Unleash Your Inner Action Hero!(Design Challenge)

Pages: 1
LegatusDavoke
04/24/14 05:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I may be a bit new here, but one thing I love about Battletech is the massive universe allowing for stories of almost any kind to take place within it. As such, I felt it'd be hilariously epic to make a design/fluff contest for a typical 80's/90's (B) movie tough guy action hero! Make this vigilante hoss a mech fitting his burly manliness, and give it(and him) a backstory suitable for a grizzled do-gooder and his lethal ride. There's only a few requirements, and even then these are pretty open-ended...

1.Fluff:
Give the mech/hero an appropriately awesome background, whether he be a former SLDF trooper out for vengeance; a battle-hardened Periphery mechwarrior making a living hunting pirates; or anything else you can come up with, make sure its got some epic fluff.

2.Equipment:
Your limitations are as follows...
-There must be an autocannon of 10 or 20 class, or Hyper-Assault Gauss, every good guy needs an impressive gun of course!
-No Arrow IV or Extended LRM launcher
-Swords, Hatchets, Maces, etc. are very welcome on these designs. Bonus internets if you use something crazy like the Dual Saw or Wrecking Ball and manage to pull off a reason why.
-Militarized IndustMechs are a valid option
-No Quads(glares at Retry)
-No ECM/CEWS/Null Sig/Polarization Shield/Blue Field
-All mech classes allowed
-No OmniMechs(Unless the mech has been radically altered, i.e. an armor-type change, engine change, etc. Thereby making it a non-omni)
-Minimum of one Clan-Tech weapon or sub-system, maximum of five(Ex:Engine, Structure, Armor, Electronics) Ammo is not counted in this number.

Other than that, you've got free reign to entertain your fellow mech-designers with glorious characters. If enough designs are submitted, I'll even not be lazy and rate them. Have fun gentlemen!
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
KamikazeJohnson
04/26/14 11:00 PM

I have a 'Mech designed for this one...a true JMInc. worthy! Just working on the back story.

I'll be posting a rough draft version...anyone more knowlegeable than me about BT history is welcome to suggest details like dates, placed, battles, etc to my rather vague account. Hope you like it.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
LegatusDavoke
04/28/14 05:55 PM

I'll be eagerly awaiting it!
KamikazeJohnson
04/29/14 12:39 PM

My back story turned out a lot longer than I expected, so I'll give it to you in a couple parts. I welcome any feedback, suggested edits, and especially appropriate dates/places to work into the story.

Myron Blackstone: "BloodFist"

General Description

Myron Blackstone, now approaching middle age, is a highly respected/notorious Bounty Hunter, specializing in locating and retrieving or "neutralizing" targets in urban environments. While not officially diagnosed with "dwarfism," he is a small man, standing only 4' 10" tall and weighing in at about 105 lbs. However, physical size has no bearing on performance inside a 'Mech's cockpit, and Myron's exploits are the stuff of legend. He never allows anyone else to work on his 'Mech, which is old but highly customized with many modifications that are considered "impossible" or "impractical" by most Techs.

Early Life:

Myron Blackstone trained as a Tech in his teenage years, working towards a career repairing and modifying 'Mechs for the Capellan Military. His father had been a 'Mechwarrior when Myron was a child. Nothing glamorous; mostly garrison work, but being the son of a ‘Mechwarrior was necessarily cool. However, young Myron's dreams of following in his father's footsteps were shattered during a raid in the "calm" years between the Fourth Succession War and the Clan Invasion. James Blackstone was killed in battle, and a scandal (something regarding a General's daughter and her infant son) meant no benefits or the family. While Myron did inherit the corpse of his father's 'Mech, it was deemed beyond repair. Myron spent the rest of his childhood playing on and around the wrecked war machine, determined that one day, he would find a way to bring it back into action.

