Armor IS/Armor 60 3.25t

Front 8/24
LT/RT 8/11
Back 8/6

Weapons/ammo placement weight
Long Tom front 30t
Long Tom ammo (50) body 10t

Cost 2,097,975 C-Bills

Assinine Industrys needed some self propelled artillery for defense of their various plants and the major cities. As with everything else why pay someone else for something you can build your self.

This was the prototype. The lightest non fusion engine that could be built was a fuel cell engine so that is what the SPAP was built around. Very few where built before the raid in force by the Federated Suns hit the planet. During the conflict it became quite clear that supplying the guns with fuel was quite impractical. So this design fell by the way side.

There is nothing fancy about this vehicle its an artillery gun that has a little armor to protect it from shell fragments from anti battery fire.

[I learned something new when I was looking for some correct spelling. There is a big **** difference between “shell fragments” and "shrapnel". Shell fragments is the casing around a high explosive charge where shrapnel is the payload of the shell aka basically ball bearings that are fired towards the ground from an artillery shell like a REALLY big shotgun and not the casing around the shell. I am not all that knowledgeable about the laws of engagement in war but I would think that shrapnel shells are against the Geneva Convention.]

To replace the old artillery tank was built a ICE tank.

ICE Self propelled Long Tom artillery piece

tech Inner Sphere post 3050
tank weight 75
chassis type track
engine 225 ICE 20t
cruse speed 3
Flank speed 5
control 3.75t
IS 7.5t

Armor IS/Armor 60 3.75t

Front 8/28
LT/RT 8/13
Back 8/6

Weapons/ammo placement weight
Long Tom front 30t
Long Tom ammo (50) body 10t

Cost 1,717,188 C-Bills

The chassis had to be replaced by one that could support ten more tons. Other than the new engine and an additional half ton of armor there is little difference between how the two SPAPs function in battle

With the change to standard fuel the SPAP has no problem going anywhere on the planet since it can fuel up at any cities fuel center.

When the new SPAP was being mass manufactured it was found that it ended up being about 18% cheaper despite being a heaver vehicle.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/31/14 11:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Simple and effective design. The 1st one could even remain useful at advanced armies if a fusion vee is available to refuel the FCE. Both are a bit thin and very vulnerable to convfighters though.
Reiter
03/31/14 12:17 PM

From Wikipedia

Quote:
Replacement by high-explosive shell

With the advent of relatively insensitive high explosives which could be used as the filling for shells, it was found that the casing of a properly designed high explosive shell fragmented effectively. For example, the detonation of an average 105 mm shell produces several thousand high velocity (1,000 to 1,500 m/s) fragments, a lethal (at very close range) blast overpressure and, if a surface or sub-surface burst, a useful cratering and anti-materiel effect — all in a munition much less complex than the later versions of the shrapnel shell. However, this fragmentation was often lost when shells penetrated soft ground and because some fragments went in all directions it was a hazard to assaulting troops.

It was phased out, high explosive shells are easier to produce since the body of shell works just as well as a canister packed with steel balls. Probably more cost effective, since given the volume of the interior you can use smaller shells over all with the same effect if the interior is full of explosive. They are still used in modern tanks, but sparingly while very effective.

And no rule against using them, you are talking about guys attacking trying to kill you. Its you or them first...so you might have to result to the best weapon possible to stop them and using a breach loading musket in modern warfare would be the worst option to choose. Its against the rules to fire it on unarmed citizens (say they are protesting and their same nation opens fire), not troops holding ground you want to occupy (in this case, two completely different nations where the ground in question is of vital importance).

Not an expert in international law and no personal experience with firearms outside some shooting rifles/shotguns for fun but....a weapon kill you regardless of how its used so long as its pointed at someone, its why its used and with what intent that causes that raises the questions.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/31/14 01:03 PM

The problem with shrapnel was not production or size but getting the shells to detonate at the proper high to do maximum spread and still be lethal. They where phased out after WW1 it was not until the latter part of WW2 that technology advanced to the point that thy would be affective but by that point battle tactics changed where men where not packed together in tight formations where shrapnel shells would be as affective. Also its not affective against vehicles where shell fragments could be.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
12/16/16 03:23 AM

After being gone for a good part of a year I decided to be a royal pain in the donkey by bringing up my old posts from the morgue and set loss some old post zombies. *Evil braying!!!*

I will see you again in another year or so

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4908

Contact Admins Sarna.net