Anti-Sub Helicopters and Flying Boats

Pages: 1
Retry
02/15/14 01:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Apparently according to the rules a unit must be underwater or on the surface of the water to fire at a submerged unit.

This removes a potential role for anti-sub helis and fighter aircraft purposed for clearing subs.

If you were to change the rules to accomodate such craft, how would you do it?
ghostrider
02/15/14 06:55 AM

Best suggestion would be check out any WWI or WWII war games that deals with subs. They might have a good way to deal with it.

Biggest issue I could see with aircraft and underwater targets is the ability to 'spot' them. I know there are ways, but sensor for battle tech seem to defy laws of physics.

Best guess is use the bombing rules and make the bombs, torpedoes. Maybe use the arrow IV hit/miss situation. If locked, they hit on a 4+. Could bump it up 2 per level underwater they are, just to make it a little more interesting.

Would suggest the aircraft be flying under a certain speed so the torpedo doesn't explode on impact with the surface.
Hairbear541
06/23/14 11:22 PM

since mechs already use mad sensors I don't see problem with using them on airborne vehicles. these sensors give one a general location on a target , then you drop sonar buoys to further refine the target location . your fish will have passive and active sonar it's self to zero in on the target . now if you are using depth charges you will use a dispersal pattern much like a regular low level bombing run .
spdragoo
10/23/14 09:22 PM

Tactical Operations has optional rules that handles the range of sensors for detecting underwater targets with Mech sensors. It also confirms that surface & underwater torpedoes can hit underwater targets, plus it mentions specialized antisub bombs (able to reach level 50, full damage to underwater targets but only half to land targets).

The only thing it misses out on are the equivalent of Mk 46/50 air-launched torpedoes. I suppose it might be possible to adapt some of the Arrow IV-based bombs to home on underwater targets, but only as a house rule.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4050

Contact Admins Sarna.net