Pearl PRL-00X LAM

Pages: 1
LegatusDavoke
06/06/14 06:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
"That's not what I think it is, is it?" The old man chuckled, "Its exactly what you think it is." "I was under the impression that LAM's were extinct..." Sleek curves, a weapons payload worth taking, armor comparable to others its size. It was beautiful. "How did...how did you fit this? It can't have anything larger than a 200 engine, can it?" Chuckling again, the old man gestured to the cockpit. "Want to give it a spin?"

Roaring over the ground in excess of 1600kph, he felt alive again, it'd been five years since his fatal accident and he thought he was doomed to never fly again, never pilot again. Yet here it was, a LAM, even better than what he had ever experienced before. "How did you get this machine to work? I've never seen anything like it!" "Its been over 300 years of research, but we finally managed to create a LAM capable of using advanced structural components. There are some flaws to the system, but we've done it! A LAM that can use XL Engines! Endo-Steel! Ferro-Fibrous! It's brilliant!" The pilot paused, "Erm...what are the downsides?"

Game Notes:Despite how awesome LAM's with ridiculous tech are, there are certain pitfalls. One major issue with these semi-upgraded LAM's is structural compatibility...again. You get all these nice weight saving things, yes, but you can't change them. If you've got Clan Endo Steel, you sure aren't using IS Endo Steel if you lose a leg, or two. Same goes for the engine and armor. Repairs take not only twice as long, but mounting and remounting weapons takes thrice as long as conventional mechs. External stores are limited to half that of standard ASF, and one more...large problem. They can't exit or enter atmosphere on their own. They require a dropship for that, and one last thing...they can only carry extra spaceflight reaction mass via external tanks. Did i mention that the Lyran standard mini-fridge also can't be installed? By far its biggest downfall.

(Before you crucify me for blatant rule-slaughtering, I'd just like to say i like the underdogs, and LAM's are certainly that. They needed help.)

Version:1.0
Pearl
PRL-00X

Config:LAM
TechBase:Mixed (IS Chassis)
Era:3147
Rules Level:5

Mass:55
Engine:330 XL (Clan) Engine
Structure:Clan Endo Steel
Myomer:Standard

Heat Sinks:17 Double
Walk MP:6
Jump MP:6

Armor:Ferro-Fibrous(Clan)
LA Armor:17
RA Armor:17
LT Armor:20
RT Armor:20
CT Armor:27
HD Armor:9
LL Armor:26
RL Armor:26
RTL Armor:6
RTR Armor:6
RTC Armor:8

Weapons:4
Improved Heavy Large Laser, Left Arm
ER Medium Laser, Right Arm
ER Medium Laser, Right Arm
Small Pulse Laser, Right Arm

Left Arm:
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
CLImprovedHeavyLargeLaser
Clan Endo Steel
Clan Ferro-Fibrous
Clan Ferro-Fibrous
Clan Ferro-Fibrous
-Empty-

Right Arm:
Shoulder
Upper Arm Actuator
Lower Arm Actuator
Hand Actuator
CLERMediumLaser
CLERMediumLaser
CLSmallPulseLaser
Clan Endo Steel
Clan Ferro-Fibrous
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
Retry
06/06/14 06:27 PM

Hmm... I do wonder, since safe thrust MP is dependant on the mech's jump MP, and the Partial Wings system increases mech MP, would a mech in atmosphere with a Partial Wings system have the safe thrust MP of just their jump jets or are the MP of the Partial Wings added in too?
LegatusDavoke
06/06/14 06:30 PM

Considering LAM's already have wings, I highly doubt that the Partial Wing would do much.
ghostrider
06/07/14 12:30 AM

Didn't think lams could use endosteel.

And one of the novels dealt with lams, and this would not be a clan approved design. Atleast the Jade Falcons would not allow it to be done.

I can, however, see a clan like the Snow Ravens, which deal heavily in aerofighters, looking into something like this. I doubt much would come of it, since most clan warrior either are mech warriors or fighter pilots.
It would be highly wasteful, and even counter productive to them to train someone in both fields.
This would be considered shameful and would (in their eyes) reduce the abilities of the warrior for not concentrating on one set of skills.

I do like the concept. It would make an interesting home rule unit.

There is one part of the stats left out. Most know a 6 walk mech runs at 9, but if we have any new people reading this, it would be good to have it in there.
LegatusDavoke
06/07/14 12:48 AM

Sorry, its the MegaMek physical code format. But no, LAMs cannot typically use these items, which is why I tried to branch out into some different ideas. And no, its not a Clan design, its a design built by my fictional company, Imperius Rex.
Retry
06/07/14 01:35 AM

The best of the best special operations troops may have to be trained in all sorts of fields to finish their missions. Think Manei Domini. A much less insane Manei Domini, of course...

Doesn't make much sense that such craft can't use the advanced tech, IMO. Hopefully Composite or Endo-Composite structures aren't off the table though.
ghostrider
06/07/14 06:05 AM

It makes sense when you are dealing with something that has 2 sets of rules to follow. Since last I knew, aerofighters couldn't use the endosteel.
I agree that some of the things don't make sense, but this is one instance I can see. The extra bulk would probably cause the weight imbalance, even with keeping it all equal. The transformation process would get caught on things, even though that is part of designing the vehicle. To eliminate these issues.
LegatusDavoke
06/07/14 12:52 PM

See, if that's the case, I would assume they'd just hack a few critical slots of each location to represent that, which never happened.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4970

Contact Admins Sarna.net