allocation of troops

Pages: 1
ghostrider
04/13/14 06:31 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have seen several people talk about using troops, but yet wonder how many of these troops just pop out of their behinds when they are needed, but are not allocated in the begining of the game.
Most games I have played you needed to pick the troops before placement on the maps. Any reinforcements were already picked as well.

Given time and resources you can change the face of the outcome, but with the initial play, there are problems completing missions. Something as simple as the type of dropship used to bring the forces into battle presents limitations to what you should have access to. A single union dropship means 12 mechs. Not 12 mechs, a company of battle armor and 4 support vehicles.
Karagin
04/13/14 07:22 PM

My group we always have an idea of what we are using prior to the game and we agree on things. So no big surprises happen, now if it is a MW campaign going on then yeah surprises happen.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/14/14 10:55 AM

Its not hard to have support vehicles loaded onto a Union dropship in the cargo hold. The only problem is they have to be unpacked which could take hours instead of being deployed as soon as the dropship lands.

Now as of putting battle armor troops into a cargo hold that might be pushing things but I can see it being done in a pinch. Now I doubt the troops would be in anything close to top fighting condition.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
04/14/14 09:29 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

Now as of putting battle armor troops into a cargo hold that might be pushing things but I can see it being done in a pinch. Now I doubt the troops would be in anything close to top fighting condition.

Shouldn't be a problem loading the combat suits in the cargo hold, and the soldiers in the passenger/crew area. Although again, deployment time after landing would be a problem, as they'd have to "suit up" before joining the battle. Not that useful in a Raid situation, although as part of an extended Planetary Assault it would be useful.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
04/15/14 12:06 AM

I was talking of not just the armor but the men in the hold also. A union drop ship dose not have passenger quarters. And the example of this thread was a union dropship.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
04/15/14 01:36 AM

Donkey has the idea. I used the union dropship since company on company tends to be the largest fights people deal with. Yet for a simple raid, I have heard people say they have almost battalion of ground troops with support vehicles, and only 1 ship. I was seeing if this is common.
04/16/14 01:52 PM

I can pack an entire reinforced army of light or ultra light combat vehicles into one mule drop ship. Yes it will take a week or longer to unpack all of it out of the drop ship but I can get it to a planet.

You dont need all of a invading force to be able to jump out of a drop ship at the moment of landing. You need to have just enough forces at landing just to keep the defending force busy wail you unpack the real invading army. If you land where it will take days for the defender to get to you you will have the time to deploy your packed up force. If the defender waits for the attacker to attack their forces all the better for the attacker.

Just one mule can carry a reinforced division of battlemechs as cargo.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
04/16/14 03:27 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I was talking of not just the armor but the men in the hold also. A union drop ship dose not have passenger quarters. And the example of this thread was a union dropship.

Not a passenger section per se, but there would have to be accomodations for the pilots/techs/commanders/prostitutes who would accompany the 'Mechs and Vehicles being transported. A Dropship equipped to transport Conventional Infantry would not have them all sitting in the Transport Bay in neat formation holding their weapons the entire trip.

A Barracks-style personnel galley wouldn't take up much space compared to a company of 'Mechs, parts, and supplies.
--Thomas Jefferson
LegatusDavoke
04/19/14 12:55 PM

I'm (obviously) a lot newer to BattleTech, since I started playing about a year and a half ago; but Donkey does have a point about the extended assaults. Any ol' cargo carrier dropship can be converted (relatively) easily into a bulk hauler of tanks, mechs, battlesuits, etc. One of the roleplaying things my MW:O merc unit has is a CargoMaster class dropship we found in an old SLDF depot and converted/upgunned to be an assault mech carrier. Does it have great repair facilities? No, not really. Can it haul a short battalion(of 30 mechs)? Yes, yes it can. Do we care about how cramped it can get in the bays? Sort of, but we have interns for that sort of thing.
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
ghostrider
04/19/14 08:18 PM

the biggest problem with dropships is not the type of non living cargo it can carry, but the air recylers ability to sustain the people on board. I believe this was noted in the original dropships and jumpships book. Granted it might have been in the fluff section of it.

and there isn't really that many people that modify a mech carrier to carry infantry and vehicles at the cost of the mechs.
KamikazeJohnson
04/19/14 08:26 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

the biggest problem with dropships is not the type of non living cargo it can carry, but the air recylers ability to sustain the people on board. I believe this was noted in the original dropships and jumpships book. Granted it might have been in the fluff section of it.

and there isn't really that many people that modify a mech carrier to carry infantry and vehicles at the cost of the mechs.

Still, unless there are purpose-built Infantry Transport Dropships, the standard models must be able to handle a couple hundred warm bodies. Granted, Infantry won't usually be used much in Assaults or Raids, and can frequently be raised (defensively) from local populations, but they will need to be moved planet to planet every now and then. I can't see an invading army pacifying a large urban center without a sufficient Infantry force.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
04/19/14 08:42 PM

The raids I will agree with, but the assaults are iffy. If you plan on holding ground, you will need the infantry especially to pacify the locals.

But the main point was a single union carring the amount of units that a fortress or excalibur were designed to carry, just because they needed it in a campain, but didn't have them with the assaulting unit. They love to pop the stuff out of thin air.

Might be a little more purist, but I really hate when people abuse some of the gm's by doing so.

I might have to reread the dropships tro I have. I am sure it mentioned that in there, or maybe some fluff about modifying a dropship. Not sure.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5866

Contact Admins Sarna.net