battle armor

Pages: 1
ghostrider
03/21/14 12:00 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Is there somewhere official that they explain how battle armor works?

Does it run on a battery?
How long does a charge last?
How long does it take to recharge?
Is there a limit of how many times it can fire the energy weapon?
Why does in not need heat sinks to fire energy weapons?
Is there an engine in it?
Why is it the lightest protomech requires structure, engine, gyro, and such, but battle armor does not?
Why can I not hit the ammo reserves and destroy it?
Why does it still work even if there is only 1 point of armor left?
And why is there no consciousness rolls for the trooper?
How can it jump without a half ton jet?
Why does it not fry the warrior when in fires, such as a flamer, especially when it is open to damge?
Now they can use larger energy weapons but still not require heat sinks, even when tanks do?
Karagin
03/21/14 12:19 AM

magic power given to them by THE POWERS THAT BE...and then the green whiney cat changes into a this massive fearless tiger that has armor on it and...oh wait wrong universe.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/21/14 12:22 AM

they may have been in that universe while making up some of this stuff.

I was fine with the magic when they had just small lasers and such, but now they dragon has started to grow up and ravage the innersphere.

I was under the impression of a battery source, but never thought about the rest until now.
skiltao
04/07/14 04:24 PM

I think the Blood of Kerensky novels explain some of this, and I know the power issues are addressed in the MechWarrior Companion (from 2nd edition RPG). I think I heard that Lostech or the Classic BattleTech Companion (from 3rd edition RPG) also addressed battle armor.

They run on batteries and (if I remember correctly) get something like 10 shots per energy weapon. I don't remember how long it takes to recharge the batteries.

You can indeed destroy Battle Armor by hitting its ammo (see optional rule in Maximum Tech or Tactical Operations). Fires do fry Battle Armor, even if the armor hasn't been breached; in the event of less severe damage, the suit automatically pumps the pilot full of whatever drugs will keep the pilot awake.

Battle armor doesn't need heatsinks or 'Mech-sized jump jets because their equipment is closer to infantry/personal sized gear than it is to 'Mech sized gear. Protomechs occupy a weird middle ground... the lightest protomechs were only intended as proof-of-concept platforms though, to show the equipment worked and could be adapted to larger platforms, so it wasn't a priority to make them better than battle armor.
ghostrider
04/07/14 05:21 PM

if you could, what pages is this information on?
I do not remember that. I know they had information on power packs for weapons for infantry, but I don't remember the battle armor.

The meds I remember, but they should still have something about conciousness rolls and a limit of how many times it can be done.

The issue with novels was discussed in another thread. They do not represent the canon views of battle tech. Even the fluff in the tro's is ignored if it is not stated in the rules of the game.
skiltao
04/08/14 12:46 AM

I think the MechWarrior Companion discusses battle suit operations near the beginning of its equipment chapter... sorry I can't do better, my books are boxed up at the moment. All of those books should have a pretty good table of contents though.

Oh! The A Time of War Companion (or whatever its title is) probably has the most definitive chapter to date.
ghostrider
04/08/14 04:17 AM

I know they discussed energy weapons for infantry and those infantry weapons that are modified to be put on battle armor, but there is nothing said about the mech small lasers used on the initial elemental armor or the later battle armors that I have seen. Now they are able to use medium lasers or so someone here but up a suit that uses such.

And the weapon needs cooling to use. A battery alone would not allow a small laser to fire more then once without melting something. Otherwise it would be usable on vehicles even as a one shot.

One more thing about the meds for retaining conciousness. Mech pilots are supposed to have the same thing. They are required to have conciousness rolls. The fluff said anywheres up to 12 shots. But that is fluff.
skiltao
04/08/14 01:41 PM

Walking around in an intuitive exoskeleton no doubt requires less fine coordination and control than does piloting a BattleMech. Some Mech pilots have access to similar drugs ( and their effect on consciousness should be addressed wherever that equipment is listed) but most pilots do not.

The lasers used on battle armor may use the same stats as 'Mech small lasers, but in the RPG they're treated as "Heavy Support Lasers" (squad-level infantry support weapons). I imagine they do have a cooling system, but it isn't itemized separately; likewise, sub-systems that the Mech version accounts as part of the weapon (capacitors, robotic gimbals) may be accounted elsewhere in the battlearmor.

I'm not saying the weights work out perfectly, mind you. BattleTech construction systems get kind of weird when you dip below 20 tons.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5105

Contact Admins Sarna.net