Space Tanker/Fleet Replenishment Vessel

Pages: 1
Karagin
05/22/14 11:29 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Noting that many support ships that even space naval units would need to keep in working order are missing from BT, I have been playing around with different ideas on this topic for many years this one version a replenishment ship.

Code:
                     AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name: Space Tanker/Fleet Replenishment Vessel
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3067
Vessel Type: JumpShip
Rules: Level 2, Standard design
Rules Set: AeroTech2

Mass: 200,000 tons
Power Plant: Standard
Safe Thrust: 0
Maximum Thrust: 0
Armor Type: Ferro-carbide
Armament:
3 ER Large Laser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class/Model/Name: Space Tanker/Fleet Replenishment Vessel
Mass: 200,000 tons

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant, Drive & Control: 2,400.00
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 0
Maximum Thrust: 0
Kearny-Fuchida Hyperdrive: Standard (Integrity = 4) 190,000.00
Jump Sail: No Sail (Fusion-Charged K-F) .00
Structural Integrity: 1 1,333.50
Total Heat Sinks: 154 Double 40.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps: 57.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters: 500.00
Fire Control Computers: .00
Food & Water: (337 days supply) 64.00
Armor Type: Ferro-carbide (111 total armor pts) 111.00
Capital Scale Armor Pts
Fore: 23
Fore-Left/Right: 18/18
Aft-Left/Right: 18/18
Aft: 16

Cargo:
Bay 1: Small Craft (2) 400.00
Bay 2: Reaction Mass Fuel Tank (2) 2,000.00
Bay 3: Water Tank (1) 2,000.00
Bay 4: Cargo (1) 832.50

Life Boats: 6 (7 tons each) 42.00

Crew and Passengers:
3 Officers (3 minimum) 30.00
18 Crew (13 minimum) 126.00
1 Gunners (1 minimum) 7.00
6 2nd Class Passengers 42.00
10 Bay Personnel .00
Weapons and Equipment Loc SRV MRV LRV ERV Heat Mass
3 ER Large Laser Nose 2(24) 2(24) 2(24) -- 36 15.00
TOTALS: Heat: 36 200,000.00
Tons Left: .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 188,920,275 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,043
Cost per BV: 92,471.99
Weapon Value: 2,499 (Ratio = 1.22)
Damage Factors: SRV = 22; MRV = 17; LRV = 7; ERV = 0
Maintenance: Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 19,484
(9,020 Structure, 8,600 Life Support, 1,864 Weapons)
Support Points (SP) = 23,747 (122% of MPV)
BattleForce2: Not applicable
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/23/14 10:35 AM

I'm sorry but I dont see the point in this ship. Any jumpship that has a hardpoint is far superior to this design. I dont see this as anything that would have been built.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
05/23/14 12:33 PM

I never said it was set in stone, I said it was a concept of an idea.
Karagin

Karagin
05/23/14 12:53 PM

If you have ideas on the concept, please share them, as I said it was something I found oddly lacking from the game setting and would like to hear thoughts on this as well as ideas. After all that is why we post isn't it?
Karagin

05/23/14 04:28 PM

The only fix I can see is making it a warship that is very light on weapons. That way you have lots of space for cargo
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
05/23/14 04:29 PM

Would that not be an armored jumpship then?
Karagin

Karagin
05/23/14 04:46 PM

Let me check my files I might have a undergunned small warship that could be converted to armed freighter.
Karagin

05/23/14 06:48 PM

A jumpship has only (??? 5%?) to devote to something other than the K-F Drive where a Warship has a great deal more mass to devote to something other than the K-F Drive.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
05/23/14 06:53 PM

Okay, so let's try to come up with something using the original posting as the baseline and going forward.
Karagin

Maurer
05/28/14 12:58 AM

I would think any drop ship, barring something like the Potempkin, could be used as a support ship. I don't really know, but I think the vast inter steller distances coupled with the recharge time of jump drives more or less negates the need of supply ships. Or in other words, take what you think you need to accomplish the mission and go. Should things go sour or go south, call for reinforcements or get the heck out of dodge (pretty much went on in most BT books if I remember).
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
ghostrider
05/28/14 05:44 AM

Since most of the missions do not require strategic moves, it is easy to forget that you do need supply ships.
Simple try a full invasion of a planet. Without the game master giving you full supply depots brimming with goodies such as ammo and armor patches, you eventually run out and need to ship in more. It is boring to run a years worth of games on one world.

Try running a dozen battles with only the small amount of supplies on your little dropship.
That means maybe 100 tons of armor, ammo, and such. Now fight an entrenched enemy with your small force and have them hit you while you are rearming and fixing the damage from the last battle. Maybe even have YOUR supplies raided while you were out.
Now the only way to fix anything is wait 2 months as your supplies are sent to you, and hope they are not intercepted.

A games master worth his title will have times where you can't get out of dodge, since you have no ships, or can't reach them. Remember, you do not load up in a few minutes. If they have a strong fighter force, the ship will not be able to make planet fall without crashing.
Call in reinforcements? Same time line as supplies.

Raids are easy. Planetary assaults, especially when your force isn't the one that is being reinforced are major pains.
Karagin
05/28/14 06:33 AM

In most BT books you have a single lance or star taking an entire world over and or defend it while holding off a company or more worths of enemy mechs.
Karagin

LegatusDavoke
05/29/14 02:41 PM

Or instances like the FedCom Civil War book(forgot which novel) where the Gray Death Legion, Two Steiner regiments, and the Defiance Industries Defence force hold off something like 5 regiments of Skye Jaegers in a very interesting battle where some resupply runs go wrong very quickly. As a concept, yes, a resupply ship would be freaking awesome.

(also, what do you guys use to design AeroTech? A program or just record sheets? If its a program I'd love to be pointed towards it)
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
Karagin
05/29/14 06:16 PM

The program is Heavy Metal Aero by Rick Raisley http://www.heavymetalpro.com
Karagin

05/31/14 09:06 PM

I would have thought that civilian types of something like a warships would have survived the Succession Wars. They would have been off limits to being attacked the same as jump ships. They would also be way under armed as jump ships are but carry massive amounts of cargo.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
06/01/14 04:05 AM

Jump ships were put off limit because they were the only thing left to move between systems and they were starting to become scarce. Anything that approached being armed screamed to be destroyed before the revival.
But I do agree there should be cargo haulers with jump cores. Or at least some sort of plans for them in the old data storage systems.
CrayModerator
06/01/14 01:07 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

I would have thought that civilian types of something like a warships would have survived the Succession Wars. They would have been off limits to being attacked the same as jump ships.

The reason that civilian JumpShips are off-limits to attack in the Third Succession War and later periods is that they were annihilated in huge quantities in the First and Second Succession Wars. The goal of the early Succession Wars was to destroy the ability of the other Houses to wage interstellar war.

That almost worked and by the Third Succession War JumpShips were almost extinct. Compact core vessels ("WarShips") were extinct in the Inner Sphere.

And, of course, ComStar helped the Houses along by deliberately attempting to destroy high technology like compact core vessels, the shipyards that made them, and the engineers who understood them.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6700

Contact Admins Sarna.net