Alternate Autocannon Ammunition:HV

Pages: 1
Retry
07/14/14 05:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The HV autocannon ammunition subtype was developed during the refining of the HVACs to be more reliable and useful on the battlefield. During the refinement of the HVAC's ammunition, the researchers found out a way to make it compatible with the standard, lighter autocannons, and developed a HV type for the AC/20. More importantly, the exploding autocannon issue was solved as well. Other than these changes, the HV ammo type functions the same as a HVAC.

AC/2 HV-30 shots, 10/20/35
AC/5 HV-15 shots, 8/16/28
AC/10 HV-8 shots, 6/12/20
AC/20 HV-4 shots 4/8/13
CrayModerator
07/14/14 07:01 PM

Too much gain, too little pain. I'd offer two suggestions to keep the weapon more balanced:

1) HV ammo for HVACs: just fix the exploding autocannon issue, but require a specialized weapon to handle the high energy munitions without exploding. Based on examples like the improved heavy lasers and improved heavy Gauss rifle, I'd recommend lowering damage or shots/ton compared to standard HVACs.

2) HV ammo for regular ACs: leave in the exploding weapon feature so (in game terms) you're not getting something for nothing and (in fluff terms) you're overstressing weapons not meant to handle munitions as powerful as HVAC rounds.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
07/15/14 12:59 AM

This HV ammo is intended to completely replace the standard autocannon shell. It'd bring the Autocannon itself in line with the newer stuff.
ghostrider
07/18/14 01:33 AM

Extending the range of normal ac's does help. Possibly upgrading either range or damage, or maybe dropping some heat would as well as dropping some weight.

Now we had discussed in another thread about better materials for ac's and I believe it was noted that the materials used in the ac's were the best they could be. Yet now the hvacs seem to use a better material. How do they cover this problem?

As for the suggestion, you could add in there that the cannon has a chance of overheating beyond the normal heat and shut down (explode?) if used more then x rounds, similar to the masc system progression.
Retry
07/18/14 08:12 PM

I never thought about heat. Upping the default heat could be used as a balancing measure, though it wouldn't effect normal vehicles which would use normal autocannons more often.

Now that I think about it, the HVAC/2 had a minimum range. Another thing I forgot.

Hmm... maximum editing time has expired...
AC/2 HV-30 shots, (3)/10/20/35, 2 heat
AC/5 HV-15 shots, 8/16/28, 3 heat
AC/10 HV-8 shots, 6/12/20, 6 heat
AC/20 HV-4 shots 4/8/13, 11 heat

Edited by Retry (07/18/14 08:16 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3813

Contact Admins Sarna.net