Water and hydrogen for fuel

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/01/14 01:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Can dropships suck in water, if there is a close enough source, and separate the hydrogen and oxygen so the ship can refill its fuel tanks?

If so how many tons of water dose it take to make one ton of usable hydrogen fuel?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
07/01/14 06:33 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

Can dropships suck in water, if there is a close enough source,

I don't think they're equipped with water pumps by default, but it'd be easy to carry a water pump as cargo. You wouldn't need a big pump, less than a ton, to move a few hundred tons of water per day if you're not lifting it far.

Quote:
and separate the hydrogen and oxygen so the ship can refill its fuel tanks?

Yes. See Strategic Operations p. 141 for the fluff discussion, and p. 179 for the rules. A fusion-powered vehicle can produce about 10 tons of hydrogen per 8-hour maintenance cycle.

Quote:
If so how many tons of water dose it take to make one ton of usable hydrogen fuel?

9 tons of water produces 1 ton of hydrogen. (Water is 2/18 hydrogen by mass, and 16/18 oxygen by mass.) Don't worry - even modest ponds may have hundreds of thousands of tons of water.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
07/01/14 08:25 PM

I don't own Strategic Operations so I cant look it up =(

OK a vehicle can make 1.25 tons an hour, what about a dropship or a 200 ton shuttle?

A Mule's engine is 40 times the mass of the largest mech engine can it make 40 times the hydrogen?
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!

Edited by His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey (07/01/14 08:30 PM)
CrayModerator
07/02/14 06:48 PM

Quote:
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey writes:

OK a vehicle can make 1.25 tons an hour, what about a dropship or a 200 ton shuttle?

Right now the rule is written as 10 tons per maintenance period for fusion, solar, and fission-powered vehicles regardless of size. There's an errata due to link hydrogen production to engine rating/size (since some folks have noted it was easy to get leetle beety solar-powered support vehicles and make as much fuel as, well, as giant DropShip), but the errata apparently hasn't hit yet.

Your suggestion of 40x as much hydrogen makes sense for a home rule.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3643

Contact Admins Sarna.net