naval weapons

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
04/18/14 03:07 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was looking at naval weapons and saw the ranges they can fire. Has the rules for range per hex changed for outer space so people don't need to have maps the size of a city block to play naval battles?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
04/18/14 07:39 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I was looking at naval weapons and saw the ranges they can fire. Has the rules for range per hex changed for outer space so people don't need to have maps the size of a city block to play naval battles?

Ranges are the same since Battlespace in 1990. Standard aerospace weapon ranges are:

Short: 6 hexes
Medium: 12 hexes
Long: 20 hexes ?
Extreme: 25 hexes

Capital ranges are double that: 12, 24, 40, 50.

Some capital missiles have longer ranges yet. They can be fired independently and coast for hundreds of hexes before engaging a target on their own at crappy target numbers.

Standard aerospace maps do have more hexes than ground maps, and you can always use "scrolling maps" (adding and removing maps as needed). After all, beyond weapon ranges, aerospace movement if different. A spaceship in space keeps coasting after expending thrust, so you can easily cover dozens of hexes in a few turns.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
04/18/14 11:41 PM

So if I fire a medium laser at a target at 6 hexes its a standard role but if I fire the same medium laser at 9 its at +2

If I fire my clan ER Large Laser at 7 it would be at +2

Am I getting this right?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
04/19/14 01:13 AM

I thought most normal weapons were like short range only compared to naval weapons.
CrayModerator
04/19/14 01:58 PM

Quote:

So if I fire a medium laser at a target at 6 hexes its a standard role but if I fire the same medium laser at 9 its at +2

Nope. Aerospace ranges work differently than ground ranges. The difference is that in ground combat, each weapon has their own set of range bands. A medium laser has ranges of 1-3 (short), 4-6 (medium), or 7-9 (long). In aerospace combat, there are two universal sets of range bands: standard and capital (see my last post). Weapons are given a range based on those.

Medium lasers have a short standard range. Large lasers have a medium standard range. NAC/35s have a medium large capital range.

Weapons can only fire into their range bands. For example, a large laser can fire at targets in short and medium standard range bands. A medium laser can fire only into the standard short range. The NAC/35 can fire into short and medium capital range bands.

The to-hit modifiers are as follows:

Short range: +0
Medium range: +2
Long range: +4
Extreme range: +6?

So if a target was at range 7, the medium laser can't shoot at it because it only has a short standard range (6 hexes). The large laser could shoot at it, but would have a +2 modifier because it is in the medium standard range (7-12 hexes). The NAC/35 would have a +0 modifier because range 7 is in the capital short range band (0 to 12).

It's a simplification over ground combat, but different than what you're probably used to.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
05/05/14 02:55 PM

What range do the following weapons fall under

Clan/ES
Gauss Rifle

Clan
ERPPC
ERLL
ERML
LPL
MPL

IS
LGR
ERPPC
ERLL
PPC
LL

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/05/14 06:12 PM

Quote:

What range do the following weapons fall under

The following all use standard weapon range brackets, not naval. The individual brackets are:

Clan/ES
Gauss Rifle: Long

Clan
ERPPC: Long
ERLL: Extreme
ERML: Medium
LPL: Long
MPL: Medium

IS
LGR: Extreme
ERPPC: Long
ERLL: Long
PPC: Medium
LL: Medium

05/06/14 02:13 AM

Thanks

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4996

Contact Admins Sarna.net