Random rant against Microsoft...

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
03/30/14 01:27 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Non-Canadians may not be aware, but every laptop sold in Canada is required to have the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard as default (which, by the way, is not "standard" anywhere except possibly the province of Quebec). Yet Microsoft still refuses to include a proper Canadian English spell-checker with any of their products. That's right, I can use windows or office in Swahili, but not Canadian English.

I'm awash in a sea of red squiggles as I type about armour, neighbours, colour, cheques, catalogues, and many other things.

Yeah, it irks me...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
BobTheZombieModerator
03/30/14 02:00 AM

I though that there was a "british" option for that but I dunno. Yeah, that is really dumb....
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
KamikazeJohnson
03/30/14 02:05 AM

Quote:
BobTheZombie writes:

I though that there was a "british" option for that but I dunno. Yeah, that is really dumb....

There is, although there are a few variations between British and Canadian English, most notably all the words we borrowed from French, the inevitable English/French hybrid mishmash words, and the words borrowed from the various Aboriginal languages. Some applications do, in fact, have a "Canadian English" option, but the spell checker still gets it wrong most of the time...I think the dictionary merely adds some "extra" words without correcting the ones that are spelled differently.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
03/30/14 02:17 AM

Small niche markets is not a MS strong point.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
03/30/14 02:33 AM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

Small niche markets is not a MS strong point.

Although if you look at the languages supported by MS products, many of them are smaller populations than Canada. I guess they figure that because it's "English", it's "close enough" for us Canadians and our funny spelling.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
03/30/14 04:02 AM

a small niche is anything that bill gates isn't using at the time.

Windows is the highest selling unfinished piece of software sold in the world today.
Once they get close to making it work right, they stop supporting it, and force you to upgrade to a new one that does not support your older software.
CrayModerator
03/30/14 09:46 AM

Quote:
KamikazeJohnson writes:

Although if you look at the languages supported by MS products, many of them are smaller populations than Canada. I guess they figure that because it's "English", it's "close enough" for us Canadians and our funny spelling.

Silly Canadians. Look, it's time you just gave up and joined the US. Microsoft is already doing its subtle part of Operation Canuck Seduction to transition you into 'Merikan (spelling) ways. You know you get a free gun with each American membership, right?

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
BobTheZombieModerator
03/30/14 10:14 AM

Quote:
KamikazeJohnson writes:

Quote:
BobTheZombie writes:

There is, although there are a few variations between British and Canadian English, most notably all the words we borrowed from French, the inevitable English/French hybrid mishmash words, and the words borrowed from the various Aboriginal languages. Some applications do, in fact, have a "Canadian English" option, but the spell checker still gets it wrong most of the time...I think the dictionary merely adds some "extra" words without correcting the ones that are spelled differently.

Please excuse my ignorance, I didn't think of there being a difference. Sorry. But I agree with Cray: ONE OF US, ONE OF US!
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4652

Contact Admins Sarna.net