weights

Pages: 1
Hairbear541
06/23/14 11:02 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
just a general question , since battle armor suits weights are given in kilograms are the ton ratings given every thing else the european metric ton . if this is the case I've got a lot of refiguring to do on all my work sheets to make everything else kosher. your help would be much appreciated . thanks again from a devoted battletech fan .
KamikazeJohnson
06/23/14 11:23 PM

While I have never seen it explicitly specified (and the books never use the metric spelling "tonne"), I believe the intent is to use the metric throughout.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
06/24/14 03:49 AM

Might be where I live, but I thought the ton for battle tech was the 2000 pound weight.
I guess that would be something one of the wiki people could answer.

I can't even think of what a metric ton weighs at the moment.
It bites growing old.
CrayModerator
06/24/14 05:55 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Might be where I live, but I thought the ton for battle tech was the 2000 pound weight.

Nope, the BT universe is metric throughout. BT tons are metric tons made of 1000 kilograms. Continuity reviewers are expected to chastise any sourcebook writer or novel author who blurts out a non-metric unit like a pound, inch, or foot in their drafts.

Quote:
I can't even think of what a metric ton weighs at the moment.

A metric ton is a percentage more than a 2000-pound ton, being 2,204.6 pounds. For quick-n-dirty approximations, it's not enough to matter.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Hairbear541
06/24/14 07:42 PM

thanks cray , i had aways wondered , but you know those fractions of a us ton add up quickly . I know from experience refueling from an rn tanker that a us gallon does not an imperial gallon make . our refueling hoses almost burst because even though we were each set up for 300 gpm there is more to an imperial gallon . had to ask them to slow rate down to 250 gpm . so if you see any comments on wet navy subjects it comes from said wet navy experience . i'm just glad someone is actually answering back with intelligent answers and not jumping on the newbie with a 100tn mech .
csadn
06/25/14 03:39 AM

Quote:
I know from experience refueling from an rn tanker that a us gallon does not an imperial gallon make . our refueling hoses almost burst because even though we were each set up for 300 gpm there is more to an imperial gallon .

See also: http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html .

[Moral of the story: If you have to make an emergency landing do it at a place where everyone and his dog has a fire extinguisher. ]
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4531

Contact Admins Sarna.net