It was a fateful inspiration, as Myron excelled as a Tech, many times surprising his instructors by doing complex repairs with minimal equipment. However, after graduation, the shadow of his father’s scandal fell on him once again, this time denying him a military job. Undaunted, he spent the next few years honing his skills on Industrialmechs, several times being lauded by his employers for the quality of his work, and he began saving towards parts for his father’s shattered ‘Mech.
His big break came when a Mercenary captain appeared in the shop. His company had been badly mauled in a failed raid and had withdrawn, barely managing to escape with all their ‘Mechs. However, only 8 of the 12 machines were operational -- and even those were barely battle-worthy -- and the mercs didn’t have the funds for the military-grade repair shops, so to avoid bankruptcy, they were scouring the civilian shops for anyone they could find who could work on a BattleMech. Myron volunteered, and with the shop’s facilities, he was able to bring enough of the ‘Mechs into battle-worthy condition that the mercs had a chance of securing another contract. When the captain asked the price, he was told, “Take me on as your field Tech.”
The Captain initially protested on the grounds that he had no room for additional personnel until he replaced some of his critically damaged hardware. “No one joins up who doesn’t bring a ‘Mech with him.”

“Lucky for you,” Myron answered, “I have one.”

The Captain’s initial look of shock at the sight of the twisted wreck Myron loaded onto the Dropship the next day was quickly replaced with embarrassed laughter. “I guess I should have specified working ‘Mech.” At last Myron had his military post.

The ‘Mercs saw frequent action over the next several years, and with Myron working in -- and later running – the repair bay, their machines were maintained in excellent condition for a small Merc unit. Myron found himself not only collecting a very respectable salary, but also given a choice of salvage from time to time, and gradually his father’s old machine was getting pieced back together.

Birth of a Hero:

The end came in 3049 when they took a contract to oppose the mysterious invaders calling themselves the Clans. The contract was to reinforce the defending garrison. They barely made it out of the Dropship. When the Dropship itself began to shudder from massive damage, Myron knew he had one option. Minutes later, he pushed a button, and his father’s old ‘Mech hummed to life. Still in rather shabby condition and critically low on ammo, at least it had armour and it was mobile. The smoking remains of Myron’s companions littered the area, but luckily only a single ‘Mech had remained behind to finish off the crippled Dropship; still, Myron’s attempt to slip away failed, and within seconds his sensors showed the Clan machine racing to intercept. Without enough functional firepower to have any hope in a direct engagement, he looked around desperately for an advantage. As it happened, the Dropship had set down near a construction site; he threw his ‘Mech’s full power against the arm of the giant crane, swinging it around. While the wrecking ball didn’t strike the charging ‘Mech (designated a “PUMA” by his intel sheets) with enough force to cause significant damage, it did knock the enemy off balance, and the murderous PPC fire went wide as the Puma toppled to the ground. Hesitation meant death – a kick to the downed ‘Mech’s head, and Myron knew it would not be getting back up to follow him.

The planet’s defenders held out for 3 more days, before a Dropship burst through the cloud cover to evacuate the last survivors. The evacuation almost ended in tragedy, as a squad of the Clans freakish Elementals swarmed the last ‘Mech as it attempted to stagger to safety. The battered Centurion attempted to defend itself, taking down one of the armoured demons, but it was clearly in no condition to deal with the attack. Salvation came from an unexpected source; a burst of Autocannon fire from a nearby warehouse ripped apart another Elemental as a bizarre ‘Mech emerged to join the fight. A second demon fell to the next burst, and a third was swatted out of the air mid-leap by the heavy wrecking ball dangling from the new arrival’s mangled arm. The final two battle suits, clearly unable to meet this new threat and the Panther now standing in the Dropship’s hatch, wisely fled, allowing Myron to join the evacuees and escape the doomed planet.

Stay tuned for more of Myron's exploits...the real "action hero" stuff is still to come.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
04/29/14 01:54 PM

Interesting story so far, but a few things come to mind.

I believe the clans were in the periphery in 3049. I don't think they started in the innersphere until 2050.

Second, depending on the time line of when it is written, the innersphere called the elementals 'toads'. If this was one of the first encounters, or later, depends on any of the names. I know it is easier to call them with the names later given to them.

Now a third. The reason why the puma had closed to within the range of the wrecking ball. But then breaks like this are what make heros

Plus there is not tech sheet to look it over. I would think it would do well to see what it was before it was rebuilt as well as the rebuilt version. But that might be just me.

Though being a tech, I am surprised you didn't try to drag the mech or atleast rip off an arm or something to take with you.
KamikazeJohnson
04/29/14 02:28 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Interesting story so far, but a few things come to mind.

I believe the clans were in the periphery in 3049. I don't think they started in the innersphere until 3050.

I thought TRO:3050 was put out after the Clans' first arrival in 3049...I could be mistaken.

