Unloading infantry from wet navy vees

Pages: 1
Retry
05/25/14 02:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Some ships like, IIRC, the Monitor and the Mauna Kea can have infantry loaded into their infantry bays. That's all fine, but there's a bit of a problem due to the mechanics of the game. Most infantry can't enter water, and no boat can enter a land hex. IIRC, infantry unloaded get dropped off at the hex the unloader is in. So, unless there's a special rule about this, infantry are basically stranded on their respective ships for the rest of their natural lives...

...Is there special rules to follow for wet navy vessels unloading infantry to shores?
ghostrider
05/25/14 02:13 AM

I know the monitor says they use jump infantry.

I can see if the craft docks, or maybe level 1 water for the craft with the hex next to it being level 0.
As for if the rules cover this, I have no idea. The books I have might be older then some of the people on the board.
And don't respond to that. I am not looking to see how old people are. It was just an example.
Retry
05/25/14 02:19 AM

What I'm specifically looking for is something that would allow a ship to unload from a water space in combat. Think D-Day.
ghostrider
05/25/14 02:24 AM

as I said with the level 1 next to level 0. Otherwise, making a landing craft might be the only way to do it, other then hover craft/vtol.

I don't see why a light boat couldn't get into shallow water to unload.
Retry
05/25/14 02:25 AM

Same here. I just need to find the rules for it so when I bother the people over at the MegaMek bug department I have some substance other than my gut instincts.
Karagin
05/25/14 12:00 PM

Good question, now I see what you are referring to in your other post. Given that naval units like conventional aircraft are treated like redhead step children, I would say home rule it for the most part. You might get more of an answer contacting TPTB directly on their webpage and posting the question.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
05/25/14 05:51 PM

IIRC, TW mentions Infantry with SCUBA or Amphibious gear, which should allow them to reach shore. Failing that, I would house rule it one of two ways:

Assume a wet navy unit has a suitable supply of inflatable boats, etc. to carry 28 men safely to shore (maybe even allocate an additional ton for every platoon for such equipment), the unit essentially "dismounts" from the ship, ending that turn in the same water hex as the ship, then moving onto land the following turn; or create an Amphibious Foot Infantry (4 tons) who can be assumed to have landing craft as part of their equipment. Or a third way I guess, simply allow them to dismount into an adjacent land hex.

I really can't see an inflateable landing craft to carry 28 men being big enough to fit the BT Vehicle Construction system.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
05/25/14 11:53 PM

What having them climb over the side of the ship into the landing craft ala the way the Marines and Army did amphibious landings in WW2?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Hairbear541
06/24/14 02:43 PM

can I suggest you check out popular mechanics for the years 68 thru 70 for the Vietnam era naval riverine monitors ,atc's and aspb's . all are way cool for naval beach or riverine assault groups/with infantry . to bad the old usn decided to kick these useful vessels to the curb after nam . they transported and protected many a grunt . they even had mash version that was very useful in the assault areas , saved even more lives than those admirals sailing desks at fort fumble on the Potomac will ever admit .
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5193

Contact Admins Sarna.net