Nephilidae Revision

Pages: 1
Retry
06/03/14 11:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is a revision of the original Nephilidae Mk.I ISM. Since the C3 effect of the Nova CEWS was limited on a chassis that also incorporated a Void Signature System, the Nova was removed. It still has an incredible electronics suite and has recently added two flamers for anti-infantry capabilities along with one A-Pod per leg. The new mech is about 12.5% cheaper than the original Nephie as well.
----
Nephilidae Mk.I Infantry Support Mech
Quad, Mixed (Base Clan)
100 tons
BV: 3,588
Cost: 17,663,667 C-bills

Movement: 2/2
Engine: 200 (Standard Clan)
Heat Sinks: 15 [30] (Clan)
Cockpit: Torso-Mounted Cockpit (IS)
Gyro: Compact Gyro (IS)

Internal: 160 (Reinforced Clan)
Armor: 323/323 (Hardened Clan
Internal Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso (rear) 15
Right Torso 21 32
Right Torso (rear) 10
Left Torso 21 32
Left Torso (rear) 10
Front Right Leg 21 42
Front Left Leg 21 42
Rear Right Leg 21 42
Rear Left Leg 21 42

Weapon Loc Heat
----------------------------------------
Clan Flamer LT 3
Clan Flamer CT 3
Clan Large Pulse Laser HD 10
Clan Large Pulse Laser HD 10

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
Reinforced
Hardened
IS Void Signature System Torso and legs
A-Pod RLL
A-Pod RRL
A-Pod FLL
A-Pod FRL
IS Bloodhound Active Probe LT
Clan Angel ECM Suite RT

Edited by Retry (06/04/14 09:04 PM)
Karagin
06/04/14 06:22 AM

Same points of concern as before, you can build this mech on a 50 ton frame and get more of them then your single 100 ton mech and thus able to do more.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Retry
06/04/14 02:32 PM

A 50 ton frame can only get half durability and half the firepower or about a quarter durability for the same firepower. The particular 50 tonner I'm about to post has half the flamers and lasers, none of the A-Pods and doesn't have an advanced electronics suite to complement it. It's rather a waste of the Void Signature System, and two isn't really able to do more than the 100 tonner.

----

Pocket Nephie Mk.I Infantry Assault Mech (Failed)
Mixed (Base Clan)
50 tons
BV: 1,990
Cost: 8,127,500 C-bills

Movement: 2/2
Engine: 100 (Standard)
Double Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Cockpit: Torso-Mounted Cockpit
Gyro: Compact Gyro

Internal: 91 (Reinforced)
Armor: 185/185 (Hardened)
Internal Armor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 16 24
Center Torso (rear) 8
Right Torso 12 18
Right Torso (rear) 6
Left Torso 12 18
Left Torso (rear) 6
Front Right Leg 12 24
Front Left Leg 12 24
Rear Right Leg 12 24
Rear Left Leg 12 24

Weapons Loc Heat
Large Pulse Laser HD 10
Flamer CT 3

Equipment Loc
Void Signature System Torso and legs
Watchdog CEWS HD
Karagin
06/04/14 08:59 PM

Two gets you more ground covered and as pointed out before, you can still get more for the price. One thing toss the large pulse, it's pointless on an anti-infantry mech, you don't need it. Go with medium pulses or smalls. It doesn't need to do everything, and again with your design program, what tech here is IS and what is Clan? Could you please edit that in since it's not clear as to what is what.
Karagin

Retry
06/04/14 09:17 PM

Edited it in.

Anyways, it's not an anti-infantry Piranha, it's a super-zombie mech Great Turtle that covers the field around the infantry with it's advanced electronics suite like the Raven. If I were to remove the LPLs, then the Nephilidae would lose the capability to dissuade or attack armored forces and then you'd need to add yet another design to an infantry detachment, which makes the Nephilidae unable to do it's intended role. Lacking significantly huge long-ranged anti-armor weapons is better than not having those at all.
Karagin
06/04/14 09:28 PM

Sorry just not seeing this doing anything, it's not any better then earlier version and I still feel that a lighter mech could do a better job and offer the end user more options on the battlefield.
Karagin

Retry
06/04/14 09:38 PM

Well, you could try posting your own, though I doubt I'll criticize it in any way you haven't heard before in the other Nephie thread. I really don't think it can be improved much further.
Karagin
06/04/14 10:34 PM

I could, and given that we have covered this pretty well as to what could or could not, it's up to you as to how you want to go, I am not sold on the idea of a 100 ton mech being an infantry support unit or even an anti-infantry hunter, just not practical.
Karagin

Retry
06/04/14 10:55 PM

Smaller 'mechs just haven't cut it in similar roles. They don't have quite the raw toughness to themselves and are rather wasteful in terms of electronic suite uses due to their relative vulnerability. The Nephilidae, I claim, is even tough enough to withstand a determined assault from an immensely powerful Daishi (for a long time), the clan assault omnimech famous for having unrivaled firepower. And that's something I was shooting for in this one.

I wonder if Tigershark has time for a MM game...
LegatusDavoke
06/05/14 12:53 AM

Speaking out of experience, the Nephie is definitely hard to take out. It'll give a pair of 8Q Awesomes hell no matter the range. And even Clan Tech has issues taking on almost 900 points of damage total
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
Retry
06/05/14 02:10 AM

Huh, I didn't know you tinkered with my Nephies.
Karagin
06/05/14 06:18 AM

If you say so Legatus, I am just not seeing it doing much of anything.
Karagin

LegatusDavoke
06/05/14 11:27 AM

I personally wouldn't use it as an infantry support mech, but as a lineholder it definitely excels; especially if you use it in a city to block roadways.
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
Retry
06/05/14 08:41 PM

I find it too slow to be put with other 'mechs. But if you have non-vehicle mobile infantry units you can slap these Nephilidaes on to them without slowing them down much, if at all.
ghostrider
06/06/14 05:14 AM

Retry. Why do you think people want information when posting things. The only real way to see if something is worth a crap is to use it a few times. You can post anything, but it comes down to actually using it, that you find out it works.

Without rehashing much of the old arguement, the production of mixed technologies is an issue, especially when you are mixing capellan tech with clan tech. It is unlikely that a periphery state would acquire capellan high tech.

Most think it would not work with plain innersphere tech. The range of the lpl is too short to be of use.

I guess some of the initial discussion caused you to rethink part of the mech. The a-pods and the flamers are a nice touch.
Granted you seemed to have draw alot of fire on these mechs, while ld didn't get as much yet.
Retry
06/06/14 03:30 PM

The information is all there. I even edited the stuff to distinguish IS tech from clantech, even though the only IS tech was basically the compact gyro. And yeah, I have used it a few times, and it does work. As mentioned before, it can face off a Daishi and win quite frequently. More importantly though, it can withstand a Daishi's incredible firepower.

The "periphery" state branched off of Aleksandr Kerensky's Exodus Force, which already had star league tech and due to certain events did not have to suffer from an Exodus Civil War or the Succession Wars, and neither do they have any "honor codes" that halts the development of "dishonorable technologies" like stealth, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6243

Contact Admins Sarna.net