AS7-Db 'Royal Atlas'

Pages: 1
LegatusDavoke
04/20/14 04:26 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A variant that was supposedly produced immediately prior to and during the Amaris Coup, this particular unit can be considered nothing more than rumor. From what information we've acquired, its essentially a general upgrade to the Atlas-D, providing CASE, Streak missiles, and pulse technology. A shipping manifest from the year 2768 suggests that twelve of these mechs were evacuated to an unknown base in the deep periphery shortly before Kerensky's Exodus. However, due to the effects of age and possible file corruption, we are forced to assume that these mechs were in fact just standard D models. Any attempts by explorational personnel to chase after these ghosts is to be considered a normal infraction according to our standards.
-Writer Unknown, Memo to personnel of unknown mercenary(?) corporation

Atlas
AS7-Db

Config:Biped
TechBase:Inner Sphere
Production Years:2765-2767
Rules Level:2

Mass:100
Engine:300 Fusion Engine
Structure:Standard
Myomer:Standard

Heat Sinks:15 Double
Walk MP:3
Jump MP:0

Armor:Standard Armor
LA Armor:33
RA Armor:33
LT Armor:31
RT Armor:31
CT Armor:48
HD Armor:9
LL Armor:42
RL Armor:42
RTL Armor:11
RTR Armor:11
RTC Armor:13

Weapons:8
1 ISAC20, Right Torso, Ammo:15
1 ISMediumLaser (R), Center Torso (R)
1 ISMediumLaser (R), Center Torso (R)
1 ISMediumPulseLaser, Left Arm
1 ISMediumPulseLaser, Right Arm
1 ISLRM20, Left Torso, Ammo:18
1 ISStreakSRM2, Right Arm, Ammo:50
1 ISStreakSRM2, Left Arm

Left Arm:
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
ISStreakSRM2
ISMediumPulseLaser
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink
-Empty-
-Empty-
-Empty-

Right Arm:
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
ISStreakSRM2
ISMediumPulseLaser
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink
ISDouble Heat Sink

Left Torso:
ISLRM20
ISLRM20
ISLRM20
ISLRM20
ISLRM20
ISLRM20 Ammo
ISLRM20 Ammo
ISStreakSRM2 Ammo
ISAC20 Ammo
ISLRM20 Ammo
ISAC20 Ammo
ISCASE

Right Torso:
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20
ISAC20 Ammo
ISCASE

Center Torso:
Engine
Engine
Engine
Gyro
Gyro
Gyro
Gyro
Engine
Engine
Engine
ISMediumLaser (R)
ISMediumLaser (R)

Head:
Life Support
Sensors
Cockpit
-Empty-
Sensors
Life Support

Left Leg:
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
-Empty-
-Empty-

Right Leg:
Hip
Upper Leg Actuator
Lower Leg Actuator
Foot Actuator
-Empty-
-Empty-
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
TigerShark
04/22/14 03:45 PM

Wouldn't the AS7-D-H and AS7-D-H2 Atlas II already be the "Royal" Atlas?
KamikazeJohnson
04/22/14 08:11 PM

A decent variant. The additional LRM Ammo is essential, as a wise opponent will engage an Atlas at range. Improved accuracy and ammo efficiency are nice improvements. Not a major rework, or a revolutionary upgrade, but a nice variant.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
TigerShark
04/23/14 12:52 AM

I would assume the AC/20 would be dumped for the much more useful Gauss Rifle in any "upgrade." The AC20 isn't even fired for most of the game in that era of play.
KamikazeJohnson
04/23/14 01:54 AM

Quote:
TigerShark writes:

I would assume the AC/20 would be dumped for the much more useful Gauss Rifle in any "upgrade." The AC20 isn't even fired for most of the game in that era of play.

The AC/20 still has its uses, although I'd certainly upgrade to the UAC or the LB-X version in a modern timeline. The Gauss is more versatile as a weapon, but it has its drawbacks...notably its tendency to explode. It's far easier to damage than a couple tons of ammo, and unlike ammo, the danger can't be depleted or dumped; place a GR sharing a torso with an XL engine, and you're asking for trouble.

Not saying the GR is not a good choice for an upgrade -- it absolutely is -- but that doesn't mean it's a "must have" over the AC/20.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
04/23/14 03:05 AM

range is the main thing the gauss has over the ac 20.
Now if they did to the ac's that the do with the guns on battleships, it should me the ac 20 would have more range then the ac 2.

With the new extended ranges of everything, they killed the ac 20s effectiveness for almost everything but cities or heavy wooded areas.

I think using a targeting computer for ultras should allow the second shot to hit if the first one does. It is supposed to help target things.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/23/14 12:09 PM

You can turn the gauss rifle off and then it wont explode if it is hit with crits.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
TigerShark
04/23/14 06:08 PM

Quote:
KamikazeJohnson writes:

Quote:
TigerShark writes:

The AC/20 still has its uses, although I'd certainly upgrade to the UAC or the LB-X version in a modern timeline. The Gauss is more versatile as a weapon, but it has its drawbacks...notably its tendency to explode. It's far easier to damage than a couple tons of ammo, and unlike ammo, the danger can't be depleted or dumped; place a GR sharing a torso with an XL engine, and you're asking for trouble.

Not saying the GR is not a good choice for an upgrade -- it absolutely is -- but that doesn't mean it's a "must have" over the AC/20.

The AC/20 has its uses, yes. But not very many. Once you leave the safe, warm comforts of the intro tech table, it's out-ranged pretty quickly by much better weaponry.

Take an army of AC/20 units vs. Gauss units. You'll figure that one out within 4 turns.
KamikazeJohnson
04/23/14 07:12 PM

Quote:
Take an army of AC/20 units vs. Gauss units. You'll figure that one out within 4 turns.

Take an army of Awesome's against an army of Grand Dragons and tell me how that turns out. Doesn't mean the Grand Dragon is useless, it just has applications other than going head-to-head with an Awesome.

I wouldn't advise putting an AC/20 on every Assault 'Mech in the field, or even on half of them. But one AC/20 'Mech as part of a lance can have a tremendous impact on the battle.
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
04/23/14 07:38 PM

And replies on questions about powering down Gauss rifles may be found in the Board Game forum. Went a bit off-topic there, but it was an interesting topic worth saving.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
LegatusDavoke
04/23/14 11:58 PM

I did intend this to be a urban/hilly terrain machine, so the AC/20 was designed to be the big smack as close combat was reached. Since the beast can still do a double punch or a kick at point blank, and fire the '20
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
ghostrider
04/24/14 01:42 AM

I am guessing that a few people do not stick with alot of the canon mapsheets. A lot of them will allow you to get an ac 20 close enough to be effective. Yes the gauss will be a little more effective for some of it.
And yes, you will have the time to counter movement in a game, but franky some maps force you to get close enough to counter alot of the long range weapons.

The atlas is a great design, with one exception when it came out. Once the lrms were depleted, it was a sitting duck for units that had a range longer then 9. Now that the gauss rifle is out and has several variants people use it for the range. Understandable. But saying it will destroy the ac 20 every time means you are not using the terrain like it needs to be. Hell, I would think the only light mech people would use is the hollander. most the others have no range to counter it.
Karagin
04/24/14 06:09 AM

I have used the terrain maps, aka you put what terrain you want on the table, or have used the white hex mapsheets that allow you to draw in your terrain features with a dry or wet erase marker. All of it depends on what you are wanting from things.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5108

Contact Admins Sarna.net