why the game takes so long. Either you spend 30 minute just trying to get in range to fire, or you cut it to one board, which means no manuevering.

I understand donkey trying to do what the designers seem to want to avoid. Having a decent system with some range on a light unit. I would say lighten the ammo some to make it look less like an option for mass use. On a jeep, its fine. On a 30 tonners its not.

I would think if you want to have it so a mech will not perform a physical attack on a vehicle defense, make the damage a little higher, but shorten the range alot. Maybe 3 points of damage but can't fire past the mg ie 3 hexes. Yes it is harsh.
03/16/14 07:08 PM

I like it exactly how it is.

It cant be used on a mech and it uses one weapon space on a vehicle that a larger weapon can be placed. I see no problems with it as it is.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/16/14 07:15 PM

With a hex range of 3 and a damage of 3, it would be called something else. It wouldn't be a MRM anymore.

So what you are saying Karagin is that it is too good? Again if you want to discuss further, bump the required thread.

Okay, REALLY not answering Nephie themed posts on this thread starting now.
ghostrider
03/16/14 09:21 PM

thought pulse was -2, but that isn't a big deal.
No cluster tables? It is like all direct fire weapons besides the lbx. It hits or it misses. Why do you need a cluster table for ONE missile.
But this does bring up a question about an ams and the result of the 1 missile systems.

I like the concept of the 1 missile launchers. It allows small units to atleast threaten the bad boys.

And if you wanna cry crit maker, the lbx is one of the best weapons to scream about. Each shrapnal/piece of flak can possibly cause a crit?
Please, that is really stupid.
Pulse weapons don't do that, even though they are designed to rapid fire.
Ultras don't have a chance with every burst they fire, just 1 or 2 times for the main hits.
And anti infantry rounds don't get a shot either.

Are you going to run this thought with rocket launcher as well, donkey?
Retry
03/16/14 09:35 PM

Your post is a week late.
ghostrider
03/16/14 09:43 PM

is it any less valid?

Should I just respond without any thought?

Or does every post have to have an immediate responce?

Now quit trying the thread jack this one again

I would assume any hit on the weapon will cause the ammo to explode.
Retry
03/16/14 09:44 PM

Well, we have already gone over basically every single one of your arguements at one point or another.
03/16/14 10:06 PM

The -1 was a typo I could not correct it since I was away from the list for the last week and its to late now.

A rocket launcher is a one shot weapon, I see no point in doing anything with it.

As for a crit weapon you have to get past the armor before there is any issue of crits. I have always seen crit weapons as a total wast and pointless because they are useless at creating penetrations in the armor.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
03/16/14 10:07 PM

I did not see one question on if the ams works against this sort of system or not. Or anything that would happen.
I have not seen where anyone has asked why a pulse laser would not allow for the possibility of multiple chances of a crit.
Nor have I seen anyone argue about a burst from an ac or ultra ac being able to do more then one crit check.
Granted it may be in an old thread. I will not say that is not possible.
03/16/14 10:14 PM

I would say if an ams was used the one missile from any of my one shot weapons would be destroyed. Why would one want to wast ones ams ammo on an attack that only does one point of damage is beyond me.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/16/14 10:19 PM

AMS in general seems unimpressive to me. The fact that they only intercept salvos instead of an actual number of missiles only makes smaller missile launchers look more appealing to it's larger often overweight cousins.
ghostrider
03/17/14 01:35 AM

ams is not controlled per se. They fire on missiles shot at the unit it is on. Now you might turn it off to avoid it trying to do the job.

Most don't bother with turning things on and off in a battle. Could be the 1 missile is the only one that hits in a round.

And the original ams used to shot down missiles them selves, not parts of a volley. You could avoid the missile attack if you destroyed enough missiles.
ghostrider
03/18/14 12:03 AM

with the missle 1 launcher, could you mount different types on one vehicle?

Like use an lrm 1 on a vehicle with an mrm 1?
03/18/14 07:14 AM

I don't see why not other than on ultra light vehicles you have very limited amount of space for equipment and the more you add the heavier the vehicle becomes.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10132

Contact Admins Sarna.net