Clan PPC

Pages: 1
Retry
05/17/14 10:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
After taking some beatings after the Clan Invasion, some of the clans needed to rebuild their militaries. Building ERPPCs to rearm their mechs with was simply taking too long, so they began looking for a lower tech solution. Revisiting the vanilla PPC, they gave it the clan touch to upgrade it to be much superior to the normal PPC while being capable enough to be accepted into the clan front-line units.
----

Clan PPC
Damage 15
Heat 10
Min Range 3
Range 6/12/18(/24)
Base Clan
BV2 318
Tons 6
Crits 2
ghostrider
05/18/14 02:33 AM

a time frame would be nice here.
Would this be right after the invasion?
After the treaty expires?

I think it's a little more damage then it should be, but do like the idea of having some advancements in the standard weapons that don't follow the normal procedures. Maybe the step between the normal ppc and the heavy ppc.

would suggest 3 crits since it is a new system, and maybe a ton more.

Honestly, I would think the clans would have had enough stocks of weapons in the pods to make more.
Still an interesting alternative line.
TigerShark
05/18/14 04:31 AM

In the original TRO:3050, there were rules for converting IS to Clan weapons. They were 1/2 tonnage and took one less critical slot, I believe. (So an IS Large Laser would be 2.5 tons and 1 crit). This was removed in later printings.

Following that, a Clan PPC would just be 3.5 tons and 2 crits.
Karagin
05/18/14 11:52 AM

How do figure that? The actual wording on PG 214 was they took up less critical slot but no less then one, so how would you get 3.5 tons for a PPC? I think you miss read things there Tigershark.

It goes on to say that Clan missiles systems, flamers and machine guns weight half as much as the IS Standard versions.

It says nothing about energy weapons weighing less or Autocannons weighing less.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Reiter
05/18/14 12:27 PM

Forget modifying normal weapons to fit standard clan weapons types without the bonuses, just put them on a smaller mech chassis without XL engine and use a slower speed, Ferro-fibrous armor, and endo steel with double heat sinks. Found you can pretty much make mechs like the Thor lighter by 15 tons with about 75-85% of the same effectiveness. Thor prime at 55 tons, goes 4/6/4 no XL engine, same LB-10x/ERPPC but smaller LRM-10, endo steel (original does not use it), and still barely over heats at a fraction of the price of the heavy. The weight advantage of missile weapons, ballistic (about 10-15% lighter than IS), and smaller crit space of Endo/Ferro/Double-heat sinks still give a huge advantage to the clans vs IS mechs without the expensive and crit-magnet XL engines (or massively useless IS endo/ferro clogging the interior when it competes for the more important DHS, usually just use endo cause its a better value for the weight than ferro when I make something).
TigerShark
05/18/14 03:07 PM

Quote:
Karagin writes:

How do figure that? The actual wording on PG 214 was they took up less critical slot but no less then one, so how would you get 3.5 tons for a PPC? I think you miss read things there Tigershark.

It goes on to say that Clan missiles systems, flamers and machine guns weight half as much as the IS Standard versions.

It says nothing about energy weapons weighing less or Autocannons weighing less.

Yep, you're right. Been a while since I looked at it.
Karagin
05/18/14 05:46 PM

Reiter WizKids did that already with several of their Dark Age mechs...Mad Cat went on a diet as did a few others and some gain weight per say...
Karagin

Retry
05/18/14 09:49 PM

I'm just going to assume you all assume that this Clan PPC isn't OP or UP.
Karagin
05/18/14 10:46 PM

OP or UP?
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4325

Contact Admins Sarna.net