How small can a jump core be?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CrayModerator
04/06/14 01:38 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:
ghostrider writes:

have to look it up. I believe one uses naval laser 45's.

No canon DropShips have capital lasers. They can only carry capital missiles or subcapital weapons; see Tech Manual. The FWL's Merlin DropShip variant in XTRO:Marik is armed with subcapital lasers.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
04/06/14 01:40 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

but did get the impression some were built on planetside.

No KF drive vessel is ever built on the ground. The only time a KF drive vessel will land is when it's making a crater. The Star League had its Titan Shipyards around Saturn; the Federated Commonwealth revived a derelict orbiting shipyard for its Fox program; Boeing operated its Galax Megaplex space station complex. All were KF core vessel assembly was space-based in BT.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
04/06/14 01:57 AM

might have mixed up the capitol class and battlestat stations with the dropships. Both of them use non missile naval weapons.
GiovanniBlasini
04/06/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

The BugEye was republished with complete stats conforming to TacOps/StratOps construction rules in...TRO:3085?...recently, anyway. TR:2750's WarShips were not built to any construction rules as TR:2750 predated even BattleSpace.

Interstellar Players 3: Interstellar Expeditions, actually. Because IE had a functional one.
Member of the Pundit Caste
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." -- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG2003
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/06/14 08:47 AM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

Uhmm..Star Wars had ACCLAMTOR class ships that landed. Not Star destroyers and Star Trek allowed Voyager to land.

This is Battletech its not Star Wars nor is it Star Trek. What happens in the Star Wars and Star Trek universes is totally and completely irrelevant in the Battletech universe.

As for War Ships landing on planet if you look at the artwork of War Ships its plane to see that they would burn up in reentry do to no consideration given to being aerodynamic.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
skiltao
04/06/14 01:34 PM

Quote:
Cray writes:

Since BattleSpace (pub. 1990, by FASA), WarShips and JumpShips have always suffered massive damage when entering an atmosphere. They're creatures of vacuum only, a point established in the earliest BT books to mention them (Mechwarrior 1st edition and BT 2nd edition, I think.)

I don't think Warships were specifically addressed that early, but Mechwarrior 1st edition does make the interesting comment that Star League Dropships were "usually incapable of independent jump" (emphasis mine).

Edited by skiltao (04/06/14 01:36 PM)
Karagin
04/06/14 06:03 PM

Which art work are you looking at? The newer stuff or the older?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
04/06/14 07:27 PM

There are some designs that horrible for looks in both eras. the McKenna and Aegis looks to be ones that should not try to land.
And several of the starleague designs change from the 2750 to the others they are in.

Now being aerodynamic. There are more then a few that look like they are.
But let's talk about dropships.

The spheroids do not look like they could enter an atmosphere without exploding.
And no where in any of the books did I find anything that states dropships have a heat shielding on them. Only things they say is the armor used to repulse weapon damage.

Now granted the Bug Eye is the exception to the rule, it does look like the equipment deployed is retractable, and that it could land like a the aerodyne shuttle the united states retired.
CrayModerator
04/07/14 07:52 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Now granted the Bug Eye is the exception to the rule, it does look like the equipment deployed is retractable, and that it could land like a the aerodyne shuttle the united states retired.

The updated Bug Eye in ISP3 specifically notes it can't land, in adherence with "WarShips can't land" rules.

However, the Bug Eye is exactly the short of ship you could home rule into landing. It's meant to be disguisable as a DropShip.

Another WarShip that looks like it might land is the Cruiser-class of Field Reports: 2765 (Draconis Combine). It could pass for a very un-aerodynamic spheroid and settle on its stern.

Edited by Cray (04/07/14 07:59 PM)
LegatusDavoke
04/20/14 06:19 PM

Even though its been awhile since anyone last posted here, I'd like to point out that in the FedCom Civil War, there was a notable incident where a Davion Block II destroyer was rammed by a dropship that had been accelerated to about 15G's by a tug dropship, and subsequently knocked out of its low-orbit into the atmosphere; where it broke apart from structural stresses induced by the sudden change from low-grav to high-grav, made worse because it entered at an awkward angle while moving at almost maximum speed. Other than that, I don't know of any times a warship enter- wait, another FedCom Civil War related incident. A corvette(?) loyal to George Hasek II rammed a superior warship that was loyal to Katherine Steiner-Davion, causing both ships to fall into atmosphere and break apart rather dramatically.That's the only ones i recall off the top of my head in BattleTech.
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
ghostrider
04/20/14 08:46 PM

Yes, both of those things happened in the novels. Problem is, novels aren't canon resources. The best they do is follow the basic outline of the battletech universe, but embellish things to make them more interesting.
I believe there is one instance in the fedcom war that a warships made a jump from the normal spots further into the gravity well to rescue a dropship from a pair of smaller warships.

Now, in both of those circumstances, the ship was going in at a steep and fast angle without being controlled. That would happen to even the best shielded ship that could land.
Karagin
04/20/14 08:47 PM

Novels are canon Ghostrider...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
04/20/14 08:48 PM

Only the "random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon."
CrayModerator
04/20/14 09:17 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Yes, both of those things happened in the novels. Problem is, novels aren't canon resources.

Actually, novels are very canon. Until a subsequent rule book or setting book retcons them, novels are canon.

LegatusDavoke
04/20/14 11:57 PM

The incident you're talking about is actually a warship jumping in-system when the captain evacuates the crew and personally decides to be crazy. He basically suicide jumps into another ship to save some corvettes and Victor Davion's flagship. Both the jumping ship and ship that got jumped to were basically non-existent afterwards, and it explained that jumping in a gravity well basically meant you were screwed unless you jumped to a pirate point, in which case you'd probably be pretty badly damaged and couldn't jump again anyway. (I just read that book about two weeks ago, and i particularly enjoyed that scene :P)
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
ghostrider
04/21/14 01:37 AM

good to know people have read some of the novels like that. It does show how the novels counter the rules sometimes.

Canon rule says the jump would not initiate from core safety protocols, which should be almost impossible to override.
but that is another thread.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 16712

Contact Admins Sarna.net