Quote:
Second, depending on the time line of when it is written, the innersphere called the elementals 'toads'. If this was one of the first encounters, or later, depends on any of the names. I know it is easier to call them with the names later given to them.

I used a few different names for them. They were completely unknown, at least to the characters in the story.

Quote:
Now a third. The reason why the puma had closed to within the range of the wrecking ball. But then breaks like this are what make heros

I pictured it as the Puma rounded a corner and ran smack into the wrecking ball.

Quote:
Plus there is not tech sheet to look it over. I would think it would do well to see what it was before it was rebuilt as well as the rebuilt version. But that might be just me.

I'll post the sheet with the last part of the story. More fun to find out later what you've been reading about.

Quote:
Though being a tech, I am surprised you didn't try to drag the mech or atleast rip off an arm or something to take with you.

His 'Mech doesn't have hands, so he couldn't drag anything. The crane boom got tangled with the 'Mech's arm, which is why he kept it around.

Thanks for the feedback!
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
04/29/14 03:21 PM

The final days of 3049. You are correct.

I would suggest in the story you add in 'just as the puma rounded the corner, you pushed...' or something like it. Some times a little flair goes a long way with stories.

But then if you wanted creative writing lessons, you would go back to school. :P
KamikazeJohnson
04/29/14 04:49 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

The final days of 3049. You are correct.

I would suggest in the story you add in 'just as the puma rounded the corner, you pushed...' or something like it. Some times a little flair goes a long way with stories.

As brevity is the soul of wit, I endeavored to be brief

Quote:
But then if you wanted creative writing lessons, you would go back to school. :P

And that's about as likely to happen as the events in this story...
--Thomas Jefferson
LegatusDavoke
04/30/14 01:36 PM

That was awesome. I'd love to see this mysterious Frankenmech though
KamikazeJohnson
05/05/14 12:49 AM

At long last...the conclusion (and Blood Fist)

Part 2

Myron received a medal and a commendation for his part in the successful evacuation of the last defenders, but his bizarre ‘Mech and his lack of experience as a ‘Mechwarrior (despite his obvious aptitude) kept him from being promptly drafted into the ongoing war effort. However, his exploits (his onboard camera had recorded his ambush and destruction of three more heavily damaged Clan ‘Mechs) quickly became legend, and it was only days after he returned home that he received his first offer: a lance of bandit ‘Mechs had holed up in a city on a world on the Periphery border, and local CapCon forces had suffered heavy damage trying to root them out. Myron and his ‘Mech (fresh out of a proper repair facility, and renamed Blood Fist for the bright red wrecking ball mounted to the Left Arm) were up to the task, leading a lance into the city against the bandits. Myron personally ambushed and disabled two of the 4 bandit ‘Mechs; the others surrendered to CapCon authorities.

Myron’s reputation continued to grow, quickly turning him into one of the Capellan Confederation’s leading Bounty Hunters, specializing in urban actions, but deadly in any close-quarters situation to which Blood Fist is so ideally suited. His list of “kills” is impressive; even on one memorable occasion taking out a Battlemaster with a brilliantly-aimed blow of the wrecking ball. While the pilot did not survive to describe his reaction, we can hope the last thought that went through his head as the 4-ton hunk of ferrocrete smashed his ‘Mech’s cockpit was, “What the F$#%!!!”

Myron continues to tinker with Blood Fist’s systems, upgrading to new versions or modifying the existing to better suit his needs. Black market contact continue to supply him some of the more unusual items he needs to keep the ‘Mech in fighting form, and as yet the authorities have chosen to allow him to purchase outside the law in order to keep their favourite civilian asset at top effectiveness.

Blood Fist
a.k.a. Death is coming for you...very slowly...

Mass: 30 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 2,730,650 C-Bills
Battle Value: 675

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 60 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 21.6 km/h (32.4 km/h)
Maximum Speed: 32.4 km/h (54.0 km/h)
Jump Jets: Unknown
Jump Capacity: 60 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 (CL) LB 10-X AC
1 Wrecking Ball
1 (IS) Laser Anti-Missile System
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Overview:

Personal 'Mech of the notorious Bounty Hunter, Myron Blackstone.

Began life as a typical UM-R60 UrbanMech. After being all but destroyed in a
defensive action vs Davion raiders, the 'Mech was painstakingly repaired years
later. The 'Mech underwent numerous battlefield modifications in the following
years, turning into a FrankenMech of sorts, and very little of the original
'Mech actually remains.

The most remarkable modification is the chassis: piece by torturous piece, the
entire chassis was gradually replaced with Endo Steel...a feat generally
considered impossible, or at least wildly impractical as a field refit. The
Left Arm was clearly never built for an UrbanMech; best guess is that it
actually began life as the RIGHT arm off a Valkyrie. The odd hinging that
result from the arm being mounted to the wrong side actually works in the
'Mech's favour when swinging the massive wrecking ball mounted by the simple
technique of welding the entire crane arm to the forearm of the 'Mech.

The Triple Strength Myomer at first looks like an odd choice, due to the
'Mech's almost nonexistent heat output. However, like nearly everything else
on this 'Mech, the system has been modified from its original version;
Blackstone is reportedly able to engage the system at will.

Less dramatic but perhaps even more noteworthy is the Autocannon...a Clan-spec
LB 10-X AC replacing the original in the Right Arm. Coupled with the use of
Clan Ferro-Fibrous Armour, enough tonnage is freed up for a pre-production
model Laser AMS for defensive use. Why anyone would bother to make such
extensive, expensive, and ridiculous modifications to an UrbanMech is a
mystery, but as the saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures.

On an unrelated note, there are rumours that Blackstone's father had ties to
Johnson 'Mechworks, Inc.

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 51 points 1.50
Internal Locations: 1 HD, 4 LT, 4 RT, 2 LA, 3 RA
Engine: Fusion Engine 60 1.50
Walking MP: 2 (3)
Running MP: 3 (5)
Jumping MP: 2 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 2 CT 1.00
Heat Sinks: (IS) Single Heat Sink 10 0.00
Heat Sink Locations: 3 LT, 3 RT, 1 LL, 1 RL
Gyro: Standard 1.00
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA
TSM Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 105 5.50
Armor Locations: 1 HD, 2 LT, 2 RT, 1 LA, 1 RA

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 10 12
Center Torso (rear) 8
L/R Torso 7 10
L/R Torso (rear) 4
L/R Arm 5 10
L/R Leg 7 14

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CL) LB 10-X AC RA 2 5 10.00
Wrecking Ball LA - 5 4.00
(IS) Laser Anti-Missile System LT 7 2 1.50
@LB 10-X (Cluster) (10) RT - 1 1.00
@LB 10-X (Slug) (10) RT - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 4 Points: 7
2j 1 1 1 0 1 0 Structure: 3
Special Abilities: TSM, MEL, AMS, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, FLK 1/1/1

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
Blood Fist's original Autocannon was mangled during an encounter with a pair of straggling Elementals shortly after his first encounter with the Puma. Luckily for Myron, he stumbled across a functional civilian service shop with the capacity to handle a Battlemech. He replaced the AC with a LB 10-X salvaged off an arm blown off a Ryoken (C) during the raging battle. The initial patched-together coupling was barely functional, but it held together long enough for him to emerge from his hideout and join the last evacuees. Later work corrected the interface, and the cannon now works perfectly. The Triple Strength Myomer retro-fitted into the 'Mech is actually the first recorded use of the experimental Improved Triple Strength, which is activated manually rather than by the 'Mech's ambient heat scale. Details can be found here.

GAME NOTES:
Myron's extensive personalization of Blood Fist mean it is ideally suited to his style. While his skills are unremarkable (Regular 5/4), he receives a -1 bonus to both Piloting and Gunnery while piloting Blood Fist. Furthermore, due to his small stature, he is perfectly comfortable in the 'Mech's cramped cockpit -- ignore the Piloting penalty typical of a Small Cockpit.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
05/05/14 05:58 AM

not the weight I would have expected for a bounty hunter. Figured atleast a heavy.

It is a definite change of pace.
LegatusDavoke
05/05/14 01:40 PM

It has character. Lots of character.

The last thing I expected was an Urbie...so that definitely gets bonus internets. Plus the clever use of the Wrecking Ball.
ghostrider
05/06/14 02:18 AM

sad thing his aim was off. He was trying for the building.
LegatusDavoke
05/08/14 02:57 PM

I'd say with backstory, individuality, and hilarity of design/mech type in general, definitely a 9.2/10.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4933

Contact Admins Sarna